Housings for Retrofit - basic reflector or housing with projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Housings for Retrofit - basic reflector or housing with projectors

Hello everyone, this might be a confusing post title but hear me out. I just got a new to me tahoe and its killing me having the stock lights after having a retrofitted sierra for 12 years. So I have begun to look at retrofit options and my question is this, should I stick to an OEM styled housing and drill out the reflector area to mount my projector in OR should I get an aftermarket set of headlamps that already have some sort of cheap/crappy projector in them and swap it out for something better? I am 50/50 on this one as each has advantages, or so they do in my mind. Thanks for your input.

For what its worth, my old truck had OEM denali headlights that I did the simple plate swap with the MH1s into and loved it. new tahoe Im thinking either the bi-led M2.0 or a mini D2S 5.0 or whatever they are on now

I'd stick with OE housings as the quality would be much better, but the aftermarket projector swap path is a lot less painful.

Comment

On my daily driver, I used a pair of aftermarket headlight housings only because it facilitated for a quad setup, and I wanted to try quad to be able to use 2 different pairs (not at the same time).

Having said that, the mount for the projector provided (which had poor output) didn't necessarily make it easier for the projector I wanted to use. In that sense, having a housing with a projector doesn't guarantee that your projector swap will be easier. If the mounting points and/or dimensions are different enough, there will be work needed to fabricate some sort of adapter.

And yes, one has to be careful about choosing which aftermarket headlights to use. Some are definitely not worth their build/design.
      Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Thanks for the input, and I think that what Im going to end up doing is sticking with a stock housing to start with it. I talked to the guys at Lightwerkz and they said the aftermarket headlights I was looking at were pretty garbage for the setups with the retrofits.

I did some looking today around at stuff and originally I wanted to do with a G5 retro so I could get the width and excellence of a D2S system, however I now noticed that the MH1 ( which I had before and was decent enough ) has a much narower mounting shaft, which I believe I can just use that and thread it in through the existing h11 hole. So I think this might be what i do, since the MH1 7.0 seems to be pretty legit these days.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffSFAs10 View Post
          Thanks for the input, and I think that what Im going to end up doing is sticking with a stock housing to start with it. I talked to the guys at Lightwerkz and they said the aftermarket headlights I was looking at were pretty garbage for the setups with the retrofits.
          Lightwerkz go through a lot of retrofits, so they would probably have a reliable assessment of the particular aftermarket housing you're considering.

I did some looking today around at stuff and originally I wanted to do with a G5 retro so I could get the width and excellence of a D2S system, however I now noticed that the MH1 ( which I had before and was decent enough ) has a much narower mounting shaft, which I believe I can just use that and thread it in through the existing h11 hole. So I think this might be what i do, since the MH1 7.0 seems to be pretty legit these days.
          That is indeed the advantage of the Mini H1 series. Because of the H1 bulb rebase, the end of the projector can be made with a smaller diameter. I would pay extra attention to bulb seating with an H1 bulb; there are useful threads here on shimming an H1 bulb if the alignment is too far off.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            Lightwerkz go through a lot of retrofits, so they would probably have a reliable assessment of the particular aftermarket housing you're considering.

That is indeed the advantage of the Mini H1 series. Because of the H1 bulb rebase, the end of the projector can be made with a smaller diameter. I would pay extra attention to bulb seating with an H1 bulb; there are useful threads here on shimming an H1 bulb if the alignment is too far off.
            Yeah I spent a lot of time emailing them back and forth about it and they definitely were lots of help, so I owe my business to them when its purchase time. They did retros in two different styles of tahoe headlight I was looking at and they said both were completely wrong haha.

My main issue with using the MH1 ( again ) is that i kinda feel like if Im going to go through the trouble, i should just use a d2s projector, and wallow out the h11 hole a little larger so I can slide the bigger shaft in. I had the MH1 5.0 in my sierra and they were nice, but the sticky shields were a little annoying and I know the d2s have WAY more width with would be nice. I also know the 7.0 has made a lot of improvements over the previous versions, and already have nice foreground limiters in them. I have no issue with the 7.0 but I think for just a little extra effort on my part, I could have a much nicer setup

Comment

My main issue with using the MH1 ( again ) is that i kinda feel like if Im going to go through the trouble, i should just use a d2s projector, and wallow out the h11 hole a little larger so I can slide the bigger shaft in. I had the MH1 5.0 in my sierra and they were nice, but the sticky shields were a little annoying and I know the d2s have WAY more width with would be nice. I also know the 7.0 has made a lot of improvements over the previous versions, and already have nice foreground limiters in them. I have no issue with the 7.0 but I think for just a little extra effort on my part, I could have a much nicer setup
              I would (and did) go with D2S based retrofits myself, but the reality is that for many people, having to enlarge the headlight housing opening for a D2S can be a non starter. In that sense, Mini H1 retrofit is a lot better than PnP HID or PnP LED.

Since you're leaning towards D2S, then you should.

Comment

Unless there is an aftermarked housing with projectors that really looks the way you want it from the outside I wouldn't go that route. But I have used aftermarked original style housings because they were alot cheaper that OEM. If OEM ones are available to you for cheap and you find a shroud that is good for your headlight and style go the OEM route for sure.

Often times you would like to set the projector back a little to make it fit better then it doesnt matter if you use a threaded projector or not. I would also always go D2S. The new mini D2S 5.0 seems decent.
                Subaru Outback retrofit:
                http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                License plate lights with dual brightness:
                https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

There is an aftermarket one that I like, but it almost seems too flashy. I really think Im just going to go with an OEM style replacement since the cost is like less then 1/4 to do that. Also my OEM lights are permasealed, so I dont want to deal with that nonsense haha.

I was really trying to talk ,yself into the mh1 but if Im going to do this and i have to open the headlights up, im gonna do it once and do it with what I want. The D2S 5.0 does seem good, i cant decide between that and the G5. Both have pros and cons.

Comment

Working...
                  X