EvoX-R (e55 replica) foreground limiter shield: pics & template

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EvoX-R (e55 replica) foreground limiter shield: pics & template

Pictures of foreground limiter shields I trimmed for EvoX-R biXenons. The set of 2 holes on top of one another allows the shield to be set at either mild or aggressive (more pics later). The shields are made of thin sheet aluminum that is easy to drill and cut.
    The additional mark at the bottom of one of the shields is a new cut line that, when used in combination with the top 2 holes, result in a moderate foreground limiter (between mild and aggressive). Combining that cut with the bottom 2 holes result in a very minor foreground limiter.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Mild limiter: bottom holes, no additional shield trimming

Here are how the beam pattern projects to a wall from one end of a room to another (about 1.5 cars length). The box you see is a subwoofer, with a red seat cushion for size reference. The first picture shows a level projection from the approximate low beam height of a sedan. The second picture shows the same limiter, but tilted upwards until the bottom of the mild limiter starts to show up on the wall.

The mild limiter uses the shields as previously shown, mounted on the 2 bottom holes.

Last edited by satrya; June 5th, 2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Aggressive limiter

Using the same shiled (no additional trimming), and mounting it using the top 2 holes gets a relatively aggressive limiter. Note that the bottom of the wall is not illuminated when the cutoff is aimed completely horizontal. If it was a car instead of a wall, the bumper will most likely be visible, but anything below (exhaust tip, tires, rear differential case, etc.) would probably be invisible.

Comment

The aggressive one looks to be a bit too aggressive!
        2004 GMC Yukon Denali
        Hella E55 - ZKW-R - Philips 85122 - Philips LVQ-212
        OEM Euro Manual Headlight-Leveling System

Comment

Originally posted by kses123 View Post
          The aggressive one looks to be a bit too aggressive!
          Agree. That's why I called it aggressive
          I thought perhaps in highway conditions, it may be a good idea to have it that aggressive, no? In the end, I settled for something in between.

Comment

Moderate limiter

For the last setting, I used the same top hole for the aggressive limiter, but trimmed the shield to the bottom marker line shown in the first post. Here's how it looks like from the side. The bottom of the arc is approximately inline with the highest point of the low beam shield holder on both sides of the reflector bowl.

It just so happens that at this "1.5 cars length" projection distance, the bottom of the beam touches the floor like so:

Comment

That's all. Thanks for looking. If you're curious about how the first prototype was designed, it was based on this Alltrade brand longnose pliers. The second picture illustrates how I eyeballed the necessary height of the foreground limiter shield; the bottom of the upper leg rests on the lens housing column, and the bottom leg defined the cutoff shield pattern. From there, it was masking tape prototype, followed by sheet metal versions.

Comment

interesting shape. see how it works when installed on car. the way you curved it limits frontal lighting but not width which is good.

Comment

Originally posted by gearbox View Post
                  interesting shape. see how it works when installed on car. the way you curved it limits frontal lighting but not width which is good.
                  Thanks. I thought that's how everyone shapes the limiter, i.e. make the bottom of the projected beam horizontal when viewed off a wall, no? I don't remember the many threads that inspired this shape, but that's my general impression.

If anything, I probably should've made the curve more extreme (i.e. a more pronounced "smile" patterned shield) so that the sides are practically unaffected.

Comment

Good work.
                    2014 RAM 1500 Express RCSB 2WD- FX-R/CBI's/50W MORIMOTO
                    1989 Chevy S-10 5 speed

Comment

This is a great idea. Been thinking about doing these to my E55's. Being they don't even have a foreground limiter.

|
                      1998 Honda Civic EX - Semi Built LS-VTEC - E55 Bi-Xenon Projectors - Phillips 85122+ - Ebay Ballast |
                      | 2004 Mazda 6 s - Mini H1 5.0 - 3Five 4300k - 3Five SS |

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw Trucker View Post
                        Good work.
                        thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by S203 View Post
                          This is a great idea. Been thinking about doing these to my E55's. Being they don't even have a foreground limiter.
                          It's rather easy, especially if you have an indoor 12V power source. The nice thing about the e55 replica (and the original) is how easy it is to hold shield prototypes between the lens and reflector bowl and try out different shapes and angles. As I mentioned, I started by sticking a pair of long nose pliers and moving it around to see how the beam is affected.

Comment

Output pictures installed

Some output pictures after fully installed to provide context. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the aggressive limiter instead of the medium.

This is a garage wall shot, taken from just before the driveway. The e55r pair run on Morimoto 35W ballasts & 4300K 35W capsules (i.e. the whiter output). A Mini D2S pair ~4" above and ~5" outside of them runs on Morimoto 35W ballasts and 3000K 35W capsules. Note the foreground limiter places the lower edge ~4-6" above ground level. Pls ignore the yaw misalignment of the LHS e55r; it should be tilted further inwards.

Bear in mind that the position of the wall & floor is not exactly ideal; the car is practically on level ground (on the street), with the front wheels on the sloped driveway. If the wall and floor were perfectly at right angles, the lower edge of the lit area would be a bit higher at this distance (about 1 car length).

From the car looking to the street, just the e55r (with moderate foreground limiter). This time the yaw adjustment of the RHS is a bit too inwards.

Comment

Man, those D2S don't do anything useful, huh? The e55-R are nice though

Comment

Working...
                              X