Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLED 2.0 Help on a 1990 Miata – No high beam

Hi everyone,

So, a few weeks back I got super 7 LED’s (MLED 2.0) for my 1990 Miata. Great low beams, but I can’t get the high beams on. I can hear the motor click and for a split second I can see the beams turn on, but then they immediately shut off. I have tried a ground switching unit from HIDpros in Bellevue WA, but I don’t think it’s working correctly; I’ve hooked it up and there is no high beam or low beam. Now, I could see if there’s any better place to ground this connection, but I have to wonder if the chip isn’t getting enough power to operate the high beam…

I don’t mind only having low beam, but it’s a tad annoying because I will have to swap bulb assemblies every year to get my car inspected.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know!

The high beam does not add any additional power to the LED chip itself. Can you bench test to make sure that MLED2.0 high beam works as intended?
    Then, it will be some wiring configuration that needs to be worked on the vehicle side.

MLED2.0 input is polarity sensitive.

Bench test first to clear the driver issue or not, then, check input polarity.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply, I don’t have anything I could use to bench test, but I guess I could go out and look for something. I assume I’d just connect the neg and the pos to the high beam connector on the controller module before the h4 adapter?

Comment

First of all, check with your car battery. It's the most simple DC 12V power source. MLED2,0 driver input socket has an embossed mark which to identify polarity. Connecting wrongly can damage the driver. Also, try to reach out to customer service, they may are more familiar with your specific vehicle than I.

Comment

The battery is in the trunk, but I just meant I don't have any connectors that would fit inside of the plug to clamp on to the pins. I did reach out to them, but they didn't have much information either. I will ask them if they could send me new drivers, they're supposed to have a five year warranty. I have a feeling that this order was a bit rushed, I didn't get some parts that were required for assembly and haven't been totally impressed with TRS to be quite honest, but we are in a pandemic...

Comment

Try to reach them out, but I suggest you check the driver itself first. It can even light up with a 9V battery literally ( not the full power of course, but it at least tells you if the driver is dead or not) Give me a min, I show you super simple how-to

Comment

IMG_6806 by
              Yoshi, on Flickr

IMG_6807 by Yoshi, on Flickr

IMG_6812 by Yoshi, on Flickr

Just do a very short period of time, under power drive can stress component too, but it is a simple way of checking if the driver is dead or not. If your high beam doesn't come ON, either driver had an issue or you damaged it by connecting wrongly.

When the polarity is specified, it's the user's responsibility to verify polarity. Some vehicles can have flipped polarity even against their own repair manuals sometimes. It is very important to verify the polarity on your own. A simple multimeter ( under $20) can save the investment sometimes.

Comment

Thank you for the tutorial, I still need to find clamps that will go on the positive and negative as you have shown here, I have a battery charger that has a 12v mode (I'll have to double check) that I could use as an external power source. I reached out to them as it's probably the driver, but I'll double check. Going to harbor freight now

Comment

Okay, so I got the headlight hooked up, wired the high beam connector to my power source, heard the motor flip the shield, but no light...

Comment

When I do the same thing to the low beam, the light turns on, and when I use the flash function of the high beam, the high beam functions.

Comment

you can see here: https://youtu.be/NiWGaNJxN-c
                      (high beams work when lights are switched on but powered by external source)

Comment

It's really hard to visualize how your system is hooked, any picture you may be able to snap to post here? By your last post, somehow high beam work? But on the direct power source, not working?

Comment

ahh,, You got MLED1.0 that is Not 2.0 I didn't design 1.0, and I am with limited information. Try to check both drivers, directly power by the power source, if it works with an external power source, some complication in the vehicle wiring configuration.

Comment

Hopefully this clears things up!
                            Image IMG-1514 hosted in ImgBB

Comment

This should be the MLED 2.0, it's the 2.0 projector in the super 7 housing. I ordered this with the H4 splitter. https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...air?quantity=1

Comment

Working...
                              X