Bi-led retrofit heat question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bi-led retrofit heat question

I plan to install a Bi-led projector that is all one unit (like Koito, driver integrated with projector). I also plan to install led halo which also has a driver and an inline capacitor due to PWM from car and need constant power. Can I install all these items in the headlight housing and seal it up if they fit or will the heat produced by the heatsink on the projector plus the halo driver and possibly from the capacitor possibly damage the headlight or the devices?

Will it damage the headlight? Absolutely not. But I would absolutely mount the drivers and caps outside the headlight. They tend to fail and you want them accessible.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

any high heat device is better mounted away from the housing, so it can both get rid of the heat, and also not affect the other components as much. but i don't believe you need to route the kioto driver away from the projector, as that would require a lot of work with no benefit-- those drivers don't make any heat compared to the led they drive.

but the capacitor/load resistor setup for the pwm correction likely does, and that is the component i would keep away from the led ring and projector.
      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

I had wanted to just mount everything inside the headlight to keep it clean and easy but I do see the point regarding equipment failure and ease of access. Dont want to have to cut open headlight again unless the projector fails, the other stuff is just swap in/out. Also, checked with distributor and they also recommend putting led driver and the capacitor on the outside for ease of replacement if they fail. Just gotta figure out how to mount the outside the housing.
        Last edited by cadillacats2013; April 3rd, 2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Good luck!

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Working...
          X