Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluing shroud on a projector

Hi all,

In a tight space installation, I had to cut and modify a 2.5” shroud to fit it on a 3” Hella G5 (replica).

I removed all the internal screw supports, filed everything, put the shroud in the oven to soften and then fit over the projector.

It just fits (it doesn’t cover the lens) but, of course, i now need a way to keep projector and shroud together.

My feeling is that the shroud is made of Polypropilene (by the way the plastic is - quite flexible).

Any recommendation on how to glue it to the projector?

PP is a bit infamous...

A dab of epoxy is probably sufficient. I've read others do so in this forum. (I make custom shrouds for my retrofits, so I don't have first hand experience with the conventional shrouds)
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Thanks satrya,

Will try!

PS: WOuld you recommend JB weld, or just any epoxy?

(never used JB Weld, some of the others I have used tend to be too fluid tho).
      Last edited by Starflex978; May 10th, 2019, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if there's a real difference for this purpose. The epoxy I used (not JB weld; some epoxy I found in a hardware store) allowed me to adjust the viscosity by the ratio of the two. If whatever you mix ends up too runny, I pour a little bit on a scrap sheet of metal and let it sit for a while. When it looks to be the right stiffness (by poking it with a stick), then I apply it to the surface I want it to go to.

Comment

Hi Satrya,

Good point, my only problem is that the one I have is not fast curing (4 to 6 hours), so it may be a bit trickier. However I can accelerate the reaction by providing some heat while it rests.

Will do - I also got some plastic primer to promote the adhesion.

Comment

You can always use self taping screws; 3 would be enough around the perimeter. If you place it far back enough, it may not be visible.

Comment

Working...
            X