Reflector bowl collapse after retrofit.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by satrya View Post
    If I were working on that project and interpreting the direction you want to go, I would "echo" the gatling shroud's multi-size panels around it by making radially inwards panels from the OE freeform reflector edges towards the shroud/lens. The panels would attach at the edges and would be floating where they get close to the shroud & lens. You can make it out of any thin material that is easy to cut, but it might be easier to use thin sheet metal, as you can bend the outer edge inwards to hide the glued / bolted part (to the OE reflector). Then, find those adhesive-backed chrome decal strips. I'm not talking about aluminum tape, which has a slight brushed metal finish. Rather, the more mirror-like finish. Tape those on the panels that you fabricate.
    I was thinking along the same lines, using thin sheet metal (or plexiglass formed with heat gun) and reflective, mirror finish tape. As you said, chrome paint will have a fairly different color. Would be probably more effective two layers of paint, the first one to create a textured surface (same as 80' car bumper) and then chrome. Indeed it will still look different but probably less fake (I suppose a similar finish is what you meant with "rough surface chrome cover".

I guess that the this metal would be the easiest.

Comment

What about texture &/ darker colors that already exist somewhere on the exterior of your vehicle? You can echo those and it may be easier to produce.

Regarding the shroud extension using sheet metal; maybe consider the panels getting close enough surrounding the shroud and lens but not actually directly connected to it. Properly affixed, sheet metal can result in shapes that seem to float. Here is an example from a foglight retrofit (link in my signature), where I used cardstock to prototype a custom shroud, and then use thin sheet aluminum to make the "shroud". In this particular case, I didn't try to echo the shapes of freeform reflector facets, but hexagons instead.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

That's another option that I can consider - good idea!

I already have a can of paint that matches the color of the bike (prepared via formula, so exact match - for whatever it matters in this particular case). The fact that the color is matte and not glossi helps as well, as it would cover the imperfection quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Starflex978 View Post
          I already have a can of paint that matches the color of the bike (prepared via formula, so exact match - for whatever it matters in this particular case). The fact that the color is matte and not glossi helps as well, as it would cover the imperfection quite well.
          And if it is a dark color, maybe you can also have some of the "panel"s behind that are closer to chrome. The fact that the darker colored panels are in front of the chrome colored panel also makes any chrome approximation more ok visually.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
          X