X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernova V4 and clones

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J6614JR/
    https://headlightrevolution.com/supe...05-9145-bulbs/

So I've been seeing these pop up here and there as 'good' for high beams, I've been looking for something brighter than my HIR bulbs for a while now. Does anyone have any experience? Is that lumen figure total BS?
    2000 Celica GTS 'slowest gts evar'
    1998 Mazda 626 FS-DE/CD4E 'mom-mobile'

You know better than to fall victim to loominz claims. LOL. What matters most is the focus. They could be 8000 verifiable lumens but that don't mean jack.

On the other hand these are quite powerful. My pair are 30 watts. Focus is so-so. For high beams I may give them an endorsement mostly because of their glaring nature in low beams. I don't have a HB3/HB4 version only H11. Not so sure these particular LEDs can beat out HIR mainly because they most certainly won't match the focus. Sure they'll probably throw more light to the sides and scatter about around the perimeter but the central zone that is meant to shoot straight ahead down road in the beam won't be as focused.

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

I mean, if you check out the specs for the Cree chips they're based on or claim to use the wattage at least lines up but the lumen figure is a little off, but on the low side. 3600 per bulb isn't that fantastical for 100lm/watt at 36W spread across 6 emitters and would fall into the specs listed by Cree for some E1 color with R4 binning on the XD16 emitters.

Comment

They are not Cree chips and you won't find anything comparable to their currently listed portfolio. Technically speaking, Cree supposedly designed this chip (or a variant) and decided it was not cost beneficial to produce. So they sold the patent to another LED manufacturer. And since Cree has numerous subsidiaries globally, its unknown where the design originated. When we see Cree we immediately think the American Cree company. Its really sneaky marketing because these Chinese LED headlight bulb makers can make a claim that its "Cree technology" or "based on XD14" or even say its an actual Cree chip and still be truthful to a degree. But just because its origins began from Cree doesn't mean that the final quality, assembly and performance by the new manufacturer is on par with a genuine Cree product.

This bulb has a poor phosphor coating. It produces yellowish fringing within the beam (not easily seen in photos).

http://gemlight.cn/uploadfile/file/2...2817955110.pdf

Comment

Ah, thank you. I don't know why google didn't turn that up when I searched that number. I mean for high beams a little yellow fringing isn't terrible and a harsher color also isn't terrible, right? It's the focus and how far from reality the light output is that's the main concern for me. Maybe I'll give them a whirl, maybe I won't, the high beam bowls they're going in are pretty big but I'm not happy with the HIR in them compared to the older headlights I was using. I sacrificed some high beam power for having killer HID low beams, bigger projectors mean that they had to shrink the high beam a little so I'm trying to gain that back via brute force.

Comment

Which brand 9011 do you have?

CPF suggests the Toshiba 9011 as superior to all other 9011s. May want to give this a shot before experimenting with LED.

Comment

I had Toshiba but now I think I have Philips or Wagner? I was told Toshiba are discontinued? Also I guess I can type with my eyes shut because the black background is still a problem.

I do run the high beams on a dual relay harness, I have a pair of lightly used Toshiba I could try out but being basically winter now I don't know I'll be able to find anything out till a groundhog tells me I can drive my car again. I can however 'eyeball' things in the garage with the battery up at 13.4V.
              Last edited by Bitter; October 24th, 2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

The Sylvania 9011 with the H7-style filament architectures and true IR coating on the bulb spanks the Philips and outdoes the Toshiba, in my experience.

Comment

I'm not sure which you mean specifically, got a link to like amazon or something? I'm fairly sure I bought the Wagner branded ones which were reboxed Philips. All reading on them says that while they don't use a HIR coating anymore they're 10% brighter on average than the Toshiba bulbs and have better optics with less off axis reflections due to the HIR coating. I'm willing to try my Toshiba bulbs just to make sure, I can do a side by side at some point but the car is garaged for winter which came very suddenly today. Trick or treat indeed!

Comment

I would go to a parts store and try to find a Sylvania-branded 9011 bulb that looks like this:

https://dammedia.osram.info/media/re...IR1%209011.jpg

You see that filament architecture? That's the H7 architecture. You don't want the 9011 bulbs with the old architecture:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

The new Sylvania 9011 bulbs with the H7 architecture have a IR-reflective coating, and you can verify this by holding the bulb up to the light, and you'll see the glass "shimmer" like a true HIR bulb.

The Wagner bulbs are Philips, yes, but they're actually bulbs rejected by Philips QA.

The new H7 architecture should reduce reflections and ghost images.

Comment

Oh my. I'll have to check my local stock for that! Or try my luck online for them. Thank you for th4e side by side shots!

Comment

I tried to find them on Amazon, but it looks like the Sylvania 9011 bulbs they have are actually made by Philips LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JVH2YQ1T4HZ0V7

Comment

Yeah, that's part of why I was sup confused.

Comment

Philips and Sylvania 9011s were made by Vosla. Vosla stopped production, so Silvana started making them in Korea with a while new design. You'll find the newer, likely better design at parts stores. Just check the package for the updates design.

I promise I'm not done but I can't spelled with this dark background and I'm swpyi g on a phone.

Comment

If you change the font color to somethingh lighter you can see it, there's some other truck also but I forgot thqat it was. I just type blindly now.

Comment

Working...
                              X