Made the switch from halogen bulbs to LED bulbs, got a couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made the switch from halogen bulbs to LED bulbs, got a couple questions

So I just recently switched my stock halogen h11 bulbs to led h11 bulbs. I have a 2017 Camry which uses halogens in projector lenses.

I switched to the VLED micro extreme led bulbs. Well they are certainly brighter than the stock halogen bulbs.

However, I have a couple complaints. The foreground of my car is WAY brighter than before. This includes the ground within the first 10-30 feet in front of the car as well as some out to the sides. Whenever I drive at night, I can't help but focus on the bright patch of light that is in front of the car - instead of looking out towards the traffic in front of me. This is especially distracting on highway driving because the ground in front is well lit but I need to concentrate on the road 100-200 feet in front of me. Is this normal with all types of led or hid type bulbs that increase light output?

Another thing, is that while these are definitely brighter and shine light further than the halogens, they don't shine THAT far down the road and I am kind of disappointed by the improvement. I would say that the LED light does not carry it’s intensity that far as I thought. The light doesn’t exactly “cut” through the darkness. I would say anything past ~75 feet seems too dim. Maybe this is because the foreground is SO lit up that it’s washing out the background?

What is everyone else experience with LED h11 bulbs? Do you feel the same way? Is this just the nature of the game? Should I switch to an HID setup?

edit: also does anyone know how to get rid of the galaxy background in the text box? I can't see anything when I type. Had to type it out in word then paste it here.
    Last edited by bairpaws; November 8th, 2019, 11:32 PM.

Hi. The background in the text box drives me nuts as well. Your problem could maybe get a little better by rotating the bulb. If the design allow s it. Hid will most likely be better but the only real performance upgrade is a retrofit.
    Subaru Outback retrofit:
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
    License plate lights with dual brightness:
    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
      Hi. The background in the text box drives me nuts as well. Your problem could maybe get a little better by rotating the bulb. If the design allow s it. Hid will most likely be better but the only real performance upgrade is a retrofit.
      I decided to just return the LED bulbs. It seems like the position of the LEDs on the micro extreme h11 bulb isn't that good compared to the diodedynamics bulb. I might try the dd bulb but I am not sure if I want to spend the time and money to just test it out. I think the real problem is the projector lenses in my car. someone said the toyota projectors arent that great at focusing light.

but even if i look at customer review pictures of the dd bulb, the foreground is extremely bright there too. the only difference is that the light is traveling further compared to the vled bulbs i got.

Comment

For the price of two to three sts of led bulbs you can do a cheap retrofit yourself. led projectors can be had for around 100 usd and cheap hid projectors and ballasts for 60 usd. the labor shouldnt be too bad. I am pretty sure you can buy a matching bracket for around 25 usd. G5 r projectors for around 60 usd and some used oem ballasts should do the trick.
        Subaru Outback retrofit:
        http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
        License plate lights with dual brightness:
        https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Originally posted by Crossgolf View Post
          For the price of two to three sts of led bulbs you can do a cheap retrofit yourself. led projectors can be had for around 100 usd and cheap hid projectors and ballasts for 60 usd. the labor shouldnt be too bad. I am pretty sure you can buy a matching bracket for around 25 usd. G5 r projectors for around 60 usd and some used oem ballasts should do the trick.

I could but I have no experience modifying headlights. as someone told me, there is mechanically inclined and then theres bake your headlights in the oven and guess how long it takes. if oyu guess wrong you get to buy new headlights lol.. if anything I might pay someone to do the work for me later down the line if I own this car long term.

also im not the kind of guy to purchase cheaper things that will get the job done. i usually go big dick baller mode and get the best for what im willing to spend, so thats why i think i will hold off on any real costly mods until i know im keeping the car haha
          Last edited by bairpaws; November 11th, 2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Same boat here (2012). I had a set of H11 2Stroke 2.0s laying around so I decided to give them a shot in place of the pre-existing H11 XB HID bulbs knowing full well they wouldn't come close. I'm not terribly pleased with the increased foreground output and the output in general even with the XBs I had. I'll be retrofitting single-xenon RX350s into them in about a month's time after I tune them to my liking. And get my power supply built.

I have a bit of work to do!

Comment

There are a lot of PnP (plug and play) LED bulbs marketed to replace halogen bulbs; the better ones have good thermal management (very important for its longevity) and can better imitate the filament's glow. "Imitate" is important, because 100% replication of the light pattern given off by a halogen filament, which the projector or reflector design relies on in their design, greatly affects the quality of the output. Brighter is not better if it doesn't get distributed correctly. Unfortunately, many of them greatly increase foreground lighting, which also increases the chance that customers will perceive them as "better".

There are h11 halogen bulbs with higher lumens rating than the OE. The fake ones simply say so on the packaging and/or coat the bulb with blue/purple color to give off the appearance of HID (and thus the false association HID = brighter). In reality, the color coating blocks the warmer light. The better ones give off more light at the expense of reduced lifespan. These latter bulbs would be a reasonable tradeoff if you want to avoid a retrofit.

Another thing to look for is to inspect the headlight housing lens to make sure that the polycarbonate material hasn't hazed over time (due to UV exposure). There are restoration kits that essentially polish the surface back to clear, and then there are UV protectant clearcoats that one can apply.

The next step beyond this, unfortunately, is a retrofit. If there is a factory HID option for the MY2017, perhaps you can source a pair of HID headlight housing plus the ballast. You may need an aftermarket harness to make it work, as switching from OE halogen harness (that came with your vehicle) to OE HID harness may not be practical.
              Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

The VLEDS Micro Extremes are not the best choice for plug and play LED bulbs, to put it nicely. Their double rows of emitters on each side of the bulb introduce a ton of foreground light and make the overall focus even worse than the standard VLEDS Micro LED. To be fair, I believe VLEDS originally marketed the Extremes for off-road purposes, citing the extra foreground illumination as a benefit. Not sure who goes off-roading at night, but maybe some people do LOL.

There are better LED choices out there, but the bottom line is that none of them are a perfect replacement for a halogen bulb in a halogen housing. The best bet for improved lighting (beyond high-performance halogens), as others have stated, is an HID retrofit.

Comment

Originally posted by bairpaws View Post
                  edit: also does anyone know how to get rid of the galaxy background in the text box? I can't see anything when I type. Had to type it out in word then paste it here.
                  When replying, the top-left most button removes the background. When you hover your pointer to the correct button, it should say "Source". Not sure why the latest forum version has this odd arrangement.

Back to the main topic, short of retrofitting, I think making sure the headlight housing is not hazed and compromising by buying the shorter life (but good OE) bulbs is the only way. With an older vehicle (not MY2017 like you stated), another thing to try is to add a good aftermarket harness that will maximize the voltage getting to the bulbs.

If you try to find a pair of headlight housings with HID, be aware that the aftermarket ones may not provide useful upgrade, as the projectors (as well as bulbs and ballasts) in the set may not be good. If they are OE, there is still a risk that the projector's reflector bowl surface might not be pristine.

Fwiw, it took me more than 10 years to convince myself to try to retrofit. While it isn't easy, it's not as hard as I thought.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Working...
                  X