Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superflux new alternative?

Hi,

I want to build a superbright custom LED array for tailight. Superflux seems to not be used much more nowadays.

​​​​​​​What is the current latest technology that replaces superflux?

SMD is the current tech. But requires custom pcb pad layouts. Not exactly DIY friendly like 4 leg superfluxes.

Comment

It also requires lens design and focusing optics
      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Thanks. Can I just use some extremely bright LED smd light strip and use aluminum foil as reflector?

Comment

You're much better off designing a pcb for the LEDs to sit on, so you can ensure good thermal conductivity that strips don't provide. And aluminum foil would need to be shaped very specifically

Comment

What tail light is being used for the project?

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              You're much better off designing a pcb for the LEDs to sit on, so you can ensure good thermal conductivity that strips don't provide. And aluminum foil would need to be shaped very specifically
              Thanks. If I used SMD, wouldn't it be the same brightness as lightstrip as they are SMD based too?

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
                What tail light is being used for the project?
                I'm planning to 3D design a complete custom taillight for Gallardo. It is an ambitious project as I've never done anything like this before.

Comment

Originally posted by johnkim View Post

Thanks. If I used SMD, wouldn't it be the same brightness as lightstrip as they are SMD based too?
                  that's a little too vague. SMD refers to 'Surface Mount Device'. the first steam powered vehicle and your gallardo are both 'cars' in the same sense. there's a massive amount of variation within that category, and you need to pay special attention to the quality/brand, thermal characteristics, and specific output of each chip. we only recommend brands like cree or osram because they have tighter binning and quality standards than other companies, they are also the main 2 brands used in oem designs for the same reasons.

Comment

... and NICHIA, too!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X