Kia LED Projectors (K900, Forte)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kia LED Projectors (K900, Forte)

Hi everybody! I have a pair of Kia K900 LED headlights & a pair of Kia Forte LED headlights from the 19 models. I can get whatever pictures wanted I just linked to some basic ones I took.
    Each headlamp weighs about 50 pounds & has hardcore reenforced brackets. The projectors are pretty heavy too. Iíve opened one K900 headlight so far. Removed the motors. I only found like two threads from some dude that purchased a low+high from the close out like 5 years ago. He was missing ballast & wiring from what I can tell though.
    Iíve included a link to the album of pictures, if someone knows how itíd be cool to get some help turning them on. I probably wonít use these. The fan mounting is dependent on the AFS brackets making both low & high projectors unnecessarily bulky. Kia also says ďtemperature sensingĒ & ďautomatic current controlĒ so I donít know if fans are controlled through ecu/bcm, some other temp sensor in the headlight, ballast. There was another board in the headlight but it looked to control turn signal & the 40 DRLís in there, but who knows. Itís a cool setup/design especially for a $80k car no one buys & you can find used for like $49.
    https://imgur.com/a/mtWERmJ

Iíll open the Forte lights tomorrow or next day & probably use those projectors for a retrofit. Theyíre basically brand new & just regular round single lens projector im accustomed to. Ballasts seem to be housed inside the assembly. Thereís only like 1 openable compartment socket thing & I think itís the turn signal.
    Originally posted by gold94corolla
    it gets you all the b*tches

Thanks.

The K900 is pretty damn bulky. So if anyone considers these for a retro it would be solely doing it for style points. Not so sure the beam performance is any more better than a more compact single projector system.

The Forte on the other hand is compact and pretty damn good. It should be the same as the Hyundai Kona (below). Although Hyundai-Mobis projectors tend to cast the bracket and lens holder in one piece.

www.automotiveLEDresearch.com

Comment

Yeah the only reason I would consider the K900 projectors is because they look cool but the performance is OKAY, & they're giant & heavy.

I opened up the Forte light & everything from opening up the headlight to removing the projector was super duper easy, like half hour maybe. It also seems like cost was a big factor when making these headlights because it's pretty empty in there. Having just opened up the K900 headlights, this one is waaayyyy different. The projector cradle/mounting bracket thing is plastic, the adjustment screws which I've always seen to be metal in other headlights, are plastic. Projector came out from the mount with three screws, the shroud is all one piece, there's not much to this headlight.

The projector itself is fairly light, small fan on the back, the heatsink is the only non plastic material on the projector. The lens is for sure not glass.

There's this weird spot below the ballast that is a cage/holder thing, it can be accessed from behind the headlight with two screws and removed to service whatever goes in there. I can check tomorrow but i'm pretty sure a desiccant goes in there. I thought maybe it was switched into the new headlights when these were removed but the red thing you see is 3M tape that has not been used so I don't know what happened there. Also the harness has a left over connector that is not used.

Ballast is fairly small, thin, and light. The other side is completely open.

Link to more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/gWnK8in

QR code on the harness just links to the exact same thing written next to the QR code.

Comment

Thanks for the pics! Looks like I was wrong. The Forte obviously uses a different projector. It's using a Seoul Semi chip where as the Kona is using a LG Innotek. Both are 5-chip and appear to be very similar in dimensions.

The Kona is 29w on the low beam. What does the Forte draw?

Comment

Looks like 36 watts

Looks like materials?

And whatever this means

Comment

Originally posted by LonzBera View Post
            Looks like materials?
            Thanks for the pictures.
            Looks like the low beam projector lens ("low proj lens") is acrylic (PMMA), and the housing lens ("out lens") is polycarbonate. But what is inner lens ("inr lens")?
            Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post

Thanks for the pictures.
              Looks like the low beam projector lens ("low proj lens") is acrylic (PMMA), and the housing lens ("out lens") is polycarbonate. But what is inner lens ("inr lens")?
              Maybe the little diffuser lens on the DRL?

https://imgur.com/a/B9qoq47

Those 4 petal looking things light up I havenít taken that assembly/set up apart yet

Comment

Originally posted by LonzBera View Post

Maybe the little diffuser lens on the DRL?

Those 4 petal looking things light up I havenít taken that assembly/set up apart yet
                Interesting. I wonder why they chose polycarbonate for an optical element that doesn't need to withstand impact. I thought acrylic (in general) has better optical clarity than polycarbonate, but acrylic is not as durable as polycarbonate when used as an (external) housing lens.
                Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post

Interesting. I wonder why they chose polycarbonate for an optical element that doesn't need to withstand impact. I thought acrylic (in general) has better optical clarity than polycarbonate, but acrylic is not as durable as polycarbonate when used as an (external) housing lens.
                  I believe PC is chosen for lenses due to its better thermal properties.

Comment

Projectors are bulky, but already fitted in Ford Mondeo mk3, and Caddy/Touran 1gen.

Simillar Projectors are in EU kia Ceed, and Sportage.
                    Ceed has same shape of lens as K900/Forte, also same DRL leds around it, like Forte. But as i see K900 has svivel projector and ceed has same radiator as Forte or Kona.
                    i'll need to make few pics and make another thread about EU models.

Originally posted by evo77 View Post

I believe PC is chosen for lenses due to its better thermal properties.
                    Its also more scratch-resistant not as fragile as eg Koito lens. But unfortunately whole assembly is more "cost-effective"

Comment

Comparison of standard asymetric Mobis from Sportage vs Left asymetric Mobis from Ceed - You can see big offset to the left in Ceed beam (whiteboard was 1m (3ft far)

Each one has more glare above cutoff, also both cutoffs are not as sharp as Koito.

*upper one Sportage, lower oone Ceed (left one)

Comment

Working...
                      X