Questions, guidance on installing/aligning projectors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions, guidance on installing/aligning projectors

So, I am approaching my first retrofit on a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring sedan with halogen projectors.

I opted to not go with the 4TL-R's, beam width for me was too narrow. The Maxima's were recommended to me as being better with E30 lenses and curved shields.

I will be installing 09-15 Maxima projectors with some custom work (E30 lenses, curved shields and tuning) done on them. I know these are not a direct drop in, but my question is surrounding the topic of proper alignment and aiming.

I believe these lights to be from a 2015 Mazda 3 - The picture shows Maxima projectors already in place. - How in the world do you get a proper aim and alignment if you have to drill new holes for mounting the projector??
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...73#post1236073

So I noticed JnC's sticky on alignment of the projectors
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...j-Capability)=
    But all the picture links in Firefox are these little broken pictures, and in chrome there are no pictures or broken pictures.
    I started reading through that sticky, but it seems like the pictures would help explain the text.

Can anyone help? I've searched. Found lots of threads, but it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack. There's a lot I don't know and I'd like to be as well prepared as possible once I my headlights off my car and open them up.
    Last edited by mboat01; March 14th, 2019, 05:39 PM.

Use a bracket(s)? Measure twice cut/drill once? Or make the drilling adjustable by elongating the holes?

Comment

Here's what I would do. Print out the diagram for the 4-TLR at this link https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...oto-4tl-r.html. This has the same bolt pattern as the factory halogen projectors. Make sure it's printed 1:1, so that the measurements in the diagram match what they actually measure. Then place the Maxima projector on the paper template and mark the holes while the cut-off shield is parallel to the 4-TLR template, and the center of the lens is matched up with the lens on the diagram. To check that everything matches up, you can cut the holes out for the 4-TLR pattern and bolt it on the headlight housing. Then put the lens back on temporarily and make sure the lens is centered. Then transfer the Maxima holes you marked on the template onto the housing, and drill.

Comment

Originally posted by acedeuce802 View Post
        Here's what I would do. Print out the diagram for the 4-TLR at this link https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...oto-4tl-r.html. This has the same bolt pattern as the factory halogen projectors. Make sure it's printed 1:1, so that the measurements in the diagram match what they actually measure. Then place the Maxima projector on the paper template and mark the holes while the cut-off shield is parallel to the 4-TLR template, and the center of the lens is matched up with the lens on the diagram. To check that everything matches up, you can cut the holes out for the 4-TLR pattern and bolt it on the headlight housing. Then put the lens back on temporarily and make sure the lens is centered. Then transfer the Maxima holes you marked on the template onto the housing, and drill.
        That makes sense, I may try that approach. Someone suggested that I get a junk 2017-18 Mazda 3 headlight and practice on that one and see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by mboat01 View Post

That makes sense, I may try that approach. Someone suggested that I get a junk 2017-18 Mazda 3 headlight and practice on that one and see how it goes.
          Yeah, they're not too expensive if you find a good deal. I got one headlight for $120 on eBay in near perfect condition. Still looking for the other one. I'm currently working on fitting a Profile Bi-LED 2.0 in my 2018 Mazda3 headlights. But even though you have one to practice on, I'd still try to make some kind of template to get it as good as you can the first time.

Comment

I'd get laser cut brackets. The holes will be precise because of the CAD design. And you won't have to worry about measuring accurately and getting them all aligned perfect. Just bolt-on and go.

(this is just for reference as I know these are not the same projectors talked about in this thread)

Check out this place here to see if they have the Stanley and Koito bracket holes on file so it should be an easy for them to fab up a pair for you.

custom-brackets-designs.myshopify DOT com (i would link it but this forum quarantines links for Admin/Moderator approval)

Comment

Originally posted by acedeuce802 View Post

Yeah, they're not too expensive if you find a good deal. I got one headlight for $120 on eBay in near perfect condition. Still looking for the other one. I'm currently working on fitting a Profile Bi-LED 2.0 in my 2018 Mazda3 headlights. But even though you have one to practice on, I'd still try to make some kind of template to get it as good as you can the first time.
              I did happen to locate a left side cheap one (less than half of what you paid) with free shipping on ebay. We'll see when I get it if it is in good shape as the seller told me.

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
                I'd get laser cut brackets. The holes will be precise because of the CAD design. And you won't have to worry about measuring accurately and getting them all aligned perfect. Just bolt-on and go.

(this is just for reference as I know these are not the same projectors talked about in this thread)

Check out this place here to see if they have the Stanley and Koito bracket holes on file so it should be an easy for them to fab up a pair for you.

custom-brackets-designs.myshopify DOT com (i would link it but this forum quarantines links for Admin/Moderator approval)
                I may look into that. Thank you. Good to know there's someone else doing a retrofit on the same car. What color is yours? Model, trim?

Comment

Working...
                X