No announcement yet.

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 Bi-xenon projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice write-up, I am just a little confused weather you used one washer per bolt or two washers per bolt, also I read on www.theretrofitsource.com under the ZKW-R page that this guy installed the lenses and just messed with the shield adjustment screw and he made it seem like he did not use any washers. Here is the link, he is on the last post...
    http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=136

One more thing, I was wondering if you still installed the metal rings behind the lenses?

Comment

Two washers per bolt. This was to space the lens from the shield. When the projector is stock, the distance between the lens and the shield is, for reference, 0. When installing the ZKW-R lens, the lens sits closer to the shield by about 2mm (-2 from reference), hence the use of the washers.

Yes, I used the metal rings. Those are what keeps the lens in place.
      It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
      2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Comment

Originally posted by areem57 View Post
        Nice write-up, I am just a little confused weather you used one washer per bolt or two washers per bolt, also I read on www.theretrofitsource.com under the ZKW-R page that this guy installed the lenses and just messed with the shield adjustment screw and he made it seem like he did not use any washers. Here is the link, he is on the last post...
        http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=136

One more thing, I was wondering if you still installed the metal rings behind the lenses?
        The amount of adjustment seems to vary from projector to projector. I find that with OEM ZKW lenses though, pretty much no adjustment is necessary since the lens sits flush. You'll get a little bit of yellow in the center at close distances (a lot like euro E46 projectors), but the entire cutoff becomes a very nice blue from 15ft onward.

Comment

So the close up yellow is good? I spent ages getting mine razor sharp at approx 10tft then took them outside to test distance and the cutoff was awful, not even flat with blue flares on either side. Maybe I spaced too much / too little. Does anyone have reference pics of how it should look close up?
          06 Ford Mondeo Titanium X 2.2 TDCi
          Retro #1 - DL50 + Boosted ballasts
          Retro #2 - S2000 Retro
          Retro #3 - FX-R Retro

10 Mini Cooper D
          OEM AFS Bi-xenons - fantastic.

Comment

The only true mod you can do is the ZKW lens, then its up to the shield to adjust for that distant cutoff... Sharp up close means nothing... mine gets distorted up close but at 250ft its as sharp as a knife with intense color...
            2001 CCS (Euro Conversion)
            FX-R DDM-50W DL50 R8-LEDs
            2K4 Mercury Monterey FX-R Retro
            2K1 CCS (Euro Conversion) FX-R Retro
            FOG Comparison: Micro DE, Blazer, Bosch Mini
            HELLA MICRO DE Halogen to HID GUIDE

Comment

Tbh I probably didn't spend that long. Felt like an age though. All I did was swap to the zkw lens and add spacers til cutoff looked ok. Think I may have to have another try though.
              Retro #2 - S2000 Retro
              Retro #3 - FX-R Retro

10 Mini Cooper D

Comment

There is a screw that can push the shield in or out, and if you use that you dont need spacers... the magic happens between the lens and the shield not the shield and the bowl...

Comment

You want to make the color and sharpness come alive at 25+ ft. At 10 ft, you're going to lose a ton of sharpness while driving.
                  It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
                  2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Comment

Completed it last night. Hardly any colour but got them sharper than my s2k's. Well at least in the middle anyway. Used no washers in the end just the adjustment screw nearly all the way in.
                    Retro #2 - S2000 Retro
                    Retro #3 - FX-R Retro

10 Mini Cooper D

Comment

• Awesome retrofit DIY. I'll be using your guide to upgrade my headlight lenses. Cheers.

Comment

• I did the swap with the the lenses from my ZKW projectors into my new AL ones. It fits perfectly. Also I did focus the cutoff with the setscrew for the cutoff shields. This makes a huge difference indeed!. When you find the proper adjustement you can choose between thicker blue line (shield closer to the bulb) or a sharper cutoff (shield further away from bulb). I choose a sharper cutoff. I also bend the RV shield which initially made the cutoff sharper and removed a weird line next to the step but that was before I "focused" the shield. On the other projector I first focussed it without bending the shield. That made the cutoff shaper and the weird extra line that dissapeared when bending the RV shield was also gone. Bending the shield after that did not make any difference anymore.

the result:

Last edited by DJLeonardo; May 27, 2011, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• ^ I like it good work!

Comment

• That looks great. I also admire that you were willing to touch your oem's! Most would just say, "oh i already have xenons why mess with them." yadda yadda yadda.

Congrats on the mods it looks awesome.

Comment

• Well, I did not really touch my OEMs. I had a set of AL/Bosch halogen units. THen I bought a set of used ZKW HID units, that later turned out to be burned (didn't know &*%$ back then)
                              So I opened up the ZKW's several times trying to improve this (did a rechrome, that burned again, then repaint with hightemp chrome paint etc etc) So I really know how to work the OEM units now. Then I notices the brackets of the AL/Bosch HID units must fit the housing of the AL/Bosch halogen units I already had (same mounting connectors) So I bought a set of AL projectors with brackets. Took out the lenses from the ZKW's (ALlenses back in the ZKW's) and tuned the AL's. Now I am done I will swap them with the ZKW's? ANd I have a spare set.
                              Last edited by DJLeonardo; April 16, 2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• My Full FX-R projectors just arrived and I am taking my headlights to my tech now! Cant wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X