Kind of made a stupid mistake..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of made a stupid mistake..

I drive a 2012 Mazda3.. Doing an official HID conversion on it and bought G37 lenses. I've always loved the look of the cutoff and beam pattern on these cars and the OEM projectors on the 3 with HIDS is Koito, same as the G37. I really want to achieve the OEM look as well. So here I am, thinking it will be a direct fit. Boy, was I wrong. It must be a 3" lens and my OEM lens is 2.5" so that is one issue. Another issue is that the bolts don't line up or at least I think they don't. I'm blocked by the plastic chrome inside of the assembly. I have a spare headlight that I try everything on BTW before I do anything to my actual headlights. So my question is, can anyone help me make this work? What can I do to get the lens to fit in my housing/what can I do to remove the chrome reflector piece in my light?

Sorry if I'm confusing you guys, wasn't quite sure how to do the wording to make everyone understand.. Thanks, guys!

Well pictures would help a bit
    Originally posted by gold94corolla
    it gets you all the b*tches

Comment

Originally posted by Mazzy View Post
      I drive a 2012 Mazda3.. Doing an official HID conversion on it and bought G37 lenses. I've always loved the look of the cutoff and beam pattern on these cars and the OEM projectors on the 3 with HIDS is Koito, same as the G37. I really want to achieve the OEM look as well. So here I am, thinking it will be a direct fit. Boy, was I wrong. It must be a 3" lens and my OEM lens is 2.5" so that is one issue. Another issue is that the bolts don't line up or at least I think they don't. I'm blocked by the plastic chrome inside of the assembly. I have a spare headlight that I try everything on BTW before I do anything to my actual headlights. So my question is, can anyone help me make this work? What can I do to get the lens to fit in my housing/what can I do to remove the chrome reflector piece in my light?

Sorry if I'm confusing you guys, wasn't quite sure how to do the wording to make everyone understand.. Thanks, guys!
      Hi and Welcome!

Wellsir - a whole passel o' pitchers would surely hep folks visualize jes WTF yer talkin' aboot! lol

so - mebbie start there ...?

good luck
      Myopic Moo

Comment

Dang! Ol' Tex be raht quick, aight!

Cheers
        Moo

Comment

I'll get y'all pics as soon as I get home! Promise! I knew it was coming, I should've been prepared lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mazzy View Post
            What can I do to get the lens to fit in my housing
            If you get a drum sander (it's that cylinder piece mounted to my drill press in the picture below, that is essentially like sandpaper rolled onto a cylinder), you can first mark a larger opening on the shroud and gradually enlarge the opening with the drum sander. It helps to have the oem piece clamped down and then use a power drill to move the drum sander around. (or in my case, clamp the drum sander to a drill press and move the piece around with both hands)
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

^^^Great idea, or u can use a dremel with the cylinder sander tip. Move in a continuous circular fashion inside ur opening until it widens to ur liking. I do this to widen my lens holders.
              Attached Files

Comment

This was the hole I was talking about..
                IMG_2735.jpgIMG_2741.jpgIMG_2739.jpgIMG_2740.jpg
                Last edited by Mazzy; August 3rd, 2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

My main issue is that the new projectors have protruding screw holes on each side. They won't allow me to even make a hole large enough to get it in..

Comment

The oem chrome piece that extends as the high beam reflector appears to be plastic, which is easier to trim off with a drum sander than metal.

If I were to do that, I would make a metal plate that has the proper holes to mount to the projector, and has the proper holes to mount to the chrome piece.

To make the metal plate, I would prototype it with cardstock or whatever semi rigid sheet you have. Make it have the right opening so it can sit on the back of the projector's flange. Then, draw out where you can drill holes on the metal plate (or the cardstock prototype) to mount it to the projector. Mark several holes in case some of them interferes with something else. Take the cardstock prototype, which at this point will already have the opening for the projector, and lay it on the chrome piece. This will determine how much the oem chrome piece opening needs to be enlarged, and where to mount the plate (or cardstock) onto the chrome piece.

When all that seems to work well, replace the cardstock with sheet metal.

Also, remember to slot some of the holes so that fine roll adjustments of the projector can be done.
                    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
                    X