headlight LED/Halo resistor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headlight LED/Halo resistor question

Ok so I have a set of headlights with halo and led that I want to put back in my car. Unfortunately I am missing part of the wiring harness for my passenger side and need to buy the led light bulb, socket and resistor. I have located the leds (5 of them) and the socket holder but I cannot figure out what resistor I am suppose to get. Ive been checking online but I cannot find anything higher than a 50 watt and 6 ohm resistor and i dont know if this is right. I have attached a picture of the complete wiring harness and the black box is what I need. I think that is the resistor right? If not please correct me. So ive done website led calculation but i am getting more confused as I am doing this so I am hoping someone here can help me out. So what resistor do I need?

we need more details on the housings these came out of.. it looks like it should be a complete set that shouldn't need anything else, as usually they'll put the important bits inside that black box..
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Those look universal actually, I might still have all of mine here for you!

Comment

Soundman98- Yes I did come as a whole set. Unfortunately I lost one of the set and am looking to replace it individually. I have already located the led socket and everythhing else except for that black box. I contacted the seller of the headlight kit and they told me that they cannot sell me just the wiring harness and I must buy the whole headlight kit which is 400 bucks. There is no way I am spending that much money on just the wires. That it why I am trying to figure out what that black box is because once I figure out what that is I am good to go. Can anyone help me out with this.

Gold95corolla- Thats great I just PMed you

Comment

Looks like the same box in my Junyan aftermarket headlights. I wouldn't count on the LEDs lasting for long.

Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by ti837 View Post
            Gold95corolla- Thats great I just PMed you
            Hey, I just emptied my inbox, so try sending the PM again !

Comment

Satrya- Yea it is a junyan headlight. I emailed them like 3 times asking them to sell me the wiring kit but they wont email me back. do you know what that black box is by any chance.

Comment

I have no idea. I assume it is just a simple resistor. Although I could've checked to see what the resistance is, I never bothered. I was more interested in the housing as a retrofit donor.

On mine, the LEDs that came with the headlights started flashing on the hotter side of the engine bay. I replaced all of them with a lower power LED just so that I have a marginally visible parking light.
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Maybe we should go about this another way. Get some good close up pics if the LEDs and whatever you have and also a link to the product and we
                  can figure out a way to properly drive them. More tthan likely better than stock.

Comment

Ok so i took 2 more pictures of the resistor. I have been browsing online for resistors and using that resistor calculator but I have no idea what its really saying. The resistor is connected to 5 white LED. I would like to buy 2 resistors just so I can replace the other one so I dont have any problems later on.

Comment

LED resistor question

So I need to buy a resistor for my led headlights I have (I lost one of the wire harness set so I need to buy everything seperatly) I already bought the t10 socket and led light bulbs but I have no idea what to get when it comes to resistors. Ive used the led calculator numerous amounts of times and dont know if im really doing it right. Every time I inout 5 led in parallel series, its telling me I need to use 2 resistors (1 resistor is connected to 3 led and the other with 2). But my other pair that I do that has all 5 led wiring connected to just one resistor, and plus where do I find a resistor that has a negative and positive input and output. And what is mW? the led light bulbs I am buying ways 800mW @ 13.8VDC.

So if I am trying to get a resistor for (5) 800mW @ 13.8VDC (White) Led bulbs what ohm and watt resistor am I suppose it get.
                      Here is the link to the LED bulb I need:
                      http://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-hi...led-light.aspx

Here is a picture of the resistor on the other wire harness. I need to get something equivalent or I am willing to replace both of them but I dont know what resistor to get.

Comment

threads merged because there's a little more info in that post then you've posted here before.. i'd rather wait and see what vegas might be able to recommend before commenting..
                        The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

I am still having a difficult time telling from these photos what is going on there. Is that something you have in your hand or just a photo from the web?
                          To me it seems as though all 5 of the leds are simply in parallel, no series circuit involved. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 5 sockets each have a black wire and a white wire, and ALL the white wires are tied together and ALL the black wires are tied together? If so, then yes it's simply a parallel circuit.

The link to the product you bought helps, thank you. mW is milliwatts, so 800mW is equal to .8 watts. Using handy dandy ohms law as you will see in my signature we can tell that I=P/E
                          .8/13.2 = .0606 (amps) or in other words, 60mA PER led. Probably they are grossly overpowered for superbrightled stuff, but that drive current would be fine with genuine lumileds which I will recommend to you at this time.
                          Again, using ohms law we know that R = E/I so that tells us that 13.2/.060 = 220ohm resistor. That would be fine if you only had 1 led. Because you have 5, you need 1/5th the resistance, or 220/5= 44 ohms.
                          Also, at 13.2V * (.060 * 5) = 3.96 watts. So while a 5 watt resistor may work I would suggest a 10 watt instead.
                          Actually these #s are skewed a bit because they don't include the power dropout in the LEDs themselves, they assume all the power will be dropped in the resistors but this is close enough to true that it doesn't matter. In reality, depending on your color choice, about 25% of the power will be used in the leds, and the other 75% wasted as heat in the resistors.

So, if that's all you need to know, buy a 47 ohm 10 watt resistor similar to this,
                          http://www.sourcingmap.com/green-10-...FS_ZQgodgUcAMg

But if you want to know more, well, that's a bad circuit.
                          The parallel leds won't share current equally, the leds are over powered, the leds are of unknown quality, the leds will not maintain constant brightness as the power to them will vary constantly with the charging voltage of your vehicle because this is an unregulated circuit. If you want to do it right, this is the place.

Also, I don't really know what is in that black box with the black encapsulating compound. It may be as simple as a resistor or it may be a regulated circuit.

Comment

have you considered going CCFL? comes out looking much better and brighter too, makes your headlight look alot more professional.

just food for thought
                            Octa projectors, eight OEM bulbs, ~30,000lm , and 169 degrees of driving heaven!

Comment

They are for the little LED spot lights, not the halos, so CCFL is not an option here.

However, why not just ditch the entire setup? Those LEDs are just #194. I would try powering those LEDs without the resistor thing at all and see what happens. They each should receive 12v, if they are real #194 bulbs. If they blow, then just get 10 matching #194 LED bulbs and wire them straight up without the resistors, done.

Comment

Working...
                              X