No announcement yet.

2014 MDX LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Honda/Acura LED headlights sure are weird looking, almost creepy lol.....but I've noticed to that low beam LEDs look to blue for my taste especially the BMW ones I've seen at night out n about
    2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec-- built motor PTE6266 gen 2 haltech
    2007 Saab 9-3 Aero 6spd-- DD

Comment

^somewhere along the line, they somehow developed a standard that specifies the output of led's for headlamps to be 5600k.. i agree it's too blue, but there's zero alternatives..

upashi, can you see how large the heatsink(s) are at all? i'm curious to know how much space they take up after considering how large the prius' 3-led heatsink is..
      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

I still don't like the mdx's lights at all. It has way too many projectors in it's lights.

99 Dodge Durango SLT SelecTrac (NV242) 4WD 5.2L Magnum V8 Build Thread
        FX-R Retrofit - Picture Thread

2014 Dodge Charger R/T Awd

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
          ^somewhere along the line, they somehow developed a standard that specifies the output of led's for headlamps to be 5600k.. i agree it's too blue, but there's zero alternatives..

upashi, can you see how large the heatsink(s) are at all? i'm curious to know how much space they take up after considering how large the prius' 3-led heatsink is..
          Do you think they will "whiten" with use like 2-3years down the road when people start picking up the cars used?
          2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec-- built motor PTE6266 gen 2 haltech
          2007 Saab 9-3 Aero 6spd-- DD

Comment

nope. led's dim with time, so very likely, they won't be much better. not to mention that white led's are nearly all blue led's with a red+green phosphor layer added on top of them, so if anything they'll get bluer.

Comment

I will try guess from headlight housing size tomorrow when I get work. Unfortunately, I can't take apart this vehicle to do "lab work" lol..

5600K probably sound pretty accurate on how white LED color that typically used for main front lighting.

I was thinking,,, this low beam projector have complete low beam pattern by single optic,,just need 3 to obtain enough output volume unlike Toyota/Lexus family LED module have 3 different optics does each role.

maybe able to cut one of them and use higher power emitter to down size if emitter size is close to like SST-90 like 30W class LED??
              Looking at emitter, it looks square emitting area, not like 1x4 rectangular line layout emitters..

Got to wait bit more for those lamp start coming out in junk parts market in cheaper price.

Comment

Those close-up shots makes me believe that the housing that surrounds the lens is aluminum and acts as a heatsink, too? It looks aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by KurumaOtaku View Post
                  Those close-up shots makes me believe that the housing that surrounds the lens is aluminum and acts as a heatsink, too? It looks aluminum.
                  Shroud likely is plastic, like PET or PC kind thing.
                  It has texture on surface, but it's not from sand cast kind. Texture will help prevent undesired sun light focus by diffusing with texture too.

Comment

Powerfull emitters are mostly >5000K that's why they are blueish.
                    And all that emitters are dimmed through PWM (real digital PWM, not "resistored" dimmer) so you have NO color difference on 1% and 100%.

I like LEDs. BUT
                    I've used Lexus LS600 for couple of weeks and don't like its LED headlights. They are too dim and non-informative copared to HID lamps in LS460.
                    LED technology is not effective enough to compete with xenon in HL. For now.
                    And it's too expencive and sophisticated in heat management.
                    There is no reason to retrofit while you can just put hid and recieve 3200 lumenes for less than $100.

Comment

@knnk07 - we are all aware about LED versus HID. It's been compared so many times in this forum and elsewhere but this thread is just about the MDX LED headlight. New applications for vehicles intrigue us and we'd like to know more about these types of headlights that's starting to emerge in the market. With folks like upashi, we don't search the net for this information.

Comment

Originally posted by knnk07 View Post
                        Powerfull emitters are mostly >5000K that's why they are blueish.
                        And all that emitters are dimmed through PWM (real digital PWM, not "resistored" dimmer) so you have NO color difference on 1% and 100%.

I like LEDs. BUT
                        I've used Lexus LS600 for couple of weeks and don't like its LED headlights. They are too dim and non-informative copared to HID lamps in LS460.
                        LED technology is not effective enough to compete with xenon in HL. For now.
                        And it's too expencive and sophisticated in heat management.
                        There is no reason to retrofit while you can just put hid and recieve 3200 lumenes for less than $100.
                        if i wasn't selling my car, i'd dedicate the led retrofit i never did to you, just for fun.

Comment

if i wasn't selling my car, i'd dedicate the led retrofit i never did to you, just for fun.
                          Thanks for saving my brain as there are too much people driving wierd blue "retrofits" today ))

@KurumaOtaku
                          Thanls, Captain, I coldn't get what was it all about

Comment

What is the OEM incentive for doing this? The R&D costs for all those optics... and the fact that the output is not as good. Surely it's something more beyond desire to be on the cutting edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Acey View Post
                              What is the OEM incentive for doing this? The R&D costs for all those optics... and the fact that the output is not as good. Surely it's something more beyond desire to be on the cutting edge.
                              That's probably all it is. Being on the cutting edge. Two things sell cars. Safety and cool toys. LED lights are cool toys that sell cars. Naturally the R&D, parts, and manufacturing cost way more. However, so does the car. I doubt they're giving them away for the cost of a halogen reflector. You're getting cool toys but you're paying for it too.
                              FireRanger
                              - 2003 Ford Ranger Edge+ 4.0 4wd
                              - Scangauge gizmo, Jereco cap w/ $5 rack, E-Fan w/ custom controller, LED dome light mod
                              - Icomm IC2800 dual-band ham radio, Motorla XTVA & XTS3000 UHF
                              - 55w D2S 6000k projectors going in! 55w 6000k H3's in the off-road lights (holy sunrise!).
                              - Destruction proof engine mod. I can't kill it no matter how hard I try

Comment

Someone's paying for it haha
                                AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Working...
                                X