Bench top jig/alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench top jig/alignment

I do not have the luxury of having my vehicle in a garage nor able to do a retrofit in one day so I must have to use a bench top jig. Will there be an issue in me actually building a setup with similar dimensions on my vehicle, i.e. height and width of the mounting of my headlights to do my conversion?

Chances are, your rotation won't be perfect, but if you can live with that, it should be easy to do.

Comment

it depends on your headlight design/ reflector really and how sharp the OEM halogen pattern is to make your reference from. I like to use a set of welding clamps and spring clamps padded with towels as my "jig" and I mark the position on the bench with masking tape and a marker.

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

basically going to get the sections of the rad core from a scrap vehicle and use those to mount on the table

Comment

Well if you can perfectly replicate the front of the vehicle, so that both head lights are mounted exactly the same, then you can adjust both projectors at the same time to make sure that the rotation is good.

Comment

I think the jig is going to be VERY hard if this is your first retrofit. For the pros they do it every day
            AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I made one for doing f150 headlights, I was doing so many it became a necessity.

This allowed me to level the bowls, install the halogen bulbs, mark alignments and hold things in place until the projectors are mounted.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice job!

*I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Comment

Of course a benchtop power supply would be helpful with that setup too ^^^^^

(sorry for the shameless plug)
                  Headlight Sealant Database ****** PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

NEW! Benchtop Power Supplies <----- JOIN THE GROUP BUY TODAY!

Comment

Sweet setup
                    AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

I had to bench fit my projectors. Luckily, the pattern in my halogen reflectors sat perfectly parallel to the road when the truck was on the ground. So I was able to use them as a reference point to get the projector in there. Is it perfect? No. But its so close that I'm sure only someone who knew what they were looking at could see it.
                      2002 Nissan Xterra
                      | Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit | Blacked out reflectors | Body Matched Shrouds |
                      | Osram Nightbreaker D2S Bulbs | Denso Ballasts | Complete Exterior LED Conversion |

Full HID Build Thread

Comment

It really depends on the headlight your working on. I'm working on my 2010 silverado. I could not find a way to bench my entire headlight assembly. But I did find a way to make it work.

turns out that the headlight bucket housing sits perfectly level . So I made this simple set up

i welded 2 bolts to a piece of scrap I had

The factory plastic retainers slide onto the bolts keeping it in place. All I had to do was level the square tubing. When I test fit it on my truck it was perfect

Im im still working on them. I'm not done.

Comment

That really is a cool idea, i bought 2 set of head light for my car off ebay oem reps, i retrofit one at a time and use the other one that is not open for reference of the alignment . One thing i must say take alot of time when it comes to rotational . Use the best judgement good luck

Comment

Definitely each heaadlight has a different way to bench, there really is no way that there is a universal tip for all headlights. You just have to be creative. I do know that a vicegrip is helpful. Kind of the same setup as above with a level

Comment

That setup is sickk

Comment

Working...
                              X