What color LEDs does BMW use for their interior lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What color LEDs does BMW use for their interior lighting

Ive tried red/orange superflux but they are a little too red, Ive tired amber they are way too yellow.

Im thinking they might just be orange LEDs but I cant find any orange LEDs on radioshacks site and I even checked on besthongkong and they dont have orange either??

1.) Does anyone know what color BMWs use for their gauges and buttons etc. or maybe what manf' they get them from.

2.) Does anyone here have any orange LEDs they can light up and post a pic so I can compare them.

Thanks for any help!!

Mine : Lexus GX470
    SC430 projectors - S2K lenses | Potted Denso ballasts w/ 85122 bulbs

Wife : BMW E39
    SC430 projectors - S2K lenses | aluminum adjusters | Denso ballasts
    85122+ bulbs | Philips Superflux LED sidemarkers | OEM E60 LED plate bulbs

not sure if they are orange, i have always thought they were red?

but anyways, you'll find orange LEDs on ebay, wavelength around the 610nm range - for reference, amber superflux are in the 590nm range more toward the yellow range while red orange is higher in the 620nm range.

Comment

Maybe it's the color of the plastic that they put in front of their lights. For example, you can put a white lamp in front of a red lens and end up with red light.

I'm not sure whether or not that's what BMW is doing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by need4speed
        not sure if they are orange, i have always thought they were red?

but anyways, you'll find orange LEDs on ebay, wavelength around the 610nm range - for reference, amber superflux are in the 590nm range more toward the yellow range while red orange is higher in the 620nm range.
        No theyre definitely not pure red, they look red but just more orange than red. I tried to take a pic of my 5mm red against the BMWs but in the pic they look the same but in person they are completely different. The BMWs are more orange.

Thats for the help.....I think 610nm might be it, I'll give it a try and see.

Originally posted by Diny
        Maybe it's the color of the plastic that they put in front of their lights. For example, you can put a white lamp in front of a red lens and end up with red light.

I'm not sure whether or not that's what BMW is doing, though.
        I though of that too....on my Acura they use a coating over the gauges to make the light turn a different color but not on my BMW.

They dont use anything in front of their LEDs. I removed the LEDs from a extra map light I have and the color you see is the color of the LEDs.

Comment

I think BMW uses these or at least the color is pretty similar:
          4 degrees: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shiba/2589.pdf

I found one site but they wanted $3+ for a single LED, thats more than a superflux. I found another site and just bought some from them. I paid $10 for 500 + $10 s/h. The s/h is high but they are in the US and it breaks down to .04 cents per LED.

22 degrees: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...shiba/2513.pdf

Comment

Let me know how they work out. I also have an E39 and I love the 2 little LEDs that light up the center console. You barely notice them until you put your hand in the way of their beam.

Comment

i love my orange led dash, one of my best mods. the orange leds are all over ebay from overseas sellers and yes its true orange, not yellow/amber. here are some pics... the camera is not the greatest so some of the pics dont look as dark as in real life. its a very rich orange and gives the interior an expensive look at night.

and some bottom glow in the cluster to match

Comment

Originally posted by gearbox

Yep they look orange alright. On my BMW the whole interior is orange, I was going to do a white LED interior but I kinda like the orange.

A member on the BMW site was thinking of doing some footwell mood lights like some TLs and MDXs have. We already have 2 LEDs (moodlights) in our map light on the roof that shines down on our center console like some TLs have but they have blue and not orange.

I was going to order the Ebay orange LEDs but I though why not pay a few bucks more and get a name brand like Toshiba. Plus ordering 500 I'll always have extras.

Comment

nice. hopefully you got real orange ones i think they should be around 605-610nm. 590-595 is amber. my ebay hongkong leds have been holding up for 2 yrs now so far so good, even with the heater and sun on them.

Comment

Originally posted by gearbox
                    nice. hopefully you got real orange ones i think they should be around 605-610nm. 590-595 is amber. my ebay hongkong leds have been holding up for 2 yrs now so far so good, even with the heater and sun on them.
                    I hope....the spec sheet said dominant 605 / peak 612. Did you still wire yours in series or did each LED get their own resistor?

Comment

Weird--they are red in my girlfriend's dad's 335. No mistaking them for orange.

Comment

Originally posted by V_Eight
                        Weird--they are red in my girlfriend's dad's 335. No mistaking them for orange.
                        I though they were more a reddish orange if anything but I guess they are just orange.

Heres a comparison pic of my gauge cluster against 4 red/orange superflux. I turn on the superflux interior when Im crusin for hookers. LOL

Comment

i wired mine in series of 5 leds for each dial, and only 2 leds for each button. had to add a ton of extra resistance when i was done both to dim down the brightness and to match the dials and buttons to be the same brightness. i used office paper cutouts to diffuse the leds so it looks smooth instead of spotty. when i first wired them up for 16v max, i could see the dash lights during the day in bright sun lol

Comment

I know this is really old thread, but I am looking for a similar color led to light up my center console and foot wells. Did the 612 nm work? If so, do you have a source?

thanks in advance,

-PM

Comment

Working...
                            X