X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amber / White "Switchable" Off-Road Light Bars

Anyone seen these yet?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/out.php?u...item540ce30b47

I'm very apprehensive that the optics can cater to both a suitable white LED and also a suitable amber LED. Thoughts?

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Originally posted by TRSAndrew View Post
    I'm very apprehensive that the optics can cater to both a suitable white LED and also a suitable amber LED. Thoughts?
    That's exactly what I was thinking.... if there are 2 LEDs inside each reflector, then it can't possibly have great output, right?

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
      That's exactly what I was thinking.... if there are 2 LEDs inside each reflector, then it can't possibly have great output, right?
      I've had pretty good success with RGB Cree emitters on stars with projector optics and the output didn't change at all as different parts of the emmiter were outputting light.

That bar looks like reflector optics though, but as long as they are using a single RGB emitter that has all colors under one dome, the output pattern shouldn't really change much at all.

Comment

^^^ that is true, I didn't think of RGB emitters. But then again, RGB emitters would really suck in this application lol, since they don't make pure white or pure amber output.

Comment

I would assume amber is more for conspicuity, while white is more for visibility. In that sense, sharing the same reflector optics may be ok, since amber doesn't need to make the same light pattern as white.
          Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
            I would assume amber is more for conspicuity, while white is more for visibility. In that sense, sharing the same reflector optics may be ok, since amber doesn't need to make the same light pattern as white.
            Good point. The reflector could be focused on the white LED with the amber offset slightly so it shines into the reflector but just isn't as "optically efficient" as the white LEDs.

2015 Ford Party ST | 2013 Triumph Street Triple | Dr. LS460R: 227 built to date!

Comment

^^^ that is true, I didn't think of RGB emitters. But then again, RGB emitters would really suck in this application lol, since they don't make pure white or pure amber output.
              Could be some custom Emmiter that has just a cool white and amber section under one dome, not the most likely, but possible.

Comment

I just noticed; the wiring harness comes with 2 separate switches. Does that mean both white and amber can be turned on at the same time instead of a switchback mode?
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
                  I just noticed; the wiring harness comes with 2 separate switches. Does that mean both white and amber can be turned on at the same time instead of a switchback mode?
                  That was my first thought.
                  ***MH1 Retro***
                  "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
                  - Tennessee Williams

Comment

the listing claims that they're using cree 3w led's.. but cree doesn't make anything like that at all, unless they're using the xm-l rgb chip, which would have poor amber color rendition.. i know there are some low-end led mfg's that make led's like that, though haven't seen any high power iterations..
                    http://www.exledshop.com/d.i.y-parts...-1ea-copy.html
                    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

^^^ lol, don't all the ebay ads say the same thing regardless of what they're selling?

And I thought that the amber color output was for visibility through dust and fog on the trail, so they'd still need to have proper optics

It's probably a poor design, but people will spend their money on it because it's "cool" and then justify their purchase to the death.

Comment

It's probably a poor design, but people will spend their money on it because it's "cool" and then justify their purchase to the death.

Yeah maybe, but it's like getting two bars for the price of one so how could you NOT buy it?
                        ***MH1 Retro***
                        "America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
                        - Tennessee Williams

Comment

because i'd rather have 2 bars instead of one..
                          The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by BOO5TED View Post
                            Yeah maybe, but it's like getting two bars for the price of one so how could you NOT buy it?
                            Because you'll end up with 2 useless bars lol

Comment

I would hate to presume what they may be using, but I can't see them being RGB. Or even a double die/single package LED. Most likely two separate leds in close proximity.

Comment

Working...
                              X