Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another morimoto install challenge, dim output -- possibly bulb related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another morimoto install challenge, dim output -- possibly bulb related?

So I recently completed my first retrofit using the Morimoto Mini V5s and have run into some light output problems now that everything is said and done. I appreciate any expertise anyone in the community can lend my way in fixing this issue. I do not currently have cutoff pictures due to a bulb going out, but thank god it was warrantied.. once it's back I can provide some pics.

I used the following instructions (lockring + epoxy method):
    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf...1_Retrofit.pdf
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2369555

I did the basic alignment in my garage (I have learned this is now a big nono), the rotational alignment wasn't bad. Now that I'm out on the street, the light output just isn't there. At this point I believe it's either a bulb issue (not being seated properly/all the way) or some extreme issue with horizontal alignment. In reality, there is just no light output INFRONT of the car.

On the street, there is some dim light shooting off to the far right of the car, and some dim light shooting down at the ground right infront of the car, but for all intensive purposes it's almost like there's a metal plate in the projector structure that's blocking light. But, the high/low function works, so I don't really know if it's a solenoid issue or... hell, I have no idea. Again, pictures will come once I get the new bulb in the mail, for now there's not much I can provide.

In the garage, I can see the cut-off line and it appears salvageable with the right horizontal alignment fixes, but it's just so dim! So dim that out on the street you really can't see anything.

This is obviously a learning experience for me, and is one of those situations where you do it right the first time, or do it again, and again until it's right. Even though I have literally no time on my hands with a new kid at home, I'm motivated to make this setup work as it's supposed to. Hopefully with a few fixes I can salvage the situation - any modification suggestions or technical advice will definitely be taken to heart.

yeah pics will help a lot

Originally posted by Alpha.kx View Post

In the garage, I can see the cut-off line and it appears salvageable with the right horizontal alignment fixes, but it's just so dim! So dim that out on the street you really can't see anything..
    sounds like a bulb seating issue maybe, are you using xb35s ? but your other comments lead me to believe that you don't like how aggressive the foreground limiter is

it's almost like there's a metal plate in the projector structure that's blocking light.
    that would be the foreground limiter

In reality, there is just no light output INFRONT of the car.
    when you say in front do you mean starting immediately from the bumper ?
    Last edited by americanmade92; May 5th, 2013, 09:31 AM.

Originally posted by soulsea
    I'm pretty sure they are meant for off road use ... actual off road use, not pretend off road use
    Originally posted by soundman98
    fwd burnouts are kinda like wheelchair tricks to me... sure it's neat and all, but it's still operating with a handicap.. so yes, "look one-leg-dan is doing wheelies!!" sounds the same in my head as "watch this honda do a burnout!!"

Comment

I can't speak to xb35s in terms of bulbs... they are H4 bulbs that came with a kit from Kensun.

Maybe there is an issue with this foreground limiter you speak of. I imagine pictures will help when I can provide them.

If you're sitting in the car at night with the lights on, there is reflected light off to the right of the car, and some reflected light immediately infront of the car, but it's as if a metal plate is blocking the actual beam of light that should be shining on the road infront of you. Almost like someone is holding something up directly infront of the beam.

Comment

Then most likely it isn't the foreground limiter. When you said lack of light in front of the car I thought you may have been complaining(for lack for a better word) that it looks like this(see below). I'll wait until you post pics, by then the experts should be on to help you out

Originally posted by soulsea
        I'm pretty sure they are meant for off road use ... actual off road use, not pretend off road use
        Originally posted by soundman98
        fwd burnouts are kinda like wheelchair tricks to me... sure it's neat and all, but it's still operating with a handicap.. so yes, "look one-leg-dan is doing wheelies!!" sounds the same in my head as "watch this honda do a burnout!!"

Comment

I had same issue. Turns out it was a shitty bulb.

Go figure..

But I'm not a fan of the MMH1 to begin with. I have FX-Rs installed on my truck right now. No idea out the output is tho.

Comment

I think it may be a bulb seating issue... when I take bulbs out and shine a bright flashlight through the projector, the cutoff looks pretty damn good.

Comment

I can't speak to xb35s in terms of bulbs... they are H4 bulbs that came with a kit from Kensun.

Maybe there is an issue with this foreground limiter you speak of. I imagine pictures will help when I can provide them.

If you're sitting in the car at night with the lights on, there is reflected light off to the right of the car, and some reflected light immediately infront of the car, but it's as if a metal plate is blocking the actual beam of light that should be shining on the road infront of you. Almost like someone is holding something up directly infront of the beam.
              The MH1 projectors take H1 bulbs, try using the proper bulbs and your issue will most likely be fixed.

Comment

Post up some pictures; that will help us diagnose better for you. The foreground limiter, as americanmade92 said, probably makes any misaligned bulb output look even more confusing.
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell View Post
                  The MH1 projectors take H1 bulbs, try using the proper bulbs and your issue will most likely be fixed.
                  Yeah.. you are probably right. Is there any way to make H4 bulbs work in the Morimoto Mini V5 with slight modification? Now that this is installed, I imagine the retailer may not want to take it as a return, even with a restocking fee.

Problem is, the seller listed these projectors as capable of using an H4 bulb with modification... it could have been a mislisting.
                  Last edited by Alpha.kx; May 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM.

Comment

where is the link to the projectors u bought? im no expert by any means but if the projector is meqnt for a h1 then u should prob use a h1 bulb

Comment

Yeah.. you are probably right. Is there any way to make H4 bulbs work in the Morimoto Mini V5 with slight modification? Now that this is installed, I imagine the retailer may not want to take it as a return, even with a restocking fee.

Problem is, the seller listed these projectors as capable of using an H4 bulb with modification... it could have been a mislisting.
                      They probably said the projector fits an H4 housing not an h4 bulb
                      FXR 3.0, Osram 66240, morimoto 5five ballasts
                      Matchbox projectors for hi beam, 35w 4300k
                      Is300 fogs, 100w halogens
                      Originally posted by phantom240
                      Having spent a good many days helping my friend with his '85 300SDL, I can say that it takes balls of steel, an anus of concrete, and infinite patience to bring one of these Deutschland Demons back to life.

Comment

I highly doubt it only because the bulbs look completely different and the capsule would be in a different place.

Comment

No, you're right, the Mini H1 is for the H1... I was thinking an H4 bulb would work with an adapter plate.. perhaps I was wrong.

Comment

No, the projector has an adapter plate to fit in an H4 housing, get the H1 bulbs from tRS and come on back.

2000 Honda Accord SE -​Ruby Red Pearl
                            Morimoto MH1 5.0 5k 35W
                            Garnet-MR Thread

Comment

H1 bulbs ordered... I think and hope this will solve the issue!

Comment

Working...
                              X