G37 sedan bixenon projectors - modding for color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G37 sedan bixenon projectors - modding for color

I'm picking up parts to eventually retrofit my 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i that came with pretty decent halogen headlights. After much thought, I ended up choosing to go with either Murano, 350z/370z, or G37 sedan bixenons. TheRetrofitSource had a set of G37 sedan bixenons in their closeout section for a great price, but I had some reservations. I decided to use their chat feature to ask random questions like if they came with bixenon solenoid pigtails, what clear lenses to use, if shroud centric rings would be required, etc. I got straight forward answers and liked what I saw, so I ordered them along with STI-R clear lenses and Apollo 1.0 shrouds (I really like these shrouds - I've got a set installed in my Accord with the TSX retrofit). Shipping was quick and everything was packaged as you would expect for delicate headlight parts.

So, with that background and mini-review of TRS out of the way, here's what I did with the projectors and clear lenses: replace the OEM fresnel lenses with the STI-R clear lenses. After installing the clear lenses and testing the output, the clarity of the cutoff was greatly improved (sharpened), but the color at the cutoff was a rainbow instead of the expected blue/purple. I also noticed a dip in the output on the left side of the cutoff which was being caused by a secondary cutoff shield that pokes out over the top of the primary cutoff shield. To fix the cutoff color, I had to make my own lens spacers. To fix the dip in the output, I bent the secondary cutoff shield to be below the primary shield. Here's the step by step with pictures:

OEM G37 sedan bixenon projector with fresnel lens:

Remove the OEM lens by removing the 2 screws holding the lens retainer on the projector body. Behind the lens is the stock lens spacer. I used this as a template to make more lens spacers from cardboard I had laying around.

Here's what the output looked like without extra lens spacers, but with the STI-R clear lens:

Install the lens spacers and STI-R clear lens and reinstall lens retainer with the 2 screws:

Now to fix the shield. Split the projector halves by removing the screws in the top left corner and bottom right corner of this picture:

You can see the primary cutoff shield (silver, curved in the center) and the secondary cutoff shield (black rectangular piece). Remove the clips on either side of the shield - this will allow the cutoff shield along with the pivot bar and spring to drop away from the projector.

I elected to bend the secondary cutoff shield below the primary. This fixed the output.

Put everything back together and fire up the test station.

Great color, sharpness, width (can't tell inside my garage, but I brought the whole thing outside and it's more than wide enough for my purposes).
    It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
    2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Nice work, that looks great! The left side of the original beam really looks poor and you fixed that right up.
    Nathan
    1998 BMW M3 5 Speed Sedan
    FX-R Retrofit

Comment

the sedan projectors are one of my favotites. cheap and good output.

2000 Mustang Gt-SOLD RX350's Osram, Morimoto 5five ballast
      2006 GSXR-G37 Projector,XbaLed halos,Morimoto 3five,Morimoto 4300k
      2000 Ford Expedition-FX-R1.0s,Morimoto4300k,Morimoto 3five

Comment

^^^Love the block under the kick stand haha
        '04 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
        Awaiting a Proper HID retrofit (RX350)
        '00 Corvette 6spd; FBO LQ9, FX-R 3.0 on 50w
        '94 Camaro LQ4/4L80e Swap; WR
        '93 W/T 1500 RCLB LQ4/4L80e Swap; Sealed 6

Comment

Originally posted by MGMTF View Post
          ^^^Love the block under the kick stand haha
          hole saw actually lol.

