Mini X5-R switchback reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini X5-R switchback reviews

I am looking to do my first retrofit in my Focus ST and want to keep it pretty basic for my first time. Looking at doing a MH1 setup. The Mini X5-R switchback shrouds really caught my eye but I can't seem to find anyone running them. Any feedback on these? Only thing I could find was a short YT video with very little information.
    https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...hback-led.html

https://youtu.be/oC6ZqBoythM

I don't know what LED's they're running, but my guess is some grossly low-powered LEDs. The lack of heat sinking suggest the low current and you can be almost sure that they are useless for DRL's. Don't even mention the Amber, see how much weaker it is? That's in a pitch black environment with no outside sources of lighting.

My opinion: save your money unless you don't care about having useable DRL and 'turn signals' from those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too lazy to browse HK45's mega-long output shot comparison thread?

Try the HIDP Projector Output Comparison App!

Comment

Even if it's a low led source the optics on the acrylic will make the light spread out and seem brighter than it actually is which is a good thing as the led could be reliable, it should be a cree led in there, lack of heat sinking could be an issue but all in all for the money it won't be bad as something you can drop in, I would also keep the oem Amber as if there is sunlight directly on it you want to make sure it's visible.

Comment

Originally posted by Trups View Post
        Even if it's a low led source the optics on the acrylic will make the light spread out and seem brighter than it actually is
        No, because the optics don't multiply the light and make light out of nowhere. It also depends entirely on the optics, with regards to efficiency and output angle. The light that is emitted by the LED's is spread out about the entire ring, so in effect you end up with lower flux and intensity all around.

Originally posted by Trups View Post
        lack of heat sinking could be an issue but all in all for the money it won't be bad as something you can drop in
        It wont be an issue. I'm willing to bet the white LED's aren't driven at anything higher than 50mA so the heat dissipation is negligible.

They could have made these shrouds so much better by allowing people to use their own emitters and extended the rings' base down, much like OEM BMW rings. That would allow for a single LED mounted on whatever heatsink people chose to use.

E.g.

Here is that ring powered by a single Cree XP-G2. Could not keep that LED powered for long without it burning up despite the heatsinking.

Comment

Not planning on relying on them as my only blinkers and not super concerned about having them as drls. I just don't want to have to replace them cause they failed

Comment

Originally posted by Ashe View Post
            Not planning on relying on them as my only blinkers and not super concerned about having them as drls. I just don't want to have to replace them cause they failed
            Well if you don't care on their functionality at all, and just for static looks then go for it. Don't expect them to be visible at all in daylight.

Comment

the rear curvature looks like they copied bmw's halo design, so with enough light grunt, they ought to be decent....

EDIT: nevermind... i saw pretty pictures and didn't read the words attached.. yeah, the x5-r's are just accent lights and nothing more, even if you managed to pump 1,000 lumens into them. they're optimised for 'wow', not output.
              The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

So would these be a lot worse than a factory BMW ring? I've been looking at the XSB 3.0 halos and those almost seem too bright for my taste.

Comment

XSB 3.0 is not brighter than a factory BMW halo. I'd say on par. The X5R will be WAY WAY dimmer

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                  2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

yeah, most halo designs outside of oem are in the method of "apply light to clear acrylic, hey it glows", where the oem design of the bmw ring is meant to extract as much light as possible out of the acrylic. they do this with at least 2 obvious things, possibly more. first is the shape of the angled 'teeth'--they're more saw-shaped then a triangular shape like most aftermarket rings. and the second obvious trick is the thinner-to-thicker design of their ring, which allows the light to flow through the acrylic and spread evenly, something that aftermarket designs also don't do.

there could be a other tricks that are less obvious in the design that encourage light to flow through better, but those 2 things above are the most obvious design traits that make their rings bright and even in a way aftermarket rings can't compete with.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      and the second obvious trick is the thinner-to-thicker design of their ring, which allows the light to flow through the acrylic and spread evenly, something that aftermarket designs also don't do.
                      That is cool! I never even considered that.
                      So the ring is thinner closer to the light source and gets thicker as it goes further away?

Comment

that's what the pictures show

Comment

So xsb 3.0s with the Mini gatling would probably be the best bet then?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuvolari

That is cool! I never even considered that.
                            So the ring is thinner closer to the light source and gets thicker as it goes further away?
                            Not the thickness of the ring itself (primarily), but the size of the prism cutouts themselves. You do see some variation in the thickness, but it's mostly to accommodate the size of the prisms themselves. I figure that they are larger the farther away from the light source to capture and 'harvest' as much of the remaining light as possible. The opposite is true when you're close to the light source, since you have such a large concentration of light, you only need smaller 'mirrors' (essentially what these teeth are) to get the same intensity.

Last edited by ileopard; January 8th, 2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashe
                              So xsb 3.0s with the Mini gatling would probably be the best bet then?
                              They won't come close to BMW intensity. The issue with XSB Kings is the lack of optics which simply spreads out the light in every possible direction where as BMW rings focus right into a very narrow area. This is why if you look at a BMW's front from the side, the rings won't be nearly as visible as when looking at them straight on. With XSB's, you more or less get the same intensity from whatever angle you're looking them from.

That means that these halos often seem very 'thin' from a distance and are much easier to drown out with daylight. BMW rings focus the light so well that you have a light-bleed effect due to the intensity even in sunny days.

Comment

Working...
                              X