Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cadillac says 5k for new headlights, help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadillac says 5k for new headlights, help?

So i bought a Platinum trim escalade, came home from deployment and what in the f, my headlights are mismatched. No company can do anything with them and tells me the LEDS cant be replaced. Well for 5 grand for a new set im looking to give it a try.

I bought a replacement assembly that was damaged as cadillac only offers the whole housing new at around 2599 each.

I guess when i get the damaged housing in I can see what im working with to try and plan on how to replace the LEDS, as Im not gonna pay 1/5 the total price of the car for some headlights.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

damaged housing on its way

​​​​​​

I feel like adding some flare, color changing, demon eyes, or just tinting the blinker and blacking the housing would be really cool. Im very handy but never messed with Headlights much. Im afraid the yellowing is a reflective finish fail, or LED burning out or both, and am more than happy to send the assembly in to be recoated/re-aluminumed if possible.

Here are the headlights off which has me hoping it is simply a light diode

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Im pretty certain the large top projector is the actual headlight, the two inner are the hi-beams and the stack vertically down from the headlight are simply beauty lights

Comment

Unfortunately yeah the only way is to replace the entire thing. or replace the individual emitters if you can solder well and have exact spares. That's the curse of LED headlights.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
        Unfortunately yeah the only way is to replace the entire thing. or replace the individual emitters if you can solder well and have exact spares. That's the curse of LED headlights.
        I can solder just fine, spent plenty of time with car audio, airsoft(replacing them cheap china wires), However handling of a LED how worried should i be? The whole dont touch the light with your hands as the oils will ruin them still apply?

How worried should i be about overheating via solder should i get?

EDIT:
        What are the chances its a ballast issue? Since the light looks good off i was told it shouldnt be a physical part but a ballast, or diode problem. If i open it up and find the lights and lenses fine looking clear and blemish free would that be my indication of a ballast issue? Most ballast related to LED stuff i read says if the ballast is bad the light flickers or acts burnt out. Then again a ton of LED lighting stuff is industrial building lighting and not headlight specific that im finding.
        Last edited by PAPA_E; April 12th, 2019, 05:43 AM.

Comment

There is no way a single channel LED driver powering a white LED, is going to cause a color shift like that.

Something attacked and aged the phosphors in the LED. That is a manufacturing defect. Possibly the headlight is not properly sealed, the adhesives used in the housing reacted with the LED, plastics in the housing outgassed, or the LEDs were not properly handled at manufacturing. Something as simple as having a rubber band in the same box as the LEDs during shipping can attack the phosphors in a white LED and cause major color shifting and light output loss.

This should be covered under warranty. Do not walk away without warranty covered replacement, even garbage Chinese LEDs typically have 20,000 hour ratings before significant color shifting can be observed. Unless your Cadilac is a time machine, there is no way the LEDs have seen 20,000 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
            There is no way a single channel LED driver powering a white LED, is going to cause a color shift like that.

Something attacked and aged the phosphors in the LED. That is a manufacturing defect. Possibly the headlight is not properly sealed, the adhesives used in the housing reacted with the LED, plastics in the housing outgassed, or the LEDs were not properly handled at manufacturing. Something as simple as having a rubber band in the same box as the LEDs during shipping can attack the phosphors in a white LED and cause major color shifting and light output loss.

This should be covered under warranty. Do not walk away without warranty covered replacement, even garbage Chinese LEDs typically have 20,000 hour ratings before significant color shifting can be observed. Unless your Cadilac is a time machine, there is no way the LEDs have seen 20,000 hours.
            Cadillac and the dealerships told me its 100% on me to replace. Vehicle is a 2013 and I dont expect that stance to change. I am really just going to have to find a way to correct the LEDs in the housing and hope that I can make it work. Car trade in value is like 17-18k so there is no way im buying new lights.

Comment

Working...
            X