Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any 2.8" lenses available?

Hi all,

Trying to do a clear lens swap on my old Golf Mk7 GTI projectors. If they perform better than OEM (which I think they would), I will put them into my new headlights. I managed to get the lens off the projector (seems like it's glued or pressured onto the frame? The projectors looks like this:

The front black part with the 2 legs is the same as on my projectors (one leg in the bottom). The projectors should be totally alike and the seller states that these projectors use 2.5" lenses, however I measured the one I got out to be 7cm or 2.8". 2.8" seems like an odd number to me, I suppose you have to measure from edge to edge, to get the correct width?

Never the less, I would be happy if some people would know if there's any 2.8" clear lenses available on the market today? I could also do with the clear lens built into the black 3-legged front. Unfortunately a projector swap is a no-go for me since I have dynamic highbeam on my golf.

I have 1 of these projectors.
    AFAIK its only that lens that it takes. Its actually a 2.75in projector.

I just need another one then I'm happy
    1999 LR Discovery II XS 4.0L V8 auto - Halogen

2012 Ford Figo TDCi - E46 projectors - XB35 ballasts - 4300k Bosch D2S bulbs - G37R shrouds - BIXENON stickers - H4 Mori wiring

Comment

God damnit... I was really hoping a clear lens in that size would be available out there.

Comment

For stock projectors they aren't bad. I love its weight. Cant wait till I have a pair in my car.
        Here is a link on a bit more info on them.
        http://factoryxenon.com/shop/2x-oem-...or-retrofit-2/

2012 Ford Figo TDCi - E46 projectors - XB35 ballasts - 4300k Bosch D2S bulbs - G37R shrouds - BIXENON stickers - H4 Mori wiring

Comment

If I query the aliexpress website for a 2.8" projector, I get a few generic aftermarket ones.

It's unclear whether the focal length is in a compatible range with your projectors (looks similar to Audi S3 iirc), and whether or not the outside diameter (listed as 2.8") is actually close to what you need.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I agree that the OEM projectors are pretty good, however I've been used to the clear lens with super sharp cut-off (got Evo-X on the old car), so it's hard to deal with this.

@Satrya, thanks I looked a little bit. TRS doesn't seem to be able to source these. I just tried to compare the focal point of the OEM fresnel lens with a ZKW lens and they seem to be the same.

Comment

How wide are those G7 projectors?
              Everyone I ask to look at their headlights look at me in a weird way??

Comment

Originally posted by MRauties View Post
                I have 1 of these projectors.
                How wide are those G7 projectors?
                By "G7", did you mean that same projector OP posted? But you have one, right?

From TRS's Mega Projector thread ( http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-Post-via-TRS ), it looks like the Audi S5 ones:

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  By "G7", did you mean that same projector OP posted? But you have one, right?

From TRS's Mega Projector thread ( http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...r-Post-via-TRS ), it looks like the Audi S5 ones:

yup only have one. Got it free. Hoping I can get another tomorrow.. And still waiting for my one friend on info regarding ballasts.
                  if thats them they aren't soooo wide. But wide fogs will make up for that

Comment

Is that projector with a clear lens? :O

Comment

Aren't the Mini D2S 2.0 fitted with 2.8" lenses?

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

The round MD2S is 3 in.
                        The square MD2S is 2.75 in.

Comment

Mini D2S 2.0. Previous generation.

OEM halogen reflector headlights | Osram Rallye H7 65W low beams | Philips Vision H1 55W high beams | Pre-facelift orange indicators

Retrofits in progress: MDX LED retrofit | RX350/EvoX-R quad w/'moto HD relay, Mitsubishi gen4 ballasts and selectable quad wiring (needs lots of fixing)

My retrofits

Comment

Think they were 2.5in projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by csjoh View Post
                              Mini D2S 2.0. Previous generation.
                              Think they were 2.5in projectors.
                              I didn't measure the Mini D2S 2.0s I have; but I've placed the lens back-to-back against the TL and RX330. Both have a larger diameter than the Mini D2S 2.0. There may be generic aftermarket versions that advertise themselves as having a 2.8" lens, but that may just be including the plastic lens holder; I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X