'Tri-Star'/'3-Up' Behind 'Virtual Filament'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Tri-Star'/'3-Up' Behind 'Virtual Filament'

Curious if anyone has tried a Luxeon Tri-Star or a Cree '3-Up' behind one of the 'virtual filaments'. I know they are for a single LED but does a good amount of the light still get thrown 360*? Thanks for any input.

I guess you won't really know unless you test it out.

But I'm assuming the lens is optimized for a single source of light directly at the center. If you move the light source out of this range and x it by 3 you may just end up with an unfocused glowing orb.
    www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Really really curious about this too! I want to find a way to replicate the setup, other than buying the triton bulbs and chopping the business ends off. My front triton signals perform phenomenally, no doubt largely due to the awesome optics. These are also made around a smaller 15mm (?) setup rather than the 20mm stars though, and the internal channels align with the placement of the rebels.

Like you said, those other virtual filaments take into account a single light source right in the middle, it just seems like forcing the emitters outside of this focal area would result in a lot of wasted light. If the virtual filaments were fat enough, maybe making dimples for the tri-star rebel domes to fit into would be enough to force the light around ok. The russian guy that made his own tritons with lathed 360 optics looks to have it all figured out. Jonez's camry XPG2 setup also had two emitters side by side under the same 360 lens, but they were placed pretty much at the centre of the lenses.
      Saturn Astra XR
      -Complete Vauxhall VXR exterior conversion
      -EvoX-R, reflective red demon eyes, XB35 5500K, FastBright F5, Triton V3 Amber

Comment

Yes, I have seen both of those builds before. It appears knnk07 may have modified his lens or made his lens. I sent him a PM asking about it. I have used the virtual filaments with good results before with one emitter under them but curious to see how they will perform with three. Getting some light out of the sides and some forward is still fine. I suppose I could always design a PCB and have it made where it would work with one firing in the middle and a couple flanking to the sides.
        Last edited by sall; August 28th, 2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

it's way to late tonight to do anymore, but i have a bunch of tri-stars and some of the VF's.. try to bump this tomorrow, and i'll try to remember to take some shots of it..
          The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
            it's way to late tonight to do anymore, but i have a bunch of tri-stars and some of the VF's.. try to bump this tomorrow, and i'll try to remember to take some shots of it..
            Bump. Thanks, soundman.

Comment

ok, results are in-- not as bad as i expected

the single chip is a xp-g 1, i think in 6000k, on a 16mm mcpcb, on the left. and the 3-chip is a 5000k xp-g2, lux-drive model unit on the right.

i drove them both at about 200mA or so(really just brightened them up until they were bright to the eye) because i didn't have them heatsinked, and it would just make for a bigger blob of light on the camera.. all of them were in series, so same drive current, but the xp-g2 is a little more efficient, so a small fraction of brightness can be attributed to that..

oh, and here's 2 of the size of the VF vs. size of the 3-chip. the vf is just barely under the diameter used for the led's

Comment

Single wins.

You can clearly see more intense light right at the tip of the VF which would translate into more side and back illumination.

The tri star just brightens the frosted base to give forward wasted light.

Can you snap a shot of the underside of the VF?
                www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

sure

Comment

Laser under the VF?
                    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

i can do that!

Comment

something roughly like this. the laser was just off center, closer to the side facing the white packaging material.. it was very difficult to keep it centered

Comment

I wonder how that would look in a reflector bowl? Maybe a less focused laser even. Look how much light is cast to the sides though!

Comment

not a whole lot..

Comment

Looked like a lot in the picture... I was all excited for laser tail lights!

Comment

Working...
                              X