MLED 2.0 is out... thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upashi View Post
    For MLED2.0, the only early batch had the plain lens and AR coated lens now are standard.
    It does not have blue-ish color however though, it's slightly greenish, faint tint of purple depending on reflection.

It adds a very slight amount of output volume about 5% or so compare to the plain lens. The output color is almost identical to the vast majority of the user's eye, some say very slightly warmer.
    Oh awesome, thanks for the clarification. I had just put "AR coating" and "blue/purple tint" together in my mind and thought one meant the other, so I was confused when Matt mentioned it. It would be cool to have that blue tint lens though, but at least that answers that!

Comment

For MLED2.0, the only early batch had the plain lens and AR coated lens now are standard.
      It does not have blue-ish color however though, it's slightly greenish, faint tint of purple depending on reflection.

It adds a very slight amount of output volume about 5% or so compare to the plain lens. The output color is almost identical to the vast majority of the user's eye, some say very slightly warmer.
      So my next question then is in regards to CCT. According to the specs, the CCT is listed at 6300k. So is this the actual output of the light after the AR warming? Or is this the raw LED chip color. Looking to find matching fogs. Thanks!

Comment

6,300K is at LED chip itself, and I do not exactly know outputting chromaticity. A matching fog lamp will be hard though. Every LED bulb on the market has practically meaningless color temp rating, some overheat and shows much bluer.
        Most of the well known LED bulb likely have similar output color, just not sure if I can call those as "match" going through the lens, material of the lens, reflector surface finish, all impact to final output color.

I would enjoy whatever the reliable LED system, still will look sharp What light source you are trying to use for fog lamp?

Comment

6,300K is at LED chip itself, and I do not exactly know outputting chromaticity. A matching fog lamp will be hard though. Every LED bulb on the market has practically meaningless color temp rating, some overheat and shows much bluer.
          Most of the well known LED bulb likely have similar output color, just not sure if I can call those as "match" going through the lens, material of the lens, reflector surface finish, all impact to final output color.

I would enjoy whatever the reliable LED system, still will look sharp What light source you are trying to use for fog lamp?
          yeah I know what you mean about CCT being useless, and matching things to be impossible. I'm used to 5000k+3000k output, and I was thinking 6000k for both would already be more blue than I'm used to, and 6300k would be even more, but if it's warmed up by the projector and lens, then it should still work with a 6000k fog I think. Been looking at the Diode Dynamics SS3 sport.

Comment

Just be cautious of falling into a particular "kelvin color" mindset. A 5000k color temperature, for example, can fall along a wide range of hues depending on the light source or even a BIN for LED. Chromaticity matters. Kelvin does not.

I used this image on FB to talk about the SV4 bulb so you can kinda ignore the image but you'll see where color temperatures fall along the black body. A 5000K labeled light source can be various hues. Enough to possibly be noticeable (or not).

The only way to color match is to match chromaticity coordinates.

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

yeah I mostly just want to make sure it's not too blue, but still a nice good white color. Still more research to do first!

Comment

Threaded shaft center axis now align to lens center axis.
                Yoshi, do the projectors have a downward "tilt" when either shaft mounting or nut-and-bolt like the D2S projectors?
                Originally posted by HK45
                I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Yoshi, do the projectors have a downward "tilt" when either shaft mounting or nut-and-bolt like the D2S projectors?
                  Shaft center axis and lens center axis aligned to the beam central axis. There is no downward tilt. I did not think D2S had such tilt though.

Dimension by Yoshi, on Flickr

Comment

I'd be interested in the chromaticity coordinates, or even a full report from a spectrophotometer. I'm happy to do an analysis if you'd like to send me one.

I'd love to get a set of these that's closer to 4300K CCT. The beam pattern/output looks great.

Comment

Working...
                    X