Sk6812 rgb halos and ws2812b wheel lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sk6812 rgb halos and ws2812b wheel lights

So I build headlights as a hobby, generally just morimoto projectors and color matching. Iíve build many with analog 5050rgb, but recently decided I wanted to try digital on my next build. Iím looking into using the X2 music controller,5v drop in sk6812 halos and ws2812b strips for rim lights. The strips are available 12v or 5v, but the halos are only 5v. Would the controller step down the current or would I need to run power separate from the controller. Not trying to be a dummy, just ready to try something new. Iíve also thought of making my own pcb boards for these ws2812b, based on the price of drop ins. ($250+)

It appears the controller only has voltage input and can operate between 5 and 24 volts http://a.co/d/ciMLWay The cheap compact controllers like SP105E and SP108E have power output to the strips but do not step down voltage...learned the hard way when I connected the controller to 12v and forgot to disconnect the power out,the 5v strip was got pretty warm and didn't work correctly afterwards.

I'd wire the controller to 12v then separate 12v-5v converters to the halos and strips (if you chose 5v strips). I forgot where I read it but supposedly the 12v versions don't have the voltage drop issues (to the farther LEDs) in longer strips.

BTW I'm using 5v ws2812b's for outdoor and indoor Christmas lighting, with SP105E and SP107E controllers. Using an old PC power supply that conveniently has 5v and 12v outputs, also using an old 18v laptop power supply with a 5v step-down converter.
    Last edited by Eddie; December 6th, 2018, 03:49 PM.
    Originally posted by HK45
    I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

I really appreciate that! I didnít want to have to learn the hard way with the price of the rgb boards, the strips Iím not as concerned. So I will find a high amp step down and provide separate power to the leds and the controller. Are you satisfied with the ws2812? Iím thinking about buying 1000 breakout chips to make some light up gmc emblems and rgb gauge/ interior lights. I apologize if my terminology is off. I was a mechanic for 8 years, and now I am a low voltage tech specializing in door access systems so my vocabulary is more of a layman

Comment

Originally posted by Trevornoyes66 View Post
        I really appreciate that! I didnít want to have to learn the hard way with the price of the rgb boards, the strips Iím not as concerned. So I will find a high amp step down and provide separate power to the leds and the controller. Are you satisfied with the ws2812?
        It depends on what you mean by satisfied For automotive lighting I don't think they're bright enough for brake lights or primary turn signals, even one of the major sellers of addressable LED halos etc. (Automotive Custom Lighting) and some custom taillight/headlight LED modifiers suggest the same. For secondary/cosmetic lighting like halos, underbody glow, wheel lighting they should be fine.

íIm thinking about buying 1000 breakout chips to make some light up gmc emblems and rgb gauge/ interior lights. I apologize if my terminology is off. I was a mechanic for 8 years, and now I am a low voltage tech specializing in door access systems so my vocabulary is more of a layman
        I ordered this 100-piece board to experiment with http://a.co/d/iHcgvpP If you don't mind waiting they're much cheaper in larger quantities from aliexpress or China-Based eBay sellers.
        Originally posted by HK45
        I don't even look to see what Eddie writes anymore. I'm too busy staring at his avatar.

Comment

Working...
        X