Hiperlights 921 (2800+ lumens) versus JDM Astar "50 watt" 921

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by projector-head View Post

Now, the Lasfit bulbs basically have no heatsink to speak of. It's literally a bare PCB with chips and resistors and all that plainly visible, unlike the JDM Astar. How long the Lasfits will last, I have no idea, but that might be part of why they're so cheap--they're meant to be disposable bulbs. It's worth noting that the crashnburn80 on TacomaWorld has tested a similar bulb to the Lasfit (bunch of LEDs on a bare PCB, no heatsinking) and also found it to be the brightest of the bunch, but noted that it wasn't the longest-lasting of the bunch. It's also worth noting that the Lasfits come with a 1 year warranty, and customer service seems to be pretty good--they emailed me asking if I received the bulbs--so even if they fail within a year, you can get a replacement.

I'm not sure how useful the LEDs on the tip are. I'm interested in testing the VLEDs "high output" 921, which forgoes the tip LEDs for a heatsink
    I've used the red versions of those VLEDS bulbs. They're amazing in the small reflectors housings of a 3rd-brake light, but wasn't too impressed when I tried them in the large housing of a taillight's (original 194) parking light location, the cheap amazon 194s with two radial rows and some front firing emitters worked better

Originally posted by Bitter View Post
    I have the Auxito ones in my Mazda and they're super bright once you get them turned to the correct angle, even with my awful fluted lenses. I bought a second pair to run in my Celica but never got around to doing that, I'm happy with whatever name brand ones I'm running currently that have a good color to them. The Auxito, while very bright, aren't the nicest looking. They kind of have a washed out green hue to them which I'm not a fan of, but they are SUPER bright. Like PNP headlights lol.
    I actually bought the Auxitos based on your recommendation I didn't notice a green hue
    Originally posted by HK45
    I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

A friend of mine loaned me their XTR license plate reverse lamp. I'm very impressed. They got it during a sale for about $60, which is a really good price, especially given the performance.

The numbers say that the XTR has superior width--just look at the candela figures at 30L and 26.5R (30 degrees left of vertical, 26.5 degrees right of vertical).

Power draw is 1.284 amps at 12 volts, or about 15 watts. The nice thing about the license plate reverse light is that it can maintain that 15 watts for a long time, unlike any other tested reverse light. The Xenon Depot site claims 29.9 watts, but I'm not sure how they got that number. The XTR license plate reverse light never came anywhere close to using 29.9 watts.

The XTR license plate reverse light makes a lot of claims about its optical lens and I think it lives up to the hype, with a buttery smooth field of illumination on my wall. You can just see the numbers--they're very consistent from 30 degrees left of vertical to 26.5 degrees right of vertical, and from 0 to 10 degrees below the horizontal. There aren't random, weird hotspots or streaks of light in the beam pattern.

I think that the lens elevates the XTR above other license plate reverse lamps, like the one from VLEDs, which uses a clear, non-optical lens. I don't think that a row of emitters behind a clear lens is the most efficient way to go about things, and that an optical one that attempts to spread the light horizontally and focus the majority of the light below the horizontal is the best approach.

Here are some pictures of the XTR in action. I only paired the XTR with the HPL because the HPLs were, by far, the highest-performing 921 LED bulbs I had, and I wanted to pit the top performers against each other.

Using the XTRs ($60-75) with the HPLs (another $60-75) would mean you've spend $100 to $150 on reverse lamps. I think most people would pair the XTRs with some cheap LED bulbs, like the Lasfits ($12) and call it a day. I wouldn't recommend pairing the XTR with the factory incandescent bulbs because the XTR draws a ra

As you can see, the XTRs aren't washed out by the HPLs. In fact, the XTRs improve on the HPLs rather dramatically, with better width and overall more light. What we see in the pictures matches the data in the chart above very well--the XTRs have great width according to the chart (30L, 26.5R) and the XTRs destroy the HPLs in terms of width as the side mirror shots show so well.

If it were me, I'd pair the XTRs with some cheap LED bulbs and call it a day. Even the highest-performing 921 LED bulb can't match a dedicated license plate reverse lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        I actually bought the Auxitos based on your recommendation I didn't notice a green hue
        Did you try to clock the Auxitos any particular way? Like did you try to make the side-facing emitters face 9 and 3? I just got them today, and I'll be trying them out later tonight.

So far I'm pretty impressed...they draw about 12 watts at first, but that number falls rapidly. Still, at 12 watts, the bulb should easily be good for 1000 lumens...

Comment

Did you try to clock the Auxitos any particular way? Like did you try to make the side-facing emitters face 9 and 3? I just got them today, and I'll be trying them out later tonight.

So far I'm pretty impressed...they draw about 12 watts at first, but that number falls rapidly. Still, at 12 watts, the bulb should easily be good for 1000 lumens...
          I'll have to check, but probably clocked the same way the original incandescent was.
          I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

I tested the Auxitos with the chips clocked both ways. One trial was with the chips on the side of the bulb facing up and down (12 and 6). The other is how one would usually clock a PnP LED bulb--with the emitters facing the sides (9 and 3) of the reflector.

