MH1 6.0 Cutoff Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH1 6.0 Cutoff Issue

I picked up a set of MH1 6.0 with the spyder retro quik brackets and now I'm getting this weird looking cutoff on both sides. The driver side appears to have a ghost beam above it and the passenger has a really small step. Would the bracket between the bowl and the shield cause this? Any advice is appreciated! Ignore the different coloured bulbs. That was a ballast issue that been sorted out but the cutoff remains the same.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

cut off shield needs tuning. maybe even bulb tuning depending on intensity of problem.
    Last edited by michael.kozera; April 29th, 2014, 03:08 AM.
    Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

Maybe lens tuning. My FXRs looked like that till I started tinkering with it. The bulbs are seated properly I'm gonna assume?

Comment

^^^This could be it too. When the Lens is not seated all the way forward, or is crooked in the lens holder you get this double cutoff business. This shows an improperly seated ZKW-R, and the double cutoff you get.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_vxs4SXBrM

Comment

Make sure your ~20ft from the wall.

Wiggle the bulb position, rotating, sliding it up and down watching the hot spot move on the wall. It may just be out of position.

Make sure the bulb is seated fully, sometimes the bulb hold down clip will slid under the bulb when it's being installed.

Also try smacking the light and see if it changes the cut-off. Also try activating the highbeam for a half sec to see where the shield returns. Could be better, could be worse, if so your spring may need to stretched to add extra return pressure on the shield.
          2012 Ford Fusion - halogen awaiting retrofit

Comment

How far back are you for these pics? At ~15' or less my FX-R's get that double band as well, but anything past that it's a clean line.

Originally posted by cthunder
            The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
            Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

I was 20' from the wall in these pictures. I've tried moving the bulb around but the hotspot seems to be in the correct spot. It just got worse when I moved the bulb around.

When you say "tune the lens", what do you mean by that?

Comment

If the lens seem held securely enough by the black plastic lens holder, then the lens is probably seated ok. Placement of the lens or the shield may need tweaking.

Tweaking the placement of the lens (or lens tuning) is usually done by adding washers between the lens holder legs and the reflector bowl (of the projector). Tweaking the shield is a little bit more challenging, as small changes in placement changes where the shield lands in terms of the projector's focal point.
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Could be the main front lens diffusing the output
                  Check out our current promotions to save up to 15% on your next parts order with us

Need help? Contact us - Email: info@lightwerkz.net

HID Retrofits l Halos l Lens Restorations l Repairs l Installations

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram ! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for pro tips and behind the scenes videos!

Comment

So the bracket that's between the shield and the bowl could screw with the output? The guy I order stuff through said that wouldn't make a difference.
                    If I were to start tuning the lens by putting washers between the lens and the shield, would that possibly fix it?
                    Sorry but I'm fairly new to these projector systems.

Comment

It could, it changes the focal point of the light.
                      Usually most mh1s have 1 washer between the lens holder and the bowl. At least the ones I've played with.
                      2012 Ford Fusion - halogen awaiting retrofit

Comment

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and post my results on here tonight. If there are any more recommendations, then keep them coming! I'd really like to have the cutoff MH1's are famous for.

Comment

So I took the lens off and just for shi*s and giggles I figured I'd try it without my headlight lens on. The cutoff is perfect! How would I go about fixing this?

Comment

change the distance between the projector lens and inside of the headlight lens- so move the projector forward or backwards.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Originally posted by greenkouki View Post
                              change the distance between the projector lens and inside of the headlight lens- so move the projector forward or backwards.
                              Easiest way would be this.

Originally posted by cthunder
                              The more you mod your car the moodier it gets.
                              Avalon Dual Lens | Rogue LED | Mori 3800K | Mori 3Five | H11 PnP LED

Comment

Working...
                              X