Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best alignment of a Mini D2S ever

Howdy guys.

Thought I would share the most amazingly out there alignment of D2S.

Would you happen to have any advise on getting the lights straight and hopefully pointed upwards?

Totally at a loss on this :S.
    Attached Files

It appears that you are upside down. I advise moving out of Australia.
    Climbin' in yo windows
    Snatchin' yo Koito's up

2013 Fiat 500 Sport- Bianco Perla

Comment

Hahaha, its funny how the photo took the right way around!

Must be that true orientation filter...

Any suggestions in correcting that rather right angled right and left lamp?
      I have already filled back the H4 plate on the left but the right is really way off and pointed downwards.

Night time driving is rather dull even with high beams. :P
      Correct way up photo:
      Last edited by beingaware; June 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

The right side bulb isn't seated anywhere near correctly.

I'd start with that.

After that, both of 'em seem to be rotated clockwise. I don't know which particular car it is (could be Toyota) that has the hole for original H4 bulbs off to one side a bit, so using the adapter plate makes it impossible to have a level beam pattern.
        You'd need to remove the adapter plates (if you can) and just manually do the rotational adjustment. It's not too difficult if you have the car handy and can check whether it's good or not.

Much more difficult if you can't put the headlight on the car and adjust it before putting it all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Iv4n2402 View Post
          The right side bulb isn't seated anywhere near correctly.

I'd start with that.

After that, both of 'em seem to be rotated clockwise. I don't know which particular car it is (could be Toyota) that has the hole for original H4 bulbs off to one side a bit, so using the adapter plate makes it impossible to have a level beam pattern.
          You'd need to remove the adapter plates (if you can) and just manually do the rotational adjustment. It's not too difficult if you have the car handy and can check whether it's good or not.

Much more difficult if you can't put the headlight on the car and adjust it before putting it all back together.
          AU Lancer, I am assuming the RHD projectors didn't come with RHD H4 plates going by your post.
          I should be able to remove the plates and realign by hand, will sus that out on day break.

With the hight, what would you suggest?

Comment

There are no RHD/LHD adapter plates - I just remember hearing that certain brands of cars (might be Mitsubishi, too, I don't remember) have the slits in a different place from conventional H4 headlight systems, so you can't use the adapter plate otherwise you end up with a beam pattern like the photo shows

As for the height, are they not height adjustable? Or do you have them all the way up and it's still not enough?

Comment

There are no RHD/LHD adapter plates - I just remember hearing that certain brands of cars (might be Mitsubishi, too, I don't remember) have the slits in a different place from conventional H4 headlight systems, so you can't use the adapter plate otherwise you end up with a beam pattern like the photo shows

As for the height, are they not height adjustable? Or do you have them all the way up and it's still not enough?
              Mitsubishi, spot on! .

I will max out the bottom bolt and pull up in the upper right and see how it goes.
              Shall be an interesting day tomorrow!

Will post pics with the changes.
              Hopefully will help others in the future. .

Cheers again, you have been a big help! .
              Last edited by beingaware; June 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions Iv4n2402.
                Managed to go without the adapter plate and manually align the light.
                Right side is fixed.

Next weekend I shall do the left side along with with a headlamp cover restore.
                hid_project_by_beingaware-d53w742.jpg

Will keep you all posted.

Comment

Most JDM Headlights that i have worked on had the same orientation of the bulb. Usually the H4 Bulb is slanted at an angle

(towards right) which makes it impossible to get a straight cutoff without modifying the H4 adapter plate.

What i did was just cut the three edges and than use the adapter plate as a *washer*.

I just could not get away without that cause the hole for H4 is too big.

Another thing was to cut a slit in the new washer for the solenoid wires.

Hope it helps

Comment

Remove the inner tab on the adaptor plate to allow the projector to rotate within the adapter.

Good to see someone from Brissy also doing a proper retro, rather than just the usual lancers with PnP kits :|

I'll keep an eye out for a lancer with Mini's

Comment

Originally posted by SCIENCEEE View Post
                      It appears that you are upside down. I advise moving out of Australia.
                      Quote for hilarity

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

Originally posted by sixstring View Post
                        Most JDM Headlights that i have worked on had the same orientation of the bulb. Usually the H4 Bulb is slanted at an angle

(towards right) which makes it impossible to get a straight cutoff without modifying the H4 adapter plate.

What i did was just cut the three edges and than use the adapter plate as a *washer*.

I just could not get away without that cause the hole for H4 is too big.

Another thing was to cut a slit in the new washer for the solenoid wires.

Hope it helps
                        I had modded my H4 plate and I still had a shocking level.
                        In the end I went without the plate and just made sure it is tight.

Its still slightly off but I can fix that next weekend when I work on the left one.
                        If anything my right one is aimed up too high now haha!!! (And I thought it was still low till my drive into work this morning).

Originally posted by rbimdxe View Post
                        Remove the inner tab on the adaptor plate to allow the projector to rotate within the adapter.

Good to see someone from Brissy also doing a proper retro, rather than just the usual lancers with PnP kits :|

I'll keep an eye out for a lancer with Mini's
                        Hahaha, I had a PnP kit for the last few weeks 55w at 4300k, I must admit, it was way brighter/more light down the road then my Minis but I was certainly blinding other drivers in front or oncoming to me.

Well if you see a black CG Lancer with SA plates, you know its me! (:

What car/Projectors are you running? (:

Comment

Yellow WRX with FX-r 3.0's

Comment

Originally posted by rbimdxe View Post
                            Yellow WRX with FX-r 3.0's
                            Ahaha, lovely car. (:

Any pro-tips on increasing the brightness or range on the minis?
                            I noticed it doesn't carry as far as I am used to on high beams...
                            Change globes or do a FX-R mod in a month or two?

Comment

The best way to get more light would definitely be to change to a full size projector.

05 300C - 15 Taurus SHO

Comment

Working...
                              X