Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyway to blackout the headlight reflector but temporarily only?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to blackout the headlight reflector but temporarily only?

I have a pair of projectors with panamera shrouds. However the shrouds look best only in a black housing as else the lights of the leds in the shroud bounce off the reflectors taking away the focus from those 4 circle leds.

I would like to black out the housing but then while selling the car it will be expensive to repurchase new reflectors after taking out the led prjectors as they will outlast the 3 year old car i guess. How to black them out yet have option to unblack them later in a few years?

I was thinking to wrap the headlight with a matte black wrap. Will that damage the reflector a lot? Minor damage will be fine as long as some light gets reflected on road when i install halogens again

Heavy layers of sprayable plasti-dip.

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
      Heavy layers of sprayable plasti-dip.
      Will a wrap not work? I was thinking of a carbon fibre one

Comment

May harm the delicate mirror coating.

Plus it's easier to spray then wrap.

Skip to 4:30 mark...

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
          May harm the delicate mirror coating.

Plus it's easier to spray then wrap.

Skip to 4:30 mark...

Thank you. So i found this rust oleum peel spray paint. However the product description says it has service life of only 3 months. Will it last 4 years in headlight?

Comment

99% sure dip will ruin the VDA coating. Some people find blue masking tape pulls it up, and dip sticks harder.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
            2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
              99% sure dip will ruin the VDA coating. Some people find blue masking tape pulls it up, and dip sticks harder.
              This is a good idea. Mask the reflector and spray over it.

Comment

Originally posted by puneet_India View Post

This is a good idea. Mask the reflector and spray over it.
                Not a chance that will last. That stuff (masking tape) isn't meant to be left on and the worst is when it is left in the sun. It will degrade, the glue will get baked on and the tape will fall off. The yellow gental stuff was the only stuff that didn't pull up the chrome on mine so blue may still ruin the chrome.
                ​​​
                Realistically it would make more sense to just do it right and permanently. When you sell the car get new headlights and sell the retrofited ones.

Comment

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post

Not a chance that will last. That stuff (masking tape) isn't meant to be left on and the worst is when it is left in the sun. It will degrade, the glue will get baked on and the tape will fall off. The yellow gental stuff was the only stuff that didn't pull up the chrome on mine so blue may still ruin the chrome.
                  ​​​
                  Realistically it would make more sense to just do it right and permanently. When you sell the car get new headlights and sell the retrofited ones.
                  If permanent is best option then isnt it better to use a carbon fibre wrap ignoring the difficulty of applicability ? It will look smashing i guess

Comment

I don't have any idea if a vinyl wrap will survive. But it gets pretty warm in there.

Comment

Yeah I'm afraid there really is no good solution here. Since you're going to get rid of the car anyway, I wouldn't even bother messing with it. Just throw in some HIDs or LEDs and call it a day

Comment

Oi! You're supposed to be providing good solutions

Comment

Originally posted by niZmO_Man View Post
                          Oi! You're supposed to be providing good solutions
                          but it is the only "solution"

Comment

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post
                            I don't have any idea if a vinyl wrap will survive. But it gets pretty warm in there.
                            I have pjx led projector so heat will be very less.

and haloruler i will still use the car for 5 years more. Anyway if i get plastic dip paint il use that as online order takes too long. If not will just use a matte black perma spray tomorrow. Expect pics of final diy and output shots on monday here. Im so excited for the weekend.

Comment

what type of car is it? either get aftermarket headlights now and transform these or transform your stock lights and buy aftermarked lights when you sell the car. I always went with option Nr.1. costs depend on the car of course. but for me it was always worth it to buy aftermarked lights for my retrofits which are also easier to open.
                              Subaru Outback retrofit:
                              http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                              License plate lights with dual brightness:
                              https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Working...
                              X