Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernova v.4

I have seen this video:

and I can say that am very impressed with supernova v.4 performance according to what I have seen.

Almost OEM beam pattern with shine bright white color. Overpasses in brightness M-2stroke2.0 and DD-SL1.

But what is the real deal? A new high performance led bulb by HR (I can not find supernova brand so I belive is a private label) or just a rebranded Led Eagle Diamondvision/F2/generic with a lot of marketing and a lil bit overpriced?
    Last edited by n1kos3; December 19th, 2018, 06:45 AM.

I have the v.4 in H1 for high beams in one vehicle and the 2stroke 2.0 as high beams in another. Both vehicles also have a bi-xenon projector retrofit. Beam pattern is not bad with either, but hard to compare since they are different lights. I do prefer the 2.0 for the type of driving, it is noticeably lower in color temperature. I find that makes it easier to distinguish vegetation and deer on the rural roads I drive, as well as in inclement weather. I am willing to give up some lumens for better visibility. I either one is much better in color rendering when combined with a 4500K projector high beam. I wish that there were high CRI LED options for headlights. I would gladly pay extra for a neutral white, high CRI bi-led projector or high beam.

Comment

The Supernova V4 is a rebranded LED bulb. Its a 30W (real world) bulb that is just too bright and has a slight focus problem. These should not be installed in any reflector headlamps.

For projector lamps, its an ok choice but I wouldn't say its the best. There really is no such thing as best.

What vehicle is this going in?

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
        The Supernova V4 is a rebranded LED bulb. Its a 30W (real world) bulb that is just too bright and has a slight focus problem. These should not be installed in any reflector headlamps.

For projector lamps, its an ok choice but I wouldn't say its the best. There really is no such thing as best.

What vehicle is this going in?
        Renault Megane mk3 low beam...

Comment

Originally posted by Gnufsh View Post
          I would gladly pay extra for a neutral white, high CRI bi-led projector or high beam.
          Like the Koito bi-LED ?
          The new Subaru bi-LED is good, not sure. which brand, but probably Ichikoh.

Comment

I have the V.4s in my wifes Honda Fit. Excellent bulbs, low beams dont have as much of a smooth pool of light like the stock H4s had...but whats there is still very good, useful, controlled light output that appears to be brighter.

The high beams was the biggest improvement, and main reason why i switched bulbs. Stock the high beams were just a scattered joke and were absolutely unusable on any road. Poorest H4 high beam i have ever seen. Now with the V.4s fitted the highs are insane, I can actually use them now. Sorry no before pics, but here they are (i have since dropped the driver side a touch more to correct the pattern)

This video may not show...i dunno
            https://www.facebook.com/gregory.jon...7955737350278/

The "squirrel" finders are definitely a bit bright, but I have opposed her car on the road and there is no real offending glare while driving another normal car. Might be an issue for higher trucks.

Overall I am happy with them. I really did not want to tear apart my wifes new car to do a projector retrofit

Comment

Practically this: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2s2ArfS is the same bulb as the Supernova v4 or just a replica? I am confused...
              Last edited by n1kos3; December 21st, 2018, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by n1kos3 View Post
                  Practically this: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2s2ArfS is the same bulb as the Supernova v4 or just a replica? I am confused...
                  Well that makes me depressed...but I did buy em on sale! :/

Comment

Only "36W/6,000lm per bulb"? Weak, get the "45W/7,000lm" one brooo
                    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...960198736.html

Comment

Do we know something (not Chinese lumens ) about the chips that are used, in order to have a semi-real lumens output?

Comment

Nah, lumens is a function of the chip used, the driver used to power the chips, and the thermal design of the bulbs themselves as lumens drop as the bulb heats up.

2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
                        2017 Lexus CT200h F Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Haloruler64 View Post
                          Nah, lumens is a function of the chip used, the driver used to power the chips, and the thermal design of the bulbs themselves as lumens drop as the bulb heats up.
                          Agree, but at least is a starting point.

It would appear that they use CREE chips. I could not quite find the dedicated data sheet but it doe not look like the drop is huge - looking at 25 and 85 Celsius output.

I may consider to have one H1 kit spare for my dad’s car (projector bi-xenon), and I would probably pick a decent led rather than a set of ballast / bulbs (here takes ages to get anything).

Comment

Originally posted by Starflex978 View Post

Agree, but at least is a starting point.

It would appear that they use CREE chips. I could not quite find the dedicated data sheet but it doe not look like the drop is huge - looking at 25 and 85 Celsius output.
                            The V4 does not use Cree. This bulb (under other brand names) markets them often as being either a Cree chip (false) or using Cree "technology" which may be a partial truth but is only stated to add some sort of credibility to the quality of the design (but it really doesn't).

The chips are made by ETi (China). This company has supplied many of the cheap low quality LED chips found on numerous LED headlight bulbs. Since ETi is like a ghost, published datasheets or even working websites are non existent. I'm sure they are less transparent in Asia as they are here in North America. From what I could find out of earlier versions of this particular style chip, the junction temperature is 150 degrees C. If I recall when I tested the V4 with my thermal imager I was getting around 105 degrees C (don't quote me).

If I had to guess they are probably 1200 lm chips, maybe. But that means nothing. Again, lumens should never be a factor at determining bulb performance. Focus matters most. And then thermal design is second in order to keep the chips at its peak high level performance (in accordance to the manufacturers datasheet requirements) without any light degradation.

Comment

Evo,

Thanks for the super comprehensive reply.

Agree with your conclusion about the focus - totally agree with you. I was just guessing (without any measure at hand) that the led chip was thin enough to “resemble” the size of a halogen coil - anthough emission and angle would always be different.

Haloruler made a similar comment about the thermal management: as they have active cooling (as long as it works) I was thinking that this shouldn’t be a problem. I admit I am a total beginner in this space, with my first project just completed (bixenon projector in a Suzuki Jimny).

Thanks, humble pie and I will keep reading

Comment

Working...
                              X