Q45s in IS300 headlights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q45s in IS300 headlights

My buddy picked up some Q45s and wants them in his IS300 headlights. I am having trouble figuring out how to mount them without cutting anything. The projectors barely clear the housing. Anyone have any ideas how I can mount them?

Held by one of the adjustment screws

Projector is tilted when mounted on the headlights existing screw

barley any clearance unless I trim/cut. Should I ?

Let me know if you guys have some ideas. This is by far the biggest projector ive worked with.

I would consider fabricating a ring that is slightly bigger than the lens holder's diameter, and drill 2 holes on the left and right to mount onto the lens holder (i.e. drilling 2 holes onto the lens holder) to secure the ring to the lens holder via the 2 screws (with appropriate washer and locking nut). If you imagine the ring being fixed in space, this allows the projector to make small adjustments in pitch angle (i.e. the up-down aim).

Then, drill 2 holes at the top and bottom of the ring, and mount directly at the bottom and top of the housing. Looks like there is enough housing plastic on the bottom for a screw to go through, but you may need to extend the upper part of the housing with a metal bracket to mount the top side screw. Then, the ring can make small adjustments in yaw angle (i.e. the left-right aim).

When the projector is mounted to the ring which is mounted to the housing this way, the projector has some yaw and pitch adjustment capability.

Further in the back, I'd put a threaded hole (e.g. by bolting a plate with a threaded hole) on the top of the housing to let a long bolt through, connected to a pin joint so that turning the screw clockwise can lower the back of the projector (i.e. increasing pitch aim), and turning counter clockwise decreases pitch aim.

Same principle, with another bolt on the side of the housing, mounted on another pin joint near the first pin joint, allows for yaw adjustment.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I know this is a very classic/old retrofit for this car, but I've never seen how it was done. It's mostly just for looks anyway, i think people probably just wedge it in there and not really care about the output/alignment/adjustment

Comment

@goldCorolla, yes this very true. My coworker actually wants the projector in there for looks. He said to just throw it in there and close up the headlights. Easier said than done huh?
        I

Comment

I was finally able to mount the Q45 using the headlights existing screws but due to the projectors large size some of the headlights decoration housing had to be cut and trimmed around the circumstance.

Comment

I always hate cutting around the circumstance, but whatever gets the job done!

Comment

Certain circumferences call for circumstance to be cut.

Comment

Originally posted by THEONE45 View Post
                I was finally able to mount the Q45 using the headlights existing screws but due to the projectors large size some of the headlights decoration housing had to be cut and trimmed around the circumstance.
                Any pics of finished products ?

Comment

Working...
                X