Animated gif: alternating turn signal & sidemarker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animated gif: alternating turn signal & sidemarker

The bugeye comes with a sidemarker (on each fender) that is constantly on with city lights. Here's how the new turn signal reflector/diffuser interacts with a known sidemarker mod that replaces the sidemarker's ground with a floating one referenced to the turn signal circuit. I was contemplating on tying the LED city light circuitry as well, but wasn't too sure about the impact on the LED durability.

Static pictures of the same:

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

I like it how it is. Is what your asking is if you should make the city lights blink too with the signal?
    The Night Rod Special build...
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-Dual-Mini-D2s
    The s10 fx-r 3.0 build...
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...lmost-complete

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was a question being asked or just a demonstration of a common sidemarker signal operation.

Comment

Ah. Yes. I meant this is what I settled with for now; city lights circuit being not connected to the turn signal. However, the amber piece on the fender is actually wired as a sidemarker in its oem configuration. I followed a mod in nasioc that swaps 1 line to make it behave like in the animated gif when turn /hazard signal is on, but function as a sidemarker otherwise.

The same connection can be made to the 3 city light LEDs, but I wasn't sure of 2 things: would the modified sidemarker and city lights alternating be counter productive (in terms of notifying others of my intention of turning), and would the frequent on-off cycling dramatically reduce the LED's lifespan.

Maybe I'll just leave it alone. I'd be more tempted to connect the city lights if I can find a compatible amber LED bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
          Ah. Yes. I meant this is what I settled with for now; city lights circuit being not connected to the turn signal. However, the amber piece on the fender is actually wired as a sidemarker in its oem configuration. I followed a mod in nasioc that swaps 1 line to make it behave like in the animated gif when turn /hazard signal is on, but function as a sidemarker otherwise.
          Yes, it is a simple matter of replacing the ground with the signal feed. Many cars do this in OEM configuration, and yours certainly is a good candidate for this function!

The same connection can be made to the 3 city light LEDs, but I wasn't sure of 2 things: would the modified sidemarker and city lights alternating be counter productive (in terms of notifying others of my intention of turning), and would the frequent on-off cycling dramatically reduce the LED's lifespan.
          One, I think it would be too confusing with all that stuff blinking. Especially if the city light and signal were alternating like in the GIF.

Two, it won't work. The way the sidemarker is working now, when the parking lights are off, it will blink ON with the signal, right? (ie during the day). And then once the parking light is on (ie at night), the light blinks OFF with the signal like your GIF.

This works by reversing the polarity. During the day, the signal feed goes through the bulb in one direction, but when you switch on the parking light at night, the current flows the other way.

However, you can wire the city light to function one way or the other, either it can blink WITH the signal during the day, OR it can function like your GIF at night. But it can't do both. I think obviously you'd have it flash at night like the GIF, and do nothing during the day.

There is a method for you to get the LEDs functioning both ways, but it requires some diodes and stuff so that the polarity doesn't change.

Maybe I'll just leave it alone. I'd be more tempted to connect the city lights if I can find a compatible amber LED bulbs.
          Those LEDs are simple 194-base bulbs right? So you could swap them, either for 194 bulbs that already have the polarity thing built in, or you could use regular incandescent bulbs. Or if you are lucky, your current LEDs already have the polarity safe built in (ie you can insert the 194 bulb in either orientation, rather than only one way)

Comment

Good point about the led's polarity; I neglected a very important issue. They are regular 194 that only works one way, so as you said, needs extra circuit.
            Good reason to tell myself not to do version 3.0

Comment

lol, well you don't have to do a third version just to make the LEDs blink!

Comment

Anytime the headlights go off the car, it's time for the next version.
                I feel compelled to try fiberglass based flowing shroud design.

Comment

Working...
                X