No announcement yet.

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 Bi-xenon projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if I were to follow the steps in this post regarding swapping in ZKW-R lenses into e-46 projectors, what would I need to do regarding the rv shield?
    spacing out the lense seems easy enough, now I'm just trying to figure out exactly what needs to happen with the rv shield. I'm not going after crazy colors or anything, I just want a nice cut off.
    Is it something that I can remove entirely or bend downward out of the way?
    Last edited by motherFNbrandon; May 25, 2011, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• If you take it completely off you have a hole so that's not what you want. You can bend it a little so the upper edge come under the cutoofshield.
      However It's more important to set the cutoff shield in the right position with the setcrew on the side. turn it untill you get a sharp cutoff. You don't need to bend the RV shield after that since it's not causing any flare anymore. If the cutoff shield itself is in the exact vertical position the light does not reach the RV shield anymore.

Comment

• Do you think that even with the adjustable setscrew, I will still have to space it out with washers? This is using ZKW-R lenses.
        Also, is there a specific distance at which to focus for a sharp cutoff?

Comment

• There is not a best distance. Getting a sharp cutoff has nothing to do with distance between the lens and the wall. To be able to see it well I would go somewhere in between 5-20 meters though.
          Spacing the FX-R lens is becasue it is slightly to big and does not fit in thee completely unlike the OEM lens. If it were me I would try to dremel some of the lens until it does intstead of spacing it. Maybe get a pair of value lenses to try it on. But that would be for the sake of the expiriment.

Comment

• Wanted to show a better picture of the setscrew of the AL projector. As a standard de screw seems to be al the way back. Then the shutter is too cose to the bulb and the cutoff is fuzzy. screwing it in further causes the shuttter to make a perfect 90 degrees angle with the bulb and also eleminates the need to do something with the RV shield. The shutter is a little further away form the bulb/reflector so the light does not reach the RV shiels anymore.

this screw:

The difference with the screw in or out:

Comment

• thanks for the helpful DIY!

Comment

• Thank you for this thread!! I was lost till I read this whole thread lol

Comment

• well, i should have read this thread first

I got E46 bx's from TRS as well as fresh ZXW-R lenses (not blemish models)

Went to press them into the e46's and chipped them. . . FFFUUUUUU . . it's not awful but just sucks.

then i searched and found this thread.

then broke out the dremel and cutting wheel then went to town on the inside of the lens holder grinding down the inside "lip" not letting the lens sit at the bottom.

Eventually got it and the new lens slipped in

That's no spacing issues, just lens swap. I'll be getting some washers later to try out playing with those

Stock lens on bottom with ZKW-R on top

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K
                  Mine- Morimoto Mini H1's, e55 shrouds, Blazer fogs with 3000K
                  Zuma 125 Mini H1, Gatling Gun 2.0, 90mm & 60mm Amber XBLED halos
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroFix

Comment

• Finally was able to color mod the e46's

2 spacers on each post as well as slightly bending the tab that comes in contact with the adjustment screw and its sharp and colorful now

No output pics though

Hers-Sloped TL's, ZKW-R lenses, 85122+, E55-R, fiberglass buckets, Blazer fogs with 3K

Comment

• Originally posted by richterat83 View Post
                      Finally was able to color mod the e46's

2 spacers on each post as well as slightly bending the tab that comes in contact with the adjustment screw and its sharp and colorful now

No output pics though
                      do you think you can get some pics on where you dremeled and where you bended the shield. I'm kind of lost and the lens won't sit flush with the bowl even with the notched version.

Comment

• If you look down into the lens holder, you'll see a small "step" where the factory lens actually drops into but the ZKW-R does not, it sits atop that. I took a grinding wheel and just ground down the lip all the way around until the lens dropped inside of it

As to bending, i did this because I added 2 washers to each post for spacing. By doing so i had a VERY soft cutoff, spacing was wrong

So i bent the tab that comes in contact with the adjustment screw TOWARDS the screw because i ran out of adjustment room with the screw itself. But i'll try to snap some pics tonight when I get back home as well as an output shot

Comment

• Originally posted by richterat83 View Post
                          If you look down into the lens holder, you'll see a small "step" where the factory lens actually drops into but the ZKW-R does not, it sits atop that. I took a grinding wheel and just ground down the lip all the way around until the lens dropped inside of it

As to bending, i did this because I added 2 washers to each post for spacing. By doing so i had a VERY soft cutoff, spacing was wrong

So i bent the tab that comes in contact with the adjustment screw TOWARDS the screw because i ran out of adjustment room with the screw itself. But i'll try to snap some pics tonight when I get back home as well as an output shot
                          Are you talking about the long step or the 3 small steps? I got the notched lens that have a gap for the long step so it doesn't hit

Comment

• i had to dremel down a bit of the large step that the lens has a spot for (actually forced the lens in the first time causing it to surface crack) but it doesn't affect output

But i am talking mainly about the long step that goes all the way around

Comment

• New cutoff with zkw-r lenses lens holders dremeled to accent them and 2 washers at each mounting point

you can kinda see the dremel marks

also the adjustment screw and bent shield tab- and the shield itself is still straight, just the tab is bent

then my boo-boo chipped lens

Comment

• thanks for the pics man! I will get to dremeling then lol
                                Last edited by gold94corolla; October 8, 2012, 10:27 PM. Reason: removed quote

Comment

Working...
                                X