Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 Bi-xenon projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pics (at 45 feet)

top-tl with zkwr lens with cheap ballasts, no name bulbs, and behind a rather cloudy laminex headlight protector - waiting on new morimoto bulbs and ballasts
    bottom-e46 with zkwr lens, spaced, and high hours 85122+ bulbs

bought some flashing on my way home tonight to start toying with custom shields
    Last edited by richterat83; October 12, 2012, 08:46 AM.

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K
    Mine- Morimoto Mini H1's, e55 shrouds, Blazer fogs with 3000K
    Zuma 125 Mini H1, Gatling Gun 2.0, 90mm & 60mm Amber XBLED halos
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroFix

Comment

• Giving my go at custom shields. I'm far from jvx but its fun.

First attemp at more of a step (as well as a prism tail)

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K

Comment

• And yeah, I know, the hot spot is blocked, the shield is currently above the stock shield (unmodofied)

Comment

• richterat83, It is interesting that you had to take a dremel the lens bowl. I ordered a second set of the ZKW-R's some 6-8 months back and sat on them waiting for more parts. I finally got around to fixing a messed up shield issue from my first attempt at lens swapping/shield modding and noted that the second set of lenses dropped right down in place perfectly and sit exactly like the OEM lenses do. I wonder if there has been another change in the mold that is being used on these.

So the thought came up looking at your post if about adding the washers and bending the tab to get more color as I have a super sharp cut off at great distance but not much in the way of color. There is some but no where close to that you have.

Comment

• Have you bent the RV shield out of the way?

Comment

• Thanks,

You Inspire me to do my C300 I believe it carries the same Bosch/AL projector. I will post some progress up once I get started.

Comment

• Got home swapped out to a zkw-r len and fine tune the shield adjustment screws ... voila...
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by sonic81 View Post
                  Got home swapped out to a zkw-r len and fine tune the shield adjustment screws ... voila...
                  Nice cutoff! What exactly did u do with th shield? Extra washers or push back shield?

Comment

• VERY nice

that's with no washers??

Comment

• Originally posted by bandulu View Post
                      Nice cutoff! What exactly did u do with th shield? Extra washers or push back shield?
                      No washer yet just adjusting the shield offset screw (back to almost no offset), and remove the piece that is on the shield in the middle (dont' know what it is call lolz).

I am stepping out of town for bus.. will be back in the weekend, and hopefully will get time to actually do it on my car.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by richterat83 View Post
                        Have you bent the RV shield out of the way?

I cut the top portion of the RV shield off just below the low side with my dremel, and am getting some nice color as long if I back the adjustment screw almost all the way out. The downside is the cutoff gets really fuzzy at anything past 25 or so feet. If I run the screw in to sharpen the cutoff my color line all but disappears. I'm also getting some edge color bleeding at the step and odd light flare from the passenger side lamp that shows up just above the lower portion of the drivers side cutoff. I have tried spacing the lenses out and adjusting the shield but it never seems to go away. Any adjustment I make just makes these worse. I'd take pictures to show but the camera on my phone is broken so that's out for now.

Comment

• do you have any washers spacing the lens? If so, try to remove them or if not, try adding some

Comment

• Very informative thread.. Now I know what all to do with my e46's.. thanks guys!
                            -Kyle

Working On My 1st Headlight Retrofit (E46 + H3 Mini Bosch) -> 96' Infiniti G20

Comment

• Custom shied and clear lens swap
                              SDC13995.jpg
                              From the top original e46 with d1s osram cbi and bottom philips d1s
                              SDC14001.jpg
                              SDC14023.jpg
                              SDC14025.jpg
                              SDC14028.jpg

Comment

• Got pictures of the shield?
                                ** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post **

Comment

Working...
                                X