Yellow Colorband On New Led Projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Colorband On New Led Projectors

I’ve noticed a lot of the new oem led projectors such as those found in Subaru’s, Toyota’s and Fords seem to have a yellow/orange color flicker instead of the traditional blue or purple.

Anyone know if this is is doable with regular hid projectors? I’ve seen some that look yellow/orange up close but turn into blue/purple at a distance.

I’m currently running Osram CBA bulbs which are the same color temp as these new led projectors. They still have blue color flicker so not a color temperature issue.

Any help appreciated.

Many factors affect this, and in a conventional elliptical projector, moving the shield slightly fore or aft can alter this colorband. This works most with thin shields, such as the ones used in generic Mini H1 projectors. Thicker edge in OE projectors may be deliberately shaped to minimize color separation in the cutoff.

The thin sheet metal I use for a foreground limiter in a pair of EvoX-R ended up landing in that location that generates the warmer band, compared to the original low beam shield that I assume was deliberately placed to generate the blue/purple colorband:

Also, this assumes that the light source contains those colors you're looking for.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      Many factors affect this, and in a conventional elliptical projector, moving the shield slightly fore or aft can alter this colorband. This works most with thin shields, such as the ones used in generic Mini H1 projectors. Thicker edge in OE projectors may be deliberately shaped to minimize color separation in the cutoff.

The thin sheet metal I use for a foreground limiter in a pair of EvoX-R ended up landing in that location that generates the warmer band, compared to the original low beam shield that I assume was deliberately placed to generate the blue/purple colorband:

Also, this assumes that the light source contains those colors you're looking for.
      Thanks!

Mine are OE projectors so this might be a bit of an issue.
      I am really not a fan of the blue color band but I wanted to do a clear lens swap on my car.

Hopefully I will be able to space the shield when tune it. I plan to cut off the secondary diffuser shield for incoming traffic but I’ll probably leave the squirrel finder because I like seeing road signs

Comment

Curious, ellipsoid projectors that I've seen with squirrel finders are halogen. I didn't think they have plain metal surface that can do the job without excess light as a squirrel finder.

Yes, spacing the shield might work. If not, you may need to add a tiny sharp edge by attaching a thin sheet metal on the edge of the shield, so it can be positioned more precisely.
        Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

I remember on my first-ever projector headlights back in 2016, one of them had a cutoff with colors that went to red rather than purple. I fixed this by sticking a pen in through the bulb opening and pushing on the shield enough so that it was in the right place to "flip" the color abrasion to go towards the blue/purple like I wanted. The way light works, the white light of the HID is getting split apart from the super sharp thin edge of the shield, like a prism. Usually, the yellow/orange/red goes down (though it's blinded out by the white light itself) and the green/blue/purple colors bend up. Depending on where the shield is in alignment with the bulbs, or maybe other factors, it seems you can get the light colors to go purple up or purple down. I've seen plenty of halogen projectors that seemed to have the redder cutoff. So all I can say would be to experiment with the shield. When it's in the perfectly optimal position, you get no color, and the more it's spaced, the more color you get. So, space it in the other direction, and you might get the color "flipped". Remember that projectors flip/mirror the output.

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            Curious, ellipsoid projectors that I've seen with squirrel finders are halogen. I didn't think they have plain metal surface that can do the job without excess light as a squirrel finder.

Yes, spacing the shield might work. If not, you may need to add a tiny sharp edge by attaching a thin sheet metal on the edge of the shield, so it can be positioned more precisely.
            Haven’t yet opening up the projector itself yet so we will see.

This projector in particular is from a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited.
            The output is quite good, almost like a G5R.
            Only issue for me is that the limited for the oncoming traffic side really kills the output also a little too much foreground.
            These projectors seem to inherently throw a lot of light up for signs.
            I think they will respond to a clear lens well without losing the ability to read road signs.

Comment

Good to know! Thanks gold.
              I think a red colorband sounds pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
              X