VLED LMZ headlight LED bulb output picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLED LMZ headlight LED bulb output picture

A user on the Forester forum just posted these pictures (rehosted) of his 2015 Forester halogen headlight (reflector based) output with OEM H11 halogen bulb and then with VLED's LMZ LED headlight bulb that is claimed to have an output of 4500 lumens. He had this to say about it (emphasis mine):
    Originally posted by ageorge
    I used LMZ High Output 4500LM kit from VLEDS. While they were very bright the beam pattern was a disaster in terms of glare. I tried to adjust them but it was still unacceptable and I had to return them.
    Here are the pictures:

Stock

VLED LMZ

Source: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...2/#post4509105
    It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
    2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Good lawd!

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

Thats horrible!

Comment

Ewe, stop that.
        ***MH1 Retro***
        "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
        - Tennessee Williams

Comment

Aaaaand I butchered the thread title. Not sure what I was thinking putting LED in quotations.
          It's been a while since my last retrofit...

Swap: ZKW-R lens into Bosch/AL E46 bixenon projector | Swap: STI-R lens into G37 sedan bixenon projector
          2010 Accord retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon) | 2015 Forester retrofit (G37 sedan bixenon)

Comment

Finally someone who tested these on their own with before/after shots! Looks like the focal "adjustment" range of these particular bulbs is still not enough to get any sort of decent beam pattern. I would have thought that these would be somewhat close to a decent beam with maybe some expected stray glare but that is not the case.

Still I'd like to assume that perhaps they MAY work a little better inside other halogen reflectors. I'm going to test that for myself using the NON branded VLEDS, TRS and Putco designs in my Cruze for comparisons. These were the 3 designs that looked promising over all others on the market.

You think they might ever eventually get to a performance level equal to HID reflector D2R lamps?
            www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

PNP HID kits never got to a halfway decent performance level in halogen reflectors, I suspect LED won't either simply because the housing was not designed for them and imitating a halogen filament with an HID bulb or LED is not exactly possible.

But factory systems? They'll beat HID eventually, and that time may come soon.

Someone tested a non-VLEDs LED bulb system, dual "filament" H4, on the Spyderchat forums. Same deal, light everywhere. Fans were also very loud apparently.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
              2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Thats the main issue all leds producer made, looks like they just make something looks solid and throw it out there without care about getting the right optic. I mean all H11 halogen and pnp HID are same optic.

08 Honda Pilot | RX330-AFS + TSX-R, Curve Shield | Osram CBI | Hella Gen 3 | DIY Bosch Relay Harness | X5 LED Fog | SuperFlux DRL

** Please use the reputation system by clicking the on a helpful post

Comment

It looks just like HID PNP
                  AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by mdufficy View Post
                    It looks just like HID PNP
                    Honestly, a PNP would look better than those LEDs in there.
                    RX330 AFS E30 Modded by ME
                    Osram CBIs
                    Vleds V3 Triton Front and Rear
                    XBLed type H
                    5000k Vleds License plate

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...-RX330-AFS-2-5

Comment

VLEDS I love mine. They are brighter than OEM, however not quite as bright as an HID kit, but the beam pattern is better and doesn't blind people. Most people that do an HID conversion don't change the housing to a projector housing and that's a big no no. Hope you like them as much as I do. They took me about 10 minutes to install and then about 10min to re-adjust the headlight angle properly.
                      This is why its hard to convince people to do real retrofit .. "but my hid don't glare!1!1!"

Better beam pattern my ass...

Comment

The folks at Spyderchat were happy with their LED bulbs as well, despite posting an output shot on the wall that's as bad as OP's. They claim "well no one flashes me so it's okay" and it's really too bad. People don't know better, but ignorance can still be inadvertently malicious. Most people don't realize headlights have a cutoff at all.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

at first I thought.. oh hey that cutoff isnt too bad. then I saw the actual picture. Hot damn thats terrible.
                          Just doing some things with some stuff....

www.OTSDetail.com

Comment

Thank you OP! I just came across these and saw their little comparison of the 4500lm LMZ LED vs. 55W HID, both in a MD2S 3.0 and I could not, and would not, believe IRL it would actually have that good of an output. Granite, this guy was using halogen projectors, so even his stock halogens look like crap to me lol but that LMZ photo is disgusting. o_O

I'll stick to my $200 CBI's and not waste $250 on this garbage. Thanks again!

OEM Headlamps | TL Bi-Xenon | Osram D2S CBI 5,000K | Gatling Gun
                            Matsushita Gen V Ballasts | 9006 Morimoto MotoControl Harness

Comment

I still have to try mine. I feel like the way these are adjustable, most people aren't going to take the time to align them perfectly, and end up with crap output like in the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X