2009 Autocar LED upgrade...help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Autocar LED upgrade...help

We recently got this 2009 Autocar xpeditor in our fleet. Its sealed beams are...lacking, to say the least. We've got a set of LED's from amazon, but there is a problem.
    • The high beam and ground wires are switched, no big deal, but its just odd to me.
    • Low beam is really weak, basically worse then the sealed beams, but high beam works fine.
    Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks guys

Sorry to break it to ya, but those are trash. I'm glad you noticed that it's even worse than stock, which is saying something. Pick up some TruckLites or GE LED lamps if you want an upgrade without breaking the bank.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
    2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
      Sorry to break it to ya, but those are trash. I'm glad you noticed that it's even worse than stock, which is saying something. Pick up some TruckLites or GE LED lamps if you want an upgrade without breaking the bank.
      Well maybe. The hi beam is phenomenal, extremely bright. The low beam almost seems like a running light(in terms of output), as if there is something wonky going on with the wiring. The fact that they don't power on at all when plugged directly in, mostly confirms the wiring theory.

Comment

Have you tried both LEDs on both sides? Maybe one unit doesn't work properly on low beam

Comment

Originally posted by gold94corolla View Post
          Have you tried both LEDs on both sides? Maybe one unit doesn't work properly on low beam
          Yes, both lights behave the same on both sides.

Perhaps there is another variant of an H4 connection that I'm unaware of?

Comment

The H4 plug goes into your factory H4 plug, no special science required. Sounds like it's just crap.

Comment

Looks like your pin connections are not in the correct order from what I see in your images.

Comment

This is what spurred on my suspicion about there being something else out there.

None of the other amazon reviews said anything about pins being messed up, which makes me think that the problem is with the truck, and not the lights. I'm working on hunting down Autocar documentation now to see if i can figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by FAHEYGF87 View Post
                  None of the other amazon reviews said anything about pins being messed up, which makes me think that the problem is with the truck, and not the lights. I'm working on hunting down Autocar documentation now to see if i can figure it out.
                  You can test them with a multimeter; see which pairs of pins complete the ~12V when the OE light switch is moved from off, low, and high beams.
                  Jul 2012 ROTM (3-way quad headlight) ; Sep 2015 ROTM (custom muli-lens 7" fogs)

3-way quad wiring; foreground limiter; squirrel finder;

Comment

Try to test them directly on the battery. If that helps a new wire harness and relays should do the trick.
                    Subaru Outback retrofit:
                    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                    License plate lights with dual brightness:
                    https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Also maybe the truck is in some DRL mode and gives a pwmed signal to the low beams or it switches the low beam in serious so it only gets 6 volts.
                      Subaru Outback retrofit:
                      http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...aru-Outback-H6
                      License plate lights with dual brightness:
                      https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...hen-backing-up

Comment

Working...
                      X