2000 Mustang Gt-SOLD RX350's Osram, Morimoto 5five ballast
          2006 GSXR-G37 Projector,XbaLed halos,Morimoto 3five,Morimoto 4300k
          2000 Ford Expedition-FX-R1.0s,Morimoto4300k,Morimoto 3five

Comment

Oh okay lol
            '04 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
            Awaiting a Proper HID retrofit (RX350)
            '00 Corvette 6spd; FBO LQ9, FX-R 3.0 on 50w
            '94 Camaro LQ4/4L80e Swap; WR
            '93 W/T 1500 RCLB LQ4/4L80e Swap; Sealed 6

Comment

Originally posted by infinite012 View Post
              I'm picking up parts to eventually retrofit my 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i that came with pretty decent halogen headlights. After much thought, I ended up choosing to go with either Murano, 350z/370z, or G37 sedan bixenons. TheRetrofitSource had a set of G37 sedan bixenons in their closeout section for a great price, but I had some reservations. I decided to use their chat feature to ask random questions like if they came with bixenon solenoid pigtails, what clear lenses to use, if shroud centric rings would be required, etc. I got straight forward answers and liked what I saw, so I ordered them along with STI-R clear lenses and Apollo 1.0 shrouds (I really like these shrouds - I've got a set installed in my Accord with the TSX retrofit). Shipping was quick and everything was packaged as you would expect for delicate headlight parts.

So, with that background and mini-review of TRS out of the way, here's what I did with the projectors and clear lenses: replace the OEM fresnel lenses with the STI-R clear lenses. After installing the clear lenses and testing the output, the clarity of the cutoff was greatly improved (sharpened), but the color at the cutoff was a rainbow instead of the expected blue/purple. I also noticed a dip in the output on the left side of the cutoff which was being caused by a secondary cutoff shield that pokes out over the top of the primary cutoff shield. To fix the cutoff color, I had to make my own lens spacers. To fix the dip in the output, I bent the secondary cutoff shield to be below the primary shield. Here's the step by step with pictures:

OEM G37 sedan bixenon projector with fresnel lens:

Remove the OEM lens by removing the 2 screws holding the lens retainer on the projector body. Behind the lens is the stock lens spacer. I used this as a template to make more lens spacers from cardboard I had laying around.

Here's what the output looked like without extra lens spacers, but with the STI-R clear lens:

Install the lens spacers and STI-R clear lens and reinstall lens retainer with the 2 screws:

Now to fix the shield. Split the projector halves by removing the screws in the top left corner and bottom right corner of this picture:

You can see the primary cutoff shield (silver, curved in the center) and the secondary cutoff shield (black rectangular piece). Remove the clips on either side of the shield - this will allow the cutoff shield along with the pivot bar and spring to drop away from the projector.

I elected to bend the secondary cutoff shield below the primary. This fixed the output.

Put everything back together and fire up the test station.

Great color, sharpness, width (can't tell inside my garage, but I brought the whole thing outside and it's more than wide enough for my purposes).

great job you did.wonder why those g37 projectors got put in the closeout section ofbthe trs site?was it cuz of tyebshield?well whatever the case was,you fixed it right up.props bro.
              2001 Honda Civic LX sedan 5spd classic/generic mini H1 projectors w/custom shield.

Comment

I wish i have the same skills, my Santa Fe DM have crappy projectors like that on the 2nd pic

Comment

just might have to get me a set..

Comment

Originally posted by terez View Post
                    just might have to get me a set..
                    where ya at in sc??

Comment

Originally posted by Prorektor View Post
                      where ya at in sc??
                      Greer

Comment

These definitely are the next projector I want to use for a project. TRS alwys has them reasonable just the random luck of projectors scare me. I don't wanna use bowls with burn marks and it seems like TRS can't guarantee that
                        AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Yeah thats the only thing keeping me from getting the $67 ones they have. No guarantee

Comment

Originally posted by terez View Post
                            Yeah thats the only thing keeping me from getting the $67 ones they have. No guarantee
                            I guess for people near by Atlanta they can walk in and get what they want
                            AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

They used to be $50 until recently when the price was raised to $67.50. I think at the $50 mark it was worth the 'gamble' so to speak...

I bought my pair, mint w/ oem shrouds, from a member here for $60 + shipping. They do used to come up from time to time but haven't seen them in the FS section in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X