Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evo77
    replied
    Some factory HID projectors (particularly VOR aim designated lamps)do not have steps in the cutoff shield or they have very small steps that are not easily discernible at close proximity. And as satrya pointed out, the blurred nature of the factory cutoff also hides it.

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    Here's an example from a pair of OE projectors (Mazda 5) set very close to a wall. Marking the panels in the wall as numbers 1 through 7 from left to right, the cutoff elbow for the driver side projector is that mild bump at the left edge of panel #3. And the cutoff elbow for the passenger side projector is that other mild bump in the middle of panel #5.

Here's a pair of cutoff elbows from a pair of OE halogen projectors in a Ford Kuga (like Ford Edge). This is in a left hand traffic (right hand drive) locale. The left side cutoff elbow can be seen slightly to the right of the left taillight, and the right side cutoff elbow is almost out of the vehicle in front.

With aftermarket projectors, the clear lens makes it easier to discern (although the Ford Kuga example above is OE):

Leave a comment:

• satrya
    replied
    It is hard to see what the other vechile's factory HID output looks like with all 4 low beams on like that.

As for your D2S 5.0, as you marked on the garage, at that distance, there should be 1 cutoff for each projector, and since they should be aimed more or less straight ahead, will produce 2 cutoffs from the pair.

Unlike aftermarket projectors, OE projectors do not use clear lens and are not tuned to have sharp cutoff. This is actually better but makes it harder to produce the colorband that many people buying aftermarket projectors want. That also makes it harder to discern any cutoff steps.

Leave a comment:

• pur pony
    started a topic why does my cutoff have 2 steps?

why does my cutoff have 2 steps?

Hi All- In the middle of installing a set of Morimoto D2S 5.0's in my Ford Explorer. Most cutoffs I see have the step in the center. I am getting 2 steps. Does this look correct?

Also on the left are my retrofits, and on the right is my wifes factory HIDs. Why is there NO step on hers? Also in the bottom picture of my retrofits and factory HIDS, i have mine adjusted so the 2 steps are in the same line. You can see the blue line on the right headlight. I am guessing this is not correct.

thank you for any feedback.
Working...
X