Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon Eye Overheat?

Good morning all,

I've installed Profile Pixel OneColor (red) demon eyes from TRS in my 2016 Subaru WRX. I also installed their HID Retro Quik H1 system. I wired up the demon eyes to be off when the HID's are on, as I have heard that heat could be an issue with both on at the same time.

With that being said, my passenger side demon eye is working without fault, but my driver side demon eye is occasionally on, but not consistently. I have triple checked the wiring to verify that everything is connected, that there is power driven to the demon eye, that it is properly grounded, and that there are no loose connections.

So I have decided to do an experiment to see if it is possible that the demon eye led chip is experiencing heat issues. Last night I did some double checking to verify flow of current, and check my wiring for the fourth time, at which point the driver side demon eye came on. I tested it with the switch, on off, on off, turn on the headlights, turn them off. The demon eye was fully functional. So I took a drive last night for about 15 minutes with the headlights on, got back home, and the demon eye was barely lit. It was so faint that even in a dark garage it was challenging to see the faint red glow from inside the projector.

I decided to continue my experiment, to see if heat from the HID is a possible cause, and rode to work this morning (roughly 45 minutes) with the demon eyes on, and the headlights off. I got to work and both demon eyes were on.

This has brought me to you guys in search for help. I have contacted TRS regarding this issue, but was planning on completing my wiring this weekend for adding a timer to the circuit so that once I shut off my car, the demon eyes will remain on for 5 minutes, and so I am looking for suggestions on possible fixes. I was thinking of adding a heat sink to the back of the led chips, but I have never dealt with heat sinks, and am unsure if a heat sink would make a difference as everything is inside the headlight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Both LED's working -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5EaCpVKlL23UU1TMHhfSFFJdGExQUtTMDZ1MjhZN Uxid2FJ
    Both LED's after headlights have been on for a short time -> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...BaWV8zNkVob0FZ
    Close up of drivers side LED after headlights have been on ->https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...AxTm9nRUl0dWk4
    Last edited by Crawler45; March 15th, 2019, 09:55 AM.

Pictures are not showing for me.
    Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Originally posted by satrya View Post
      Pictures are not showing for me.
      Updated the links.

Comment

I'm a bit confused. If after 45 minutes they are running fine, do you have a heat issue?

Depending on how much room you have adding a heatsink should be easy. And it will work in a closed headlight, it just needs to move the heat away from the led emitters

Comment

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post
          I'm a bit confused. If after 45 minutes they are running fine, do you have a heat issue?

Depending on how much room you have adding a heatsink should be easy. And it will work in a closed headlight, it just needs to move the heat away from the led emitters
          The demon eye in question seems to experience heat issues after the headlights have been on for as little as 5 minutes. The demons eyes are wired so they are not running at the same time as the headlights. I reached out to TRS and they are issuing me a replacement demon eye as they feel that it is defective based on the ledís intermittent on-off state.

So next weekend when I take my headlight apart to replace the demon eye, would it be beneficial to add a heat sink just for additional piece of mind?

Comment

Sounds right, if it was having issues after 5 minutes then it wouldn't have even got hot yet.

Personally I over do everything and I try to keep everything as cool as possible in my projects, so if it were me I probably would as I have pieces around to do so. Is it worth your effort to do so, I'm not sure and no idea how necessary it would really be

Comment

Originally posted by bnevets27 View Post
              \Is it worth your effort to do so, I'm not sure and no idea how necessary it would really be
              mixed feelings from me as well if it's worthwhile. it's more possible that adding heatsink material to the led would allow it to heat up more, as the location of the demon eye is within the hot area of the projector.
              The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time

Comment

Thinking out loud here. Could be a bad solder joint that when expanding even from slight heat from a bulb is breaking the connection. Led's (for the most part) don't recover from damage like that, heat will color shift them and cause them to dim over time. All in all, they either work or dont...Ever again. So I'd look at your other variables. Driver temp limit, EMI, solder joints/connection in general.

Comment

This looks good.

Comment

Working...
                  X