Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info needed on Acura Jewel Eyes

Hey guys,
    I have been toying with the idea of retro'n a set of the jewel eyes into my Tacoma. But I have a few questions, since these projectors are new to me;
    1) Does anyone have an overall dimension of the projector lens(s) all together? Width/Height/depth?? I need to know if my bucket will accommodate it before I purchase a set
    2) Are they on par, or superior than most single lens projectors? (RX, 4.0, s2k, etc)
    3)How is the cutoff??? I do know I can tell when one is coming head on with me
    4) Does anyone mod the cutoff shield on these???
    5)Are the bulbs/ballasts swappable? Or should I stick will the factory spec'd stuff.

Thanks guys!!!

I haven't ever worked with any but here goes.

Not on par with high end OEM tuned xenon projectors

You can't swap the ballasts and there are no bulbs. Its all LED based with specific computers.

Don't think the cutoff is changeable or moddable.

Most likely only the new Tacoma would be able to handle it, if any. But even then it would be silly since the RX350 swaps into those nicely.
    Check out our current promotions to save up to 15% on your next parts order with us

Need help? Contact us - Email: info@lightwerkz.net

HID Retrofits l Halos l Lens Restorations l Repairs l Installations

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram ! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for pro tips and behind the scenes videos!

Comment

Originally posted by Lightwerkz Global Inc. View Post
      I haven't ever worked with any but here goes. Not on par with high end OEM tuned xenon projectors You can't swap the ballasts and there are no bulbs. Its all LED based with specific computers. Don't think the cutoff is changeable or moddable. Most likely only the new Tacoma would be able to handle it, if any. But even then it would be silly since the RX350 swaps into those nicely.
      Thanks for the quick reply Cesar. I actually bought my Tuned RX350's from you that are in my Tacoma now. Yes, they were plug and play(minimal mods) which was nice. But I'm looking to go a little more custom. I think the overall dimension of my 3rd gen headlights might work well with the rectangle shape of the Acura projectors. DOH, forgot they were LED based. But I'm spoiled with the RX cutoff and output.
      Want to rip one apart?
      Last edited by bmxpert57; March 11th, 2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I think it depends on which set of acura Jewel eyes you want to retrofit. The RLX jewel eyes are brighter and wider and have a better highbeam than all HID projectors. They are also much smaller than the MDX jewel eyes. They are the best set of headlights I have ever seen.

The MDX jewel eyes have an extremely intense beam throughout but it is rather narrow compared to most high end HID projectors. I have not measured the intensity of the highbeam on it but it will probably beat most HID projectors too. The biggest downside to these as stated early is their narrow beam width and large size.

The the RDX jewel eyes are also different for the MDX and RLX. I've never had a set of these but my brother has the RDX and his headlights were way brighter than my RL retrofit.

Then you have the Honda Accord and Civic Touring multibeam headlights. These overall are dimmer than an HID setup but distribute the light much effectively than any HID projector I've had except maybe the S2K. Overall I find them providing superior visibility even though they are dimmer.

I have a lot of photos of all these headlights I can upload for you when I get a chance.
        Custom shield service not available at this time.

PM is not a great way to reach me. Email me at imagioX1@outlook.com

Comment

It's a bag of worms in my opinion. You may run into issues with fitment. Even if they fit you have to make sure they are parallel vertically and horizontally. Then they also need to be adjustable for at least vertical height.

Personally I'd say do a quad hid projector or a dual led projector unit plus and hid projector, etc...there are so many options out there and once you start going into 2 or more HID projectors, their intensity will shoot up higher than these led jewel eyes because remember, according to DOT safety regs. OEMs cannot be too bright.

Many Morimoto projectors already come so intense in stock form, they would not pass DOT regulations.

Comment

Okay so I hope you can get an idea of what to expect from the Jewel eyes from these images.

RLX vs Ls430 (Remember the RLX aand the Ls430 are side specific)

RLX lux reading

Ls430 lux reading(Same distance as the RLX)

RLX lowbeam and Highbeam ASM vs Ls460

RLX have a super thin profile

MDX vs S2K

MDX vs S2K dimmed

MDX vs RLX

MDX vs RLX(RLX is the wider beam)

Accord Touring LED's

Accord Touring vs TL

Accord Touring VS TL#2

Accord Touring VS TL#3

Comment

Thanks for all that detailed info xmagio. Well shucks.
              Factory output looked awesome. but the fact it's not tuneable stinks. I bet it is, would just be a PITA to do each one. Guess I'll stick with 4 rx350's until I can source a set of R8 laser beams...
              Last edited by bmxpert57; March 12th, 2017, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Demon eye RLX anyone?
                Going to add more and hopefully be bright enough for a DRL.

Comment

Originally posted by bmxpert57 View Post
                  Demon eye RLX anyone? Going to add more and hopefully be bright enough for a DRL.
                  Woah that looks angry :O

Comment

That's sick.

Comment

That looks very cool

Comment

Here's an update on the jewel eyes. I have a Left and right now. Here are some test fit pics;

Chrome rings now "black chrome"

It fits! And I was able to utilize the stock turn signal bucket(most of it at least)

Next to my RX350 retros

Hardest part is going to be the level adjustment. Factory buckets have 2 pivot points at the TOP with adjustment screw at the bottom. The RLX's are opposite(pivots on bottom, adjust on top)

Comment

That looks awesome!

Comment

:O I'm excited to see how this works out

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                            2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Crazy retro! The RLX's have a funny shape but they actually look pretty good in the Tacoma housing. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Comment

Working...
                              X