Fresnel Mini H1 lens?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresnel Mini H1 lens?

So I have noticed that a mini h1's clear lens will do this to my car due to the sun refracting off it, and melting into the plastic. It is way, way worse now. Aesthetically, its not salvageable, but I have another pair of headlights laying around.

Will a fresnel lens stop the sunlight from turning into a focused beam? and if so, where can I find one?

The clear lens is great, but I am willing to sacrifice the nicer cutoff if it prevents this.
    Tuned FBO 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Quad projector retrofit with clear lens upgrade, and v2 XBS halos

Is it the sun or is the hotspot focus causing it?
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Its definitely the sun. The light output isnt the issue. Ive seen the sunlight focusing the beam on a fresh "snail trail" of melted plastic.

Comment

Some cars ahve this issue. Some people put a bit of aluminum tape on problem areas to prevent it. But I don't know if a fresnel lens will help. Painting chrome black can do this.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
          Some cars ahve this issue. Some people put a bit of aluminum tape on problem areas to prevent it. But I don't know if a fresnel lens will help. Painting chrome black can do this.
          Can you share some more information with me? Thanks

Here is a pic I just took. My headlights are dirty, and the lighting isnt great. But the damage is much more exasperated. The plastic has actually cracked on one side.
          This is unpainted plastic. It comes stock as perfectly glossy black trim. Would putting a layer of paint over this prevent it? Its such a perfect finish, Id hate to mess with it.

Here is one of the spare headlights I have laying around. Its dusty because I havent decided what Im gonna do yet, in regards to this problem. I wiped off the dust, but the whole piece is glossed or matte plastic. All the other chrome pieces I have painted, have had no issues.

Comment

Will a fresnel lens stop the sunlight from refracting into a concentrated beam?

Comment

Originally posted by Chinaman_Chong View Post
              Will a fresnel lens stop the sunlight from refracting into a concentrated beam?
              Fresnel lenses that I know of remain smooth on the outer surface. So, if it is indeed sunlight refocusing that is the issue, then that optics will remain unchanged.

I bought a pair of fresnel lens from dealextreme many years ago. Here's how it looks (with a PVC shroud), note that the outer surface is a simple convex surface just like other low beam projector lenses.
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

A fresnel lens wonít stop this issue from occurring. 2011-2013 Lexus ISís with the LED DRL strip have this issue, and they have a fresnel lens.

Comment

Working...
                X