Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting directly to a headlight housing as opposed a existing reflector or bracket?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting directly to a headlight housing as opposed a existing reflector or bracket?

I discovered a MH1 fits nicely in place of the existing turn signal, the shaft fits perfectly through the bulb socket hole.

stock

MH1. Socket opening on the upper left is the corner parking light, I can enlarge it to fit a 7443 so it's a parking/turn signal. JDM versions of these headlights use this corner as a parking/turn signal, and a reflector highbeam where the US turn signal is.

With outer chrome housing on. Just a mock-up,it will be recessed if I trim a lip from the housing.

My main concern is will the housings melt from heat of the projector bowls? I could try making a mounting plate or rivet nuts directly to the housings, then enlarge the existing bulb socket hole so the bowls don't make direct contact with the housings, so it'll be a nut-and-bolt install. JNC method won't work, there's a mounting bracket directly below (unbolted for the pic) where the mounting hardware would go through so I won't be able to adjust them.

Originally posted by HK45
    I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

they don't melt from halogens. i doubt they'll melt from quality bulbs
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Other issue is aim... if the reflectors have to be pitched you have to figure out how to move the MH1 with it

Comment

I was going to nut-and-bolt the projectors, but decided to leave the turn signals as-is.
        Originally posted by HK45
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          they don't melt from halogens. i doubt they'll melt from quality bulbs
          Except the bulbs don't sit on the PP housing, they twist into the FRP bowl and probably with a socket if that's a turn signal or on a plastic base if that's a 9005 high beam. The black PP has a melting point of 320F, probably OK anyway.
          2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
          1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Working...
          X