The 9 and 3 method is obviously superior, with much better width. It makes sense, since having the chips face up/down (12 and 6) reduces the illumination of the parts of the reflector responsible for horizontal spread.

I think everyone here is right--the Auxito 921s are a real winner, especially for the price (about $25).

They start at about 12 watts, and stabilize to about 5-6 watts. Even at 5-6 watts, they are nearly beating the HPLs. I took all the readings of the Auxito bulbs after it had stabilized to 5-6 watts. Taking the readings after turning on the bulb is useless--the power draw drops VERY quickly and by the time I'm done taking measurements at half the test points, the power draw is already 50% of initial. Some readings would be at 12 watts, others at 10 watts, and the majority at 6 watts, kinda useless and misleading tbh.

If you're not reversing for more than 30 seconds, then you should be seeing the full brightness of the Auxito bulbs.

The real world images confirm that clocking the bulbs at 12 and 6 causes you to lose some width, which is especially visible in the top image. As you can see, the Auxitos are neck-and-neck with the best 921s, the HPL's. I think the main advantage that the HPL has is that the HPL can sustain its high (12 watt) power draw for much longer than the Auxito's. The Auxito's start at 12 watts and this number falls almost immediately out the gate. The HPLs can resist heat soak for about a minute or two. However, I like the rubber grommet that the Auxito's come with--much better than the VLEDs Triton-like mounting system with screws on the HPL's.

Last edited by projector-head; April 9th, 2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Glad I held off ordering the HPLs, looks like I'm sticking with the Auxitos LOL. Now if Hiper would produce amber versions of those "mini Tritons" I'd probably order them.

Comment

The Auxito's do very well. I'm really impressed.

Are you looking for amber 921s?

Comment

The Auxito's do very well. I'm really impressed.

Are you looking for amber 921s?
                  I found two amber 921s that work well but still not as bright as T20/T25 signal bulbs. I think an amber version of the HPLs may yield brightness of at least the less expensive T20/T25 LEDs on the market. I've converted the (originally 194) corner parking lights to park + turn function because the actual turn signals are either in the inner corners of the headlights or towards the center of the bumper.

https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numb...1-36-hv-a.html
                  https://www.lasfit.com/products/921-...f5b23629&_ss=r
                  Didn't pay regular pricing for either; bought the VLEDS during their Memorial Day or Black Friday sale and made an offer for the Lasfits at their ebay store

Comment

Hmm, I thought those Lasfit 921's would do better than that. You sound a little disappointed by them haha. They look similar in design to their 7440 turn signal bulb, which is VERY bright.

But yeah, it's probably going to be hard to find something that can replace a 194 bulb and still be bright. Even with something bigger like the 921...it's hard to find anything that can draw much more than 3 or 4 watts unless you want to have a big honking heatsink attached.

I've thought about doing a similar conversion as you are considering...at one point I was thinking about duct taping in the color-changing (amber/white) Bosalla bullet LED bulbs, lol.

What kind of headlamp are you working on?

Comment

My expectations are just too high I guess. They're definitely the brightest amber 921s I've used, maybe if Lasfit had front firing emitters they'd be perfect for my use.

I do have a pair of non-brand Lasfits in a 7443 switchback, identical minus the brand etched in the front. The yellow is blindingly bright but lighter in shade compared to most LEDs; white isn't very bright, the Profile Peak switchbacks I compared them to have a brighter white circuit. They also reach their thermal protection very quickly (starts to hyper flash) as described on Lasfit's site.

Headlights -

3rd-gen Honda CRV

Fresnel lens to the right is a T20 turn signal, amber at the upper left is a 194 parking light but has enough space for a 921. I'm using some very bright but failure prone (runs so hot some of the solder joints came apart) 194 ambers from amazon at the moment but will put in the VLEDS bulbs when I repair/upgrade the projector retro next week.

Other 921-converted lights are the corner lights of my '02 4Runner

I was using the VLEDS bulbs but very recently switched to Lasfits. I stripped off the chrome to match my retrofit that's all black down to the passive demon eyes. I wanted to try something stealthier looking than the VLEDS so I ordered the Lasfits and painted the metal areas black. Even with the black reflector they still worked well.

The corner lights weren't reinstalled in this photo but you can see the rectangular bumper signals towards the center. The outer openings are for fog lights.
                      I'm going back to halogens and unmodified corner lights while I do some clean up the retro and ordered another pair of Lasfits (won't be painting that pair LOL)

Comment

You should take in account that HPL bulbs were specially designed for backup cam assistance so they have special "mainly focusing" optics.

Its goal is to maximize light intensivity in zero point ( 0 ) which is not seen in mirrors (your fotos) but is seen in backup cam.
                        You can see it on your "beamshots" - HPL will give 660 vs Auxito's 303.

If you do NOT have cam and need "light in mirror" you have to choose "flood"-type bulb.
                        Or just remove optics from HPL bulb ))
                        But "no-cam" car is a rare thing nowdays AFAIK

...and you should rotate them a bit to have more light (twice measured) in R zone.

P.S.
                        We have tested Auxitos 2-3 years ago (they are generally sold as noname on Aliexpress for 10-15 USD).
                        They use something like SSC WICOP.
                        Last edited by knnk07; May 4th, 2020, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X