Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini H1 6.0 Mounting

Hi guys,

I just installed a set of Mini H1 6.0 for my car. The alignment looked fine to me (pics) when on a wall. However, when I drive the car, especially when I turn, the left looks like it's a couple inches higher than the right, but still parallel. Has anyone experienced this?
    IMAG0025.jpgIMAG0026.jpg

P.S. Now that I look back, the right is not perfectly parallel to the left, it's tilted a tiny bit higher to the left (pics). Also, when I drive the car, occasionally, the two steps seem to come together (smaller gap between them), even thought on the wall I adjust them to be the same distance as between my headlights.

Originally posted by pkthach1701 View Post
    I just installed a set of Mini H1 6.0 for my car. The alignment looked fine to me (pics) when on a wall. However, when I drive the car, especially when I turn, the left looks like it's a couple inches higher than the right, but still parallel. Has anyone experienced this?
    How are the Minis mounted? Using the threaded back through the oem bulb opening, or a different method? Even if it is through the oem bulb opening, if the bulb opening is slightly larger than the threaded back's diameter, the two sides might sit at a different height. Over a very long projected wall distance, that could show up as uneven height.

Originally posted by pkthach1701 View Post
    P.S. Now that I look back, the right is not perfectly parallel to the left, it's tilted a tiny bit higher to the left (pics). Also, when I drive the car, occasionally, the two steps seem to come together (smaller gap between them), even thought on the wall I adjust them to be the same distance as between my headlights.
    When the steps seem to come closer, is that when the steps are projected further away? If so, that means there is a slight inwards angle between the two.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      How are the Minis mounted? Using the threaded back through the oem bulb opening, or a different method? Even if it is through the oem bulb opening, if the bulb opening is slightly larger than the threaded back's diameter, the two sides might sit at a different height. Over a very long projected wall distance, that could show up as uneven height.

When the steps seem to come closer, is that when the steps are projected further away? If so, that means there is a slight inwards angle between the two.
      The Minis are mounted with the threaded back through the OEM bulb opening, with the H7 adapter. Also, one more thing, when the distance is very far, I can still see the steps very clearly. On my sister's BMW with OEM HID, as I back the car away from the wall, the steps gradually level out. Is this just a Mini thing?

Comment

I'm assuming the BMW isn't retrofitted, so the projector lens isn't clear, like in most aftermarket ones.

With the oem cloudy or rippled or dimpled lenses, the clarity of the step is less. This makes the cutoff less bouncy when driving, and provides a much smoother transition when illuminating distant objects. And because the intensity is lower at farther distances, this does not automatically translate into glare (assuming it is properly aligned and the oncoming traffic isn't low like a go kart).

Clear lenses allow for the colorband to appear more pronounced (with a little bit of shield tinkering), but will bounce on distant objects more.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

You can't take a picture of what you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
            You can't take a picture of what you mean?
            Regarding the left projector being higher than the other, I only see that when I'm driving, and when I make certain turns, so it's kinda hard to take a picture.

Regarding the right projector rotated higher on the left side, I can see it with my eyes (or I think that's what's happening) but I don't know if you could see it in the pictures.

I'll try to realign the projectors to see if there's any improvement.

Comment

Have you ever thought of the problem being soft suspension/body roll? From what you're saying, you only get it during turns and one side is higher, so I'm assuming you're getting a lot of body roll to the point of having a noticeable difference in height. Either that or one projector is loose so the force of the turn is moving it.

Comment

Working...
              X