Projector/Reflector Hybrid Signal LED Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector/Reflector Hybrid Signal LED Review

Just brought in a full set of these to bring in for testing. So far their results are setting a new level for brightness and housing fill.

For the first time I've seen, these use XB-D 2.45mm LEDs not just for the white, but for their amber and reds too. This promises brighter output and all that jazz, and the numbers show it.

Morimoto XB as well as most other "Cree" amber or red bulbs use older 3.45mm XP-E sized chips (check out the Morimoto XBLED Switchback for an example. the amber LEDs are noticeably larger then their white counterparts.

I expect good things from these bulbs. You'd think their design is not as homogeneous as a true philips vision or philips clone out there, but it actually does amazingly well, probably by brute force and wattage.

These deserve their own there'd, so I'll start it here. More pics/info to come.
    I work at a company who has a website called ModBargains
    @AFSpec as always on IG

Looks promising. I wanna see daytime shots!
    2006 Chevy Cobalt - SRX Bi-xenon/Denso 35w
    2011 GMC Terrain V6 - 4TL-R retrofit

Comment

Here are some side by sides.

Our previous generation bulbs used a combination of 1.5W COB boards and two 5W rated XP-E's.
      For our 2014 LEDs, total power draw maxed out at 3.5W (amber signal) and 4.5W for our "14W (3+1 COB)" and "22W (4 COB + 2 Cree)" versions.

These 2015 versions use 6 Cree XB-D LEDs for all colors. Notice how much more intense the rearward light is, compared to the rather defuse output of the COB strips above. These smaller 2.45mm diodes provide brighter output, and true-er colors then previous COB/XPE hybrids.
      They also focus a lot more light backwards towards the reflector (fill housing) while providing a wider and brighter spot out the front.

Thanks the the fill lighting effect, the spotlight is actually negated resulting in just pure bright output.
      These run at 1-1.1W low, and a 5.6-7.5W flash <-- yeah (5.6 for colors, 7.5 for white)

Please note, these photos are NOT with the brake pedal depressed. This is how bright they are as running lights.
      At night they are so bright I can see red light up my rear view mirror every time.

The effect at night is quite significant, These really do fill the entire housing, even from a full 90 to the side.
      Even though the rearward LED placement is no where near the same place as the original T20/etc was, their reflector seams to do the trick and the results speak for themselves.
      Last edited by Thmanx; March 30th, 2015, 07:31 PM.
      @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

How long will the red led brake lights last if they are powered at 7.5 watts? I can imagine them over heating and failing very quickly.

Comment

I'll put one on the unit for a few min and see what happens.

I should re-emphasize. The 7.5W draw was observed on all the white XB-D versions (1156, 1157, 744X), They all flashed at 7.5W and ran at a lower 1.1W for dim mode. (quite a contrast ratio)
          The color ones ran a little lower, though still higher then any other Red/Amber LED i've tested to date. 1W low and 5.6W flash.

So those red bulbs (with a 30W design limit) mainly run at a nice 1W. Should be just fine full power 5.6W operation while breaking. (unless your pedal switch is out, and your brake lights are on all the time lol)
          A test like this represents a stress test, and not representative of real world brightness

=========
          More 2014 vs 2015 comparisons

Check out the 2nd photo, of the right sides new Projector/Reflector-Hybrid LED. Even though the center hotspot is 'brighter' then the previous generation, theres so much light fill in the hosing you'd never know, and again. This is just the running mode, NOT the high-power brake mode.

And the insanity of night. (these are brake depressed)
          Last edited by Thmanx; March 30th, 2015, 07:45 PM.
          @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

Will you be doing a direct light output comparison of the two bulbs in the same brake light/reverse light housing?

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
            2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

In for results.

Nothing like cooking LED bulbs for dinner

Love me some fried LED bulbs brah

2017 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost

Comment

It's been 15 minutes, how's it holding up? There are times stuck in creeping traffic where you'd stay on the brake pedal for 15 minutes or more creeping along. Maybe a 90/10 on/off ratio.
                2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
                1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                  Will you be doing a direct light output comparison of the two bulbs in the same brake light/reverse light housing?

As in, remove my housing and do some on-a-wall test shots? Or just backed against a wall for some real-world output stuff.

(for fun I did try that 1000lm VLED's 7440 thing. For what its worth... there is some truth to it. That F*cker runs at 10W.... 10.... It just uses raw power to beast through things. Though in the time it took to set up my shots and compare them against the 'dimmer' 5K tritons... I burnt one out (maybe 5min operation) So not sure if they are really all that great or not LOL.

Yeah its bright, bright but all over the place... But nothing fancy like the Triton, just brute force.

Originally posted by Thmanx View Post
                  I'll put one on the unit for a few min and see what happens.

Its been like 15 min now at constant bright mode, Its stabilized here at 4.5W (still bright as hell)
                  @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

Awesome to hear, 15 minutes is a good length of time. My order from Amazon should be shipping soon so I'll plunk a pair in the Mazda and see how they do. Larger housings than you have and they rely on the filament itself to give light. The Philips bulbs just were not bright enough and the black spot in the center meant I was missing A LOT of light. I'll probably try one in the Celica for fun too...

Comment

Yeah the Philips bulbs are good, and they are correct. But their LEDs arnt the same size or power as the XB-D's are. they only run 2W at braking, and much less for running.

To their credit, that is their design though, meant to be a OEM replacement, Just as good as the filament is, but not enough to annoy anyone.

These aftermarket however its like the un-regulated wild west. Some times good comes out of it, and this is an example of one.

=====

Gotta do the white ones #ForScience
                      They start at 7.5 and stabilize at 5.25W after 15min or so. However a bulb like this would VERY rarely be on like this all the time.
                      Even at 5.25W, its brighter then almost all of our stand-alone 1156/7440 whites and pretty much everything else

Most of the directed rearward light is straight off the XB-D's, only the over-lap hits the center cone to bounce out.
                      This means maximum amount of direct LED light is shot at the rear reflector of your housing, where the cone helps fill out the sides even more.

I've also noticed the internal spot-solder job is much better then I've seen in previous LED's.
                      @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

Last edited by Thmanx; March 30th, 2015, 09:19 PM.
                        @AFSpec as always on IG

Comment

I just meant against a wall, don't have to remove the housing or anything. Just wanna see the difference between the two in a brake light instead of outside of a housing. But damn, the white ones look perfect! Great color and I can't wait to get mine Wednesday.

EDIT: Just saw the shots of the garage lit. Holy damn! And they last after 15 minutes of high power, also encouraging.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                          2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

So on low how much brighter than "normal" are these? I mean how far beyond the spec for tail light are these on their tail light mode? Is their tail like brake for normal 7443 bulbs?

Comment

Hi, slight derailment but still very related.

I had bought 4 of the amber 9th gen bulbs in 7440 to try out in my car. Very impressed with the results, at least on the rears. The fronts turn signals leave much to be desired, as the incandescent bulbs are brighter in this application, but I think that I will roll with them for the time being since I love the instant on/off.

For the oncoming photo, the pass. side bulb is LED and dr. is incandescent. On the rears, dr. side is incandescent, pass. is LED.

All photos, including the ones in the album, are taken at with the same settings: f/1.8 1/125 sec. ISO 2000

Here is a link to additional photos in no particular order, also including some led reverse bulbs
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Masticator; March 30th, 2015, 10:45 PM. Reason: added vid

Comment

Working...
                              X