2014 MDX LED headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 MDX LED headlight

I got chance to take quick snap shots of new MDX's LED headlights. Not too detailed pics but it should give us some idea how those works.

It consists of 5 optisc, outer 3 are for low beam and inner 2 does high beam.

I can't guess emitter specs...it's totally different from Prius/Lexus family 1x4 line layout emitter.
    It kinda looks like have 4 chips in ?? ( I kinda see 4 dots in yellow phosphor)

Guessing 4 inter-series layout, something like 13V Vf range type emitter..

Looks pretty balanced overall beam pattern, couldn't take picture outside yet,,,so only near distance shot for now.

Very good high beam focus

This is high beam only looks like ( 2 inner projector)

Low beam break down

each looks bit different in pic, but i think all of 3 low beam portion shoot same beam pattern.

Outer

center

Inner

Individual low beam has Koito's beam shaper like main reflector direct beam portion and beam shaper secondly beam.

Low beam pattern consists below 2 pattern.

Overall beam pattern

Along cut off line, there is strong line focus is mixed

helping distance view balance.

Upper edge of individual lens has fluted portion, and I saw yellow phosphor in that portion,,,so I thought it shoot some kind of side stretching beam, but it actually was doing nothing...

It was very bright and strong beam this headlight produce. But for sure, it will be very difficult to retrofit!!!

New Corolla looks like coming with Bi-LED single projector like MKZ. Those one may be much easier to retrofit into many headlights.
    Eventhough,,,heatsink is bulky in vertical dimension..

Unfortunately, I can't take this MDX to the road to snap night time pics,,, I should have access to this vehicle next a week or so..if I get better chance, I try outside mid distance pic against wall.

Hope it feed those who into LED lighting guys interests!!

Thanks for the writeup!
    2004 GMC Yukon Denali
    Hella E55 - ZKW-R - Philips 85122 - Philips LVQ-212
    OEM Euro Manual Headlight-Leveling System

Comment

Thanks for the investigative work. Looking forward to seeing more.
      I saw 2 new MDX on the street in the day and both MDX had headlights on during the day.
      Are these LEDs also being used as DRL?

Comment

Nice write up man. They look really white. Are they? I wonder when people will begin to retrofit LEDs
        AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Outout sucks
          Originally posted by nine44
          350 wit da wrist boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikecars View Post
            Outout sucks
            Drove with these?
            AAAAAAAAAAA

Comment

Originally posted by KurumaOtaku View Post
              I saw 2 new MDX on the street in the day and both MDX had headlights on during the day.
              Good question, I will check later.

Owner's manual says when light switch at "Auto" position, DRL comes on once parking brake released till low beams turn ON.
              I check which portion work as DRL. May be hard to tell if it they dim for DRL use,,let me try.

They are typical LED headlight white color, like 5000K~6000K look. Flicker from distance is very aggressively deep blue, purple range like most other LED headlights.

Comment

those do look nice

Comment

Really a beautiful piece of art!! I have stalled plans for HID retro in wake of these awesome LEDprojector HLs for my main headlamps!

Comment

Originally posted by sohail99 View Post
                    Really a beautiful piece of art!! I have stalled plans for HID retro in wake of these awesome LEDprojector HLs for my main headlamps!
                    Might be waiting a bit until it's more feasible. There are a few who have done it, but with much work (i've seen two examples, one with ls600h projectors, the other with jw speaker lamps)....shroud options are limited to what's OEM, heatsinks make space and mounting an issue...as well as sealing the back.. Many also require a ballast that's usually proprietary. Would make for a groundbreaking retro though.
                    2005 Legacy GT: Stage 2 + VF52 turbo, RX330 w/custom shield, Nichia DRL

Comment

i'm thinking that you might have captured the drl led... from what i can see from passing a couple mdx's in traffic, it appears that the drl uses the same optic system as the headlights, but somehow reflects towards the upper part of the projection lens..

here's one with the drl active

i've seen about 20 of them, and the drl appears in the same spot regardless of my position by the headlights(facing the car, or off to the side)..

i just find it really odd that they would deviate from what had been pretty much the 'standard' for led lamps...
                      The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                        i'm thinking that you might have captured the drl led... from what i can see from passing a couple mdx's in traffic, it appears that the drl uses the same optic system as the headlights, but somehow reflects towards the upper part of the projection lens..

here's one with the drl active

i've seen about 20 of them, and the drl appears in the same spot regardless of my position by the headlights(facing the car, or off to the side)..

i just find it really odd that they would deviate from what had been pretty much the 'standard' for led lamps...

You are exactly right...those upper portion fluted lens yellow was for DRL.

So there is separate emitters for DRL use. When switch at "Auto" position, DRL comes on once parking brake released.

Comment

Originally posted by KurumaOtaku View Post

I saw MDX's here too and wondered the same thing. BUT my guess and prolly observation is that when its really white and no bluish hint -- its only DRL.. The headlight output I saw when I was driving at night looks like close to 6K IMO..

I have the OEM LED DRL for the Accord and it looks really white but as some owners have suggested the LED lowbeam kinda looks bluish (compared) to the LED DRL.. dunno why..
                          Last edited by BANSwee; September 9th, 2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Low beam can look more blueish, probably because it's higher output power of white color LED than what it used in DRL.

Even same emitter, higher drive rate make light color temp shift higher.

Comment

Neato, thanks for sharing! I never get to see anything cool IRL

Comment

Working...
                              X