X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
    Man, those D2S don't do anything useful, huh? The e55-R are nice though
    I suppose our biases towards the Mini D2S are diametrically opposite
    I personally appreciate the slightly dimmer overall output (since most of the energy is hidden & relegated for the high beams) of the Mini D2S compared to the e55r, because it means I can use it when I don't need to have a distance reach, have output that is overall a bit brighter than the oem halogens, but benefit from the lower 35W steady state draw compared to the halogen's 55W draw.

It's practically impossible to tell in those pictures, but I also added a reverse squirrel finder mod, so the dark area above the cutoff is actually a bit brighter, but not blinding. Below is a wall shot through a window, showing the sides being completely dark, but area above the cutoff is slightly more illuminated. For this picture, I aimed the light slightly upwards, so that the reflected light from the foreground won't obscure the squirrel finder effect.

While the e55r is great for highway driving as is, I feel bad bouncing the cutoff up and down my neighbors' windows etc., when driving around my neighborhood. It seems somewhat obtrusive. The modified Mini D2S reduces that effect somewhat, imho.

Road signs become a bit more visible, and from oncoming traffic, it softens the transition above and below the cutoff. See how successive pictures of with (left) and without (i.e. standard) the reverse squirrel finder looks like from different elevations, going down to just below the low beam cutoff. If I did this on a different projector with a higher intensity near the cutoff (for more distance lighting), then the area above the cutoff might as well be like a high beam, which is not something I'd like to have of course.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Someone a while back did a retrofit on his A6 with E55 headlights that had a foreground limiter.

I have a set at home (I'll snap a pic later) of e55's with a driver & passenger specific foreground limiter

Comment

Interesting. So an asymmetrical shield then?

Comment

The one I remembered seeing on this site a while back was a symmetric shield. Mine isn't (see below)

e55.jpg

Comment

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting. So, the left column correspond to RHS headlights, and the right column is the LHS, correct?

If that limiter is to be useful, which I'm sure it has to be, I must conclude that the reflector and lens optics of the (real) e55 you posted are quite different from that of the e55r (EvoX-R) I'm using. Anybody know how much of the original e55 geometry is carried over to the e55r?

Even the mild setting of my DIY limiter doesn't open up that much gap, and was barely useful in the sense that the areas limited are so low and out of my visible reach (when viewed from the driver's position).

The cutoff from the medium setting I'm using (pic below) is barely visible from the driving position. Compared to the e55 pics you posted, mine barely lets any light out.

I had contemplated opening up the sides like that, but for highway use, I decided I don't want to see that wide down the ground. That's what my Mini D2Ses are for.

Comment

is the EvoX-R TRS's take on the updated Hella E55? That's something I've been wondering about. I figure it is because of the '-R' part.
              Last edited by Sean Lezner; July 26th, 2012, 09:39 PM.
              RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Yeah, pretty much. It's got a similar focused output, but all cleaned up and modernized with a clear lens.

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
                  Yeah, pretty much. It's got a similar focused output, but all cleaned up and modernized with a clear lens.
                  Oh ok, thanks. I didn't know if it was an OEM one or TRS's version.
                  RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Yeah, TRS released the EVOX-R as a replica, but never said much about it until it was all done and ready to buy.

Comment

I'm satisfied with TRS' e55r (EvoX-R is harder to type) so far.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                        I'm satisfied with TRS' e55r (EvoX-R is harder to type) so far.
                        lol true.

Comment

Originally posted by toooosloooow View Post
                          Someone a while back did a retrofit on his A6 with E55 headlights that had a foreground limiter.

I have a set at home (I'll snap a pic later) of e55's with a driver & passenger specific foreground limiter
                          now that I have a set of EvoX-R to work with.....

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...5-gt-FX35-PICS

img12.jpg

Comment

That's an interesting shape, in the sense that there are 2 sharp bends. Are you planning on replicating that bend on your EvoX-R?

Comment

No, probably a side specific shield, but with the slope

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

Comment

No updates on this thread? How did the limiters come out?
                                2001 Dodge Ram; TRS Mini D2S (X-lens) install
                                1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Infiniti G37 install
                                1998 BMW 540i (E39); Lexus RX350 install

Comment

Working...
                                X