Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Odyssey DRL/High beam LED?

Hi all,
    I just got a 2012 Odyssey. This van is using its high beam bulb- 9005 for double duty as DRL. When the headlight is not turn on, there is low voltage to power the 9005 as DRL.
    I am trying to get rid of the ugly yellow glow when it's on DRL. My question is can I use the LED bulb directly to replace the 9005? Will the low voltage cause any disfunction on DRL?
    Really appreciated your help.
    JT

Yes, the low voltage will screw up the LED, causing it to flicker and not light up hardly at all. And of course you won't have a high beam.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Gold. So my next question is, what kind of options do I have to replace or modifify the set up?

Comment

PnP LED bulb will work. Not going to be at it's full brightness, but it will work as DRL. Don't expect any PnP 9005 LED bulb will be bright enough to use as high beam though, even at it's full brightness.
        Look at my HID / Lighting works at Stupidpig HID | Facebook

Comment

You could always separate the high beam signal from the drl ... keep the high beam there and install an led bar/strip in the housing to use as drl, something similar to the new Accord headlamps.

That way the only time the yellowish light is on is when the high beams are on.

But I dunno how you would up the drl signal to light up the leds.
          Last edited by soulsea; October 22nd, 2012, 01:57 PM.

2015.5 RR V8SC
          2015 Z06/07

Comment

Hi stupidpig, sorry for the newbie questions...But what is PnP LED? The factory 9005 halogen wasn't bright to begin with so I might as well give a try.

Comment

You are doing plug-and-play LED.

Comment

So will the plug-and-play type of LED flicker when using as DRL? How about when I use it as high beam will it burn the light bulb? Since the power for halogen is using 60W?
                Please bear with me for the non-intelligent electrical questions.

Comment

Originally posted by csufl View Post
                  So will the plug-and-play type of LED flicker when using as DRL? How about when I use it as high beam will it burn the light bulb? Since the power for halogen is using 60W?
                  Please bear with me for the non-intelligent electrical questions.
                  I don't believe they would burn out but that's dependent on the quality of the LED unit itself.
                  RX350BX (EU) | STI-R | XB35 Ballasts| HD Relay | 66240 CBI | JDM AStar LED Int. | AFSpec LED Ext.

Comment

Recent Honda model, which using 9005 bulb for both DRL and high beam, are using PWM (Pulse-Width-Modulation) to bring the power down for DRL purpose, and PWM is a common way to dim LED. So, instead of problem, the LED bulb will more likely last longer when running at DRL mode (than having the same LED bulb running at full power). Most PnP LED bulb you can buy will simply working at lower brightness at DRL mode. When you turn on the high beam, the LED bulb will received the full power, so it will be at it's rated brightness, however, even at it's rated brightness, it will still be too dim for real high beam usage (compare with the 60W 9005 bulb). So, replacing the regular 9005 bulb with a 9005 LED bulb will get you the white color DRL, but you will pretty much lost the high beam functionality.

Keep in mind though, most PnP LED bulb are simply not having a lot of design consideration for heat/surge protection built-in, so at the end it's life may be shorter than regular 9005 bulb.
                    Last edited by StupidPig; October 22nd, 2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I don't think PnP bulb even bright enough for DRL use..

Depend on how LED bulb's driver running, but if it's buck driver and DRL run by lower voltage, it likely not light up at all.

If PWM dimmer is used for DRL, either LED bulb flicker at pules speed or driver circuit not compatible with PWM input(not light up).

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I found this type of the bulb- http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Power-...ng+light+bulbs
                        Since there is a "project" type of the bulb in the front, I am assuming it is using as a high beam. Anyone experience this type? Will it be brighter than the type mentioned above? I think it is call CREE, not sure what's teh difference between this & the PnP?
                        Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by upashi View Post
                          I don't think PnP bulb even bright enough for DRL use..

Depend on how LED bulb's driver running, but if it's buck driver and DRL run by lower voltage, it likely not light up at all.

If PWM dimmer is used for DRL, either LED bulb flicker at pules speed or driver circuit not compatible with PWM input(not light up).
                          Well, most peoples want to convert their 9005 DRL to white color is mainly for the look, not really for functional, at least that what I understanded.

If the LED bulb is using buck driver (which most cheap PnP 9005 LED bulb are not), then yes, it very likely won't work with PWMed power supply under DRL mode.

Comment

Originally posted by csufl View Post
                            This one very likely come with buck driver, so it may not work under DRL mode by itself. I think they are also selling some power module (which may be just simply a big capacitor ) to get it work, check their website. But even then, it still not going to be bright enough for high beam usage.

Comment

So if more LED bulbs= brighter, I am assuming this one with 120 LED can somehow make up for the high beam usage?
                              http://store.ijdmtoy.com/120-SMD-900...-lights-4l.htm
                              I am new at this and definitely not familiar with electrical part.. Sorry if i keep throwing stuff at you guys and trying to find out the answer.
                              -)

Comment

Working...
                              X