Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallardo headlight revamp ideas

Hi,

I'm looking for some ideas to update the old Gallardo headlight as it is looking dated compare to newer cars.

Here are some ideas:

1. The housing shroud is black but appears to be greyish. Do you think this is due to lighting ? I think by making the shroud of more of a pure black, the light will look sleeker. What type of finish will give it the blackest result? For example, this 2018 A4 light is very black and sleek:

2. The orange reflector has to go. What's is the best way to do it?
    3. The silver shroud can be blacked out too
    4. Adding some DRL. I don't want angel rings or some silly LED strip like this:

Any input is appreciated.

How about a "shroud" like feature that spans the inner vertical space, and then covers the turn signal completely, made of frosted acrylic. The amber turn signal will still light up through the "shroud", and may need to be boosted by some additional amber LED light sources. You can hide white LED behind that same "shroud" for DRL.

Here's a visual example of how such a frosted "shroud" will diffuse light; note that I had part of it forsted, and part of it covered with chrome-ish film:

In this picture, it doesn't completely cover the 3 LED diffusers (which you can think of as in similar position as your turn signal):

When the LED lights up, it makes the frosted part light up.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      How about a "shroud" like feature that spans the inner vertical space, and then covers the turn signal completely, made of frosted acrylic. The amber turn signal will still light up through the "shroud", and may need to be boosted by some additional amber LED light sources. You can hide white LED behind that same "shroud" for DRL.

Here's a visual example of how such a frosted "shroud" will diffuse light; note that I had part of it forsted, and part of it covered with chrome-ish film:

In this picture, it doesn't completely cover the 3 LED diffusers (which you can think of as in similar position as your turn signal):

When the LED lights up, it makes the frosted part light up.

Thanks satrya . Your mod looks great. How feasible do you think it is to take mold of the headlight and make a completely new headlight?

Comment

Originally posted by johnkim View Post
        Thanks satrya . Your mod looks great. How feasible do you think it is to take mold of the headlight and make a completely new headlight?
        Thank you. That depends on your tools and what kind of DIY you've done before. Personally, I wouldn't attempt it. Even if the main objective is to replicate the exact mounting points and dimensions that interact with other parts of the vehicle, it is already a daunting task. To also make sure that it would seal properly and have OE-like ventilation (for moisture management) would be challenging. I suppose one can take meticulous dimensional measurements, translate it into CAD, and then 3D print a replica housing. There's at least one member here that did that for a 4Runner (or another Toyota truck) and seems promising. I'm not sure if there needs to be any precautions to the type of ABS plastic to use that will last.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Can you populate the 3 curved lines in the corner of the light with some LED's for DRL effect? Maybe add some body color accents to the sea of monochromatic plastic? How about doing something with that weird slab of black under the headlights?
          2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
          1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Pics of the Gallardo please

Upgrade the projectors while the headlights are apart. Apparently it uses a Hella E55 projector, so you can swap in a EvoX-R 2.0 or a D2S 4.0 / G5 with a adaptor bracket.

Originally posted by HK45
            I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Working...
            X