Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutoff rotation alignment with brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutoff rotation alignment with brackets?

This is from last night before I got the projector angled correctly to match the stock high beam reflector aiming, but I still have the same issue with the cutoff rotation. As you can see it's rotated a tad clockwise - any tips for that?

Aight, so I got both sides open and both test fitted. I still have some rotation on the passenger side but it could be due to how the headlamp bolts into the body - the OEM was like that too so I'm not sure.

Anyway, some quick and dirty garage cutoff shots:

Passenger side still kinda cockeye'd. Not sure why the passenger side cutoff is sharper as well

High beams are pretty aligned.

Good enough to seal up and use or keep fixing...hmm...

Comment

Is this with brackets that mount the projector on the flange, or brackets for the threaded shaft?
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
        Is this with brackets that mount the projector on the flange, or brackets for the threaded shaft?
        Sorry, brackets that adapt the aftermarket projector into the OEM halogen reflector's original position.

I sealed everything up and the alignment is wayyy off. I even opened the passenger side back up to try and fix it but it’s wayyy too low now, even cranked all the way up to max vertical on the adjuster. Both sides aim weird now, drivers side seems to not want to move at all? Something with the alignment/adjusters is off, sigh. I’m really not sure what’s going on but I do know they’ll probably have to be cracked open again to fix. It’s strange because the pictures above during testing had a pretty usable alignment, not sure what happened when I sealed ‘em back up?

In the meantime everything is back to stock. Womp womp.

Comment

What vehicle is this?
          www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
            What vehicle is this?
            2006 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Can you post a beam shot from a little farther distance from a wall with the OEM headlights? I suspect that the original halogen projector isn't rotated like that. It only appears that way because the edge of the shield isn't perfectly flat and level. It may dip downwards on both ends on purpose.

I think you may be approaching the alignment the wrong way. Configuring the horizontal alignment using the stock high beam placement may not be the best method since many high beam hot spots are not centered at the H-V (horizontal-vertical) middle point. In dual beam applications the high beam hot spot is often moved slightly right or left of center. This is so that the U.S. maximum for high beam intensity of 75,000 cd is not exceeded.

Comment

Can you post a beam shot from a little farther distance from a wall with the OEM headlights? I suspect that the original halogen projector isn't rotated like that. It only appears that way because the edge of the shield isn't perfectly flat and level. It may dip downwards on both ends on purpose.

I think you may be approaching the alignment the wrong way. Configuring the horizontal alignment using the stock high beam placement may not be the best method since many high beam hot spots are not centered at the H-V (horizontal-vertical) middle point. In dual beam applications the high beam hot spot is often moved slightly right or left of center. This is so that the U.S. maximum for high beam intensity of 75,000 cd is not exceeded.
                I can try to get some shots tonight.

The initial aiming seemed decent, but I was told by Lightwerkz to make sure I had them slightly tilted upwards so they'd align with the stock high beams, otherwise the stock high beams would be pointing way up. So I added washers to the bottom and got them tilted up.

The issue moreso is that the passenger side is very very low now, even with the max vertical adjustment...this is curious since the projectors have a slight vertical tilt now. I might have messed up the alignment mounting/screws - I'll have to mess with them off car to see if the projectors at least move around when the screws are turned - if not, something is off inside.

My last resort is to transplant the projectors onto my OEM housings and seal them up with the new lenses.

Comment

I found a photo of your headlight beams.

As you can see the beam is straight across. Only the right portion of the step angles downward but the rest of the cutoff is straight and level.

If your using direct fit brackets, I can't imagine how the rotation is off. It should be perfectly level.

Comment

As you can see the beam is straight across. Only the right portion of the step angles downward but the rest of the cutoff is straight and level.

If your using direct fit brackets, I can't imagine how the rotation is off. It should be perfectly level.
                    That's the thing...it isn't. Not sure if the headlights don't fit right onto the body or what but they def had some rotation. If I can verify the OEM light isn't rotated, I may well have to move everything into the OEM backs.

Comment

Also, would you take the washers off the bottom between the projector and bracket (to point the projectors slightly upward)? I did so under Lightwerkz’ instruction but perhaps that’s an issue?

Comment

A picture of the “spacer mod” I did to get the projectors to aim slightly upwards:

Comment

I was about to ask how you're doing on your t4r thread (Username is Ed_C). Did you figure out the rotation too?
                          Originally posted by HK45
                          I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                            I was about to ask how you're doing on your t4r thread (Username is Ed_C). Did you figure out the rotation too?
                            I figured out who you were over there once I thought about it for a second...

Nope - I was supposed to mess with it this weekend but I caught a nasty bug that knocked me out for a a little over a day - spent all day sleeping and had other stuff to do by the time I could move, so no. At this point I'm kinda blaming how the TYC housing on the passenger side sit in the body (which I'm realizing could have been in a minor fender bender at some point). I think this because the stock housings seem to fit much better and seemingly aim completely straight (which is apparent now that I have actual light coming out of the passenger side lol).

I'm not sure why I was having issues with the vertical alignment either - the passenger side was cranked to the max and still was way low and the driver's side was seemingly stuck. I'm wondering if the extra washers used to tilt the projectors up caused a clearance problem with the stock shroud?

My can plan is probably just to transplant the projectors into the stock OEM backings and gluing the TYC lenses on (if I can figure out the upward tilt issue with the mod I did above is giving me issues).

Comment

Originally posted by Drift Monkey View Post

I figured out who you were over there once I thought about it for a second...

Nope - I was supposed to mess with it this weekend but I caught a nasty bug that knocked me out for a a little over a day - spent all day sleeping and had other stuff to do by the time I could move, so no. At this point I'm kinda blaming how the TYC housing on the passenger side sit in the body (which I'm realizing could have been in a minor fender bender at some point). I think this because the stock housings seem to fit much better and seemingly aim completely straight (which is apparent now that I have actual light coming out of the passenger side lol).

I'm not sure why I was having issues with the vertical alignment either - the passenger side was cranked to the max and still was way low and the driver's side was seemingly stuck. I'm wondering if the extra washers used to tilt the projectors up caused a clearance problem with the stock shroud?

My can plan is probably just to transplant the projectors into the stock OEM backings and gluing the TYC lenses on (if I can figure out the upward tilt issue with the mod I did above is giving me issues).
                              Yes the washers probably caused interference. CB&D designs their brackets for OEM headlights unless specified, and aftermarkets don't necessarily use the same internals as OEM. Did your stock headlights also have rotational aiming issue?

If possible definitely use the OEM lights with the TYC lenses. That's what some 3rd-gen 4Runner owners do, OEMs fit much better and even there are no cracking/fading issues with even the cheapest aftermarket replacements since they're glass lenses.
                              Originally posted by HK45
                              I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Working...
                